PDA

View Full Version : transmission leak

LRover74
09-03-2010, 07:54 PM
My S3 transmission leaks in front towards the bell housing . In addition the transfer case is always over filled,I suspect that the oil leaks into the t-case. Are there easy fix?

gudjeon
09-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Selector forks (if this is the culprit) will always weep somewhat. The transferbox filling up from the transmission is caused by leaking output shaft seal in the back of the tranny. Transferbox has to be separated from the tranny and seal replaced. I would give both a go at the same time with the seat box and floor removed.

Just my 2 cents worth. That's .82 cent after taxes.:thumb-up:

LRover74
09-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Thank you,the rear output seal can be replaced with transmission in place in vehicle.The front leak is causing poddling when vehicle is parked.The thickness of the oil don't look loke engine oil.Could it be from the front output shaft instead? Regards

gudjeon
09-03-2010, 10:14 PM
If the front out put leaks, it likely contaminated the clutch. In this case, you would have major slippage. I realize the T-case can be done in situ, but removal of the floor will make id'ing and remedying leaks much easier.:D

LRover74
09-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Thank you.I have no slipage but may be it is yet to a start doing so.Well I am going to pull the engine for repairs so the rear engine seal will be changed. I believe the trans. will have to be pulled also to do the seals.
Question: can these trans.seals be changed with ease? Regards

gudjeon
09-05-2010, 10:56 AM
The seals themselves are changed easily. Getting at the outputs are fairly straight forward. The inner seal between the units and the selector forks are one that should be read in a manual. I read my manual and perform stuff word for word and it is always spot on.:thumb-up: