PDA

View Full Version : S3 block cutting

LRover74
09-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Hello folks,
In refererence to my 2.25 gas engine.Before making the wrong combination,I seek advice from those that have been there done that.Is it advisible to have your engine block cut at any machine shop or are there recommended shops . Also,what added power will I get with the additional capacity cutting to 60,using 8: 1 head. Is a 9:1 head and 2.5 cam recommended for daily use. Regards

mongoswede
09-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Hello folks,
In refererence to my 2.25 gas engine.Before making the wrong combination,I seek advice from those that have been there done that.Is it advisible to have your engine block cut at any machine shop or are there recommended shops . Also,what added power will I get with the additional capacity cutting to 60,using 8: 1 head. Is a 9:1 head and 2.5 cam recommended for daily use. Regards

I don't understand what you mean by cutting...are you talking about having the cylinder diameters bored to a larger diameter or are you removing material from the top of the block?

That said...the 2.25 lump will never be a powerhouse. You can put the 2.5 cam in and bump the compression to 9:1 and you will probably notice an improvement in power and torque but its not going to be life changing. I was thinking about souping up a 2.25 for a little while....the cost vs benefit quickly became a poor choice...an engine swap seemed a more viable alternative....of course that in itself is a whole new realm of complexity and cost.

LRover74
09-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Yes,I meant reboreing and increasing the piston size. Well will get about 100 hp by doing that. Sawp is better nbut too involved for me.

adkrover
09-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Not all engine swaps are complicated. There are a lot of possibilities. I have a Robert Davis 3.0L which is basically a GM 4 cylinder industrial engine. It's a direct swap out with new engine mounts and bell housing adapter.

scott
09-04-2010, 07:58 AM
i had mine rebored to .060 over. that's as big as you can go, installed a 2.5 cam. and had the block shaved a bit, not to much cuz the there's an over hang on the head that'll come into contact with the timing chain cover. this is in a soft top 88. it's zippie but i only have one other 88 to compare it to and that one is carrying a hard top around. i got a 1 3/4 exhaust and weber 2 brl. this is supposed to bump the bhp up but i haven't dyno'd it so no real data for ya

LRover74
09-04-2010, 08:20 PM
OK I believe that when you say it is zippie it moves with somewhat lively.Don't compare it to the hard top .Compare it o how it used iea to do before the you bored it to 60; added 2.5 cam and shaved the head.

About Davis engine it is attractive.Has anyone figured a way to attach a GM 5-speed behing it as simply as the Davis engine fits?That will be ideal if you are going to swap--as we all know ,leaks and noise from the L/R is annoying.

For now,I will like to stay simple if it could do what I want.

Regards

gudjeon
09-05-2010, 10:58 AM
I find the leaks and noise rather endearing. Give me all your old stuff after anyone decides to swap.:rolleyes:

scott
09-05-2010, 11:09 AM
OK I believe that when you say it is zippie it moves with somewhat lively.Don't compare it to the hard top .Compare it o how it used iea to do before the you bored it to 60; added 2.5 cam and shaved the head.

About Davis engine it is attractive.Has anyone figured a way to attach a GM 5-speed behing it as simply as the Davis engine fits?That will be ideal if you are going to swap--as we all know ,leaks and noise from the L/R is annoying.

For now,I will like to stay simple if it could do what I want.

Regards

why not a disco/defender 5 speed?

and it is zippier that it was before. the biggest improvement is in the performance of the weber 32/36 dgv. the 2.5 cam was needed to get it closer to not being too much carb

spacemutt
09-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Rather than going into major engineering, start with the basics. A new carb would help. It doesn't need to be a Weber. A brand new Weber will seem like a vast improvement compared to a worn Zenith. So a new Zenith will also give a vast improvement.
Also, Range Rover/Discovery diffs will up the gearing and give higher cruising speed.

Unless you're looking for a project, in which case, bore away. :p

LRover74
09-05-2010, 06:12 PM
I am not looking for a project;more so,I am at a crossroad. I presently run a Rochester carb so gas is not a limiting factor. To give some details, compression in the cylinders 137,152,155,160 having done several times and averaging (8:1 head). I believe these numbers together with alot of oil usage points to a rebuilt..Therefore,I am seeking input from all experienced folks on the board. I am not a fan of swaps -- reason for these postings. I appreciate all input. Regards

kevkon
09-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Before you can find an answer to the question of what engine mods and/or engine swaps, you need to be clear on what exactly you are trying to achieve. Are you looking for more top end performance such as highway driving? More low end torque as in serious off- roading? Something in between? Low speed drivability and acceleration? Durability?
The answer will pretty much dictate what course to take. For example, the stock 2.25 could be extensively modified and provide a surprising amount of hp, however it would come with a price and that's not just in money.

LRover74
09-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks for your input. You surely put a more specific spin on the choices. My intention will be top-end without last of the present low end. Bear in mind that I am not expecting a modern day vehicle.I believe all responses so far were aiming at a daily driver,and rightly so.Considering that I don't want an extreme machine,one with a short life;what then will be your recommendation. Regards

kevkon
09-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Given what you have said regarding swaps, I'd rebuild the existing motor. I would definately have a qualified shop go through it and bring it all to spec.