PDA

View Full Version : Testing for starter problem

Alaskan RoverIIA
09-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi. My rover IIA 4 cyl petrol is doing something weird. Every now and then, and more3 and more often, when I go to start it with the key, I just get a "click". The first time this happened (last week), I was able to jump the starter from the battery positive terminal and it started just fine. Now I can't even do that. When I now bridge the starter positive wire terminal with a large amperage wire from the battery ++, I get nothing at all.

In the interim, it sometimes starts just with the key no problem. It's about 50/50 % now, and I never know which it will be.

I am breaking my back continually hand-cranking it.

I know there is a series of tests that will determine if it is starter, solenoid or switch.

PLease help...before I do my back in permanently!!

mongoswede
09-03-2010, 05:24 PM
1. is your battery healthy? if you measure the voltage with a meter is it at 12.6 volts or better?

2. have you tried applying a hammer to the side of the starter a couple of times. If you do this and the starter works after it is a sign that the brushes for the starter motor are sticking and replacement or rebuild is required.

3. Are all of your battery cables and ground cables in good shape with good insulation?

4. Perhaps the fender mounted starter solenoid is going bad.

Start with 1 and 2 and report. :thumb-up:

siii8873
09-03-2010, 05:36 PM
I had a similar problem with a starter. I cleaned the ground wireand it helped for a while. Then the non starting came back. I removed the starter and inspected the brushes and commutator. The commutator had wear ring where the brushes run. I carefully renewed the commutator by evenly sanding it down with a fine paper to eliminate wear and cleaned it with a good dielectric cleaner. Worked great ever since. Can just take it to a starter shop.
Ithink you said that you jumped the solenoid and it didn't help. I also had a loose connection on a solenoid which gave the same symptoms also.

Tim Smith
09-04-2010, 01:12 PM
If you are lucky, the wires are getting loose from the battery connectors or have a little corrosion that is causing and intermittent connection problem. Pull the wires out, cut a little wire off to make sure the wire at the connection is clean and bolt them back onto the terminal ends again.