PDA

View Full Version : headliner

siii8873
09-04-2010, 07:06 PM
I need to do one of my least favorite jobs, headliner. Never did finish it on my first rover. Has anyone done anything different from the standard hoop&fabric headliner? I don't quite understand how to do them.
I'm thinking of contact cementing some ensolite type foam to the top and then covering that somehow. Don't know what I would cover it with or how. I have the top unbolted for a windscreen change so now would be the time.

John O from Jersey
09-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Mercedes Jim did a real slick job that I plan on copying - here's his link:

http://www.seriestrek.com/headliner.html

If Jim is listening, I'd love to hear what adhesive you used. (and if it held up)

John O

luckyjoe
09-05-2010, 07:16 AM
I've been putting this off for a few years, but I'm now ready to do it. It is based on Mercedes Jim's project. Here is what I'm using:

insulation = http://www.lobucrod.com/
Headliner = http://www.perfectfit.com/15593/154092/Marine-Carpet-and-Hulliner/Hulliner-and-Headliner-72.html

I have everything laid-out, I just need to finish a few mods to the roof panel. I'll check my notes as I think I picked an adhesive from McMaster-Carr...

Regards,

Tim Smith
09-05-2010, 11:12 AM
I did something similar to Jim's.
http://picasaweb.google.com/smithco1/BumbasHeadliner?authkey=Gv1sRgCJzMg46bneCP5gE&feat=directlink

I have to admit though, that after having that headliner for years, this summer it started to separate from the metal roof. I believe my choice of 1/2 inch closed cell foam may have been too heavy or maybe it didn't absorb the glue enough. Either way, combine that with the hot hot sun we had this summer and the ceiling started to fall down. :(

Be sure to choose a light insulated middle layer and you should be good to go.

adkrover
09-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I used Dynamat with Dynaliner foam insulation over that. I had to wire brush the old crap off the ceiling to make sure it would stick but once I had it cleaned up, it went on great. Then I installed a new headliner from Badger Coachworks. I had the original hoops for the headliner so it wasn't very expensive.

siii8873
09-05-2010, 05:16 PM
I started the badger headliner route once. I couldn't get it to look as good as I liked. What sequence did you use to install the liner? You must have to seperate the front to back slats, put hoops in liner and then rivet? slats back in. Do you do all this in place in top? I would consider this route but really struggled with it.
For the covered foam route what adhesive would everyone recommend for the foam to the top and the liner to the foam?
I do have the top on saw horses so it should make the job a little easier. Spent a good part of today getting the old liner remnants off, Fun:mad:
Bob

adkrover
09-06-2010, 11:32 AM
If you purchased a new headliner from Badger, it should have come with some instructions. I did put the hoops into the headliner and riveted the whole thing before putting it in. I think I did the front first and then the rear. The hard part I had was getting the rear board (above the rear door) in place. I think I had to trim it a bit. It has to be bolted to the headliner and as I recall it involved one of the bolts that secures the safari top. The rear board had angle brackets that secured to the roof using the rear bolts of the safari top. Then you stretch the headliner to the front and secure with screws. It was a while ago and I was having to figure it out as I went along. I had purchased my truck as a bit of a basket case from a previous owner that ran out of time and money half way into the resto but fortunately most of the parts were there.

The foam I used came with an adhesive back but I used extra adhesive. I used a 3M spray contact cement that was made specifically for the application so it resists extreme weather. If you search the web for Dynamat and Dynaliner, most of the retailers selling it will also offer a spray contact adhesive. Try JC Whitney or Jeggs.

For screws, I just used a sheetmetal screw with upholstery washers. Those are really easy to get at Lowe's etc....

siii8873
09-06-2010, 01:00 PM
I think with an 88 you have to do the back first. there is a clip attached to the hoop that would be impossible to attach after the front liner is in.
I didn't think that the headliner could be installed all assembled. That would be a good way to do it. Did you need to bend the bows a little to get them over the galv lip and that was not a problem. I had a hard enough time getting them out with the fabric cut.

gudjeon
09-06-2010, 03:55 PM
PL3000 construction adhesive to glue foam to inside of roof. Glue gray fake leather to that using the same. Hasn't fallen on to me in five years. Snow doesn't melt on top anymore.:thumb-up:

redmondrover
09-06-2010, 07:37 PM
We copied Mercedes Jim's idea. We used 1/4" closed cell foam and hull liner both from PerfectFit--same place and same material LuckyJoe is using. I've got a fairly detailed write up on it at the blog I kept during the rebuild: redmondrover.blogspot.com

Its only been back on the road for 3 days so we will see how well it works and how long it lasts.

crankin
09-07-2010, 01:21 PM
I did something similar to Jim's.
http://picasaweb.google.com/smithco1/BumbasHeadliner?authkey=Gv1sRgCJzMg46bneCP5gE&feat=directlink

I have to admit though, that after having that headliner for years, this summer it started to separate from the metal roof. I believe my choice of 1/2 inch closed cell foam may have been too heavy or maybe it didn't absorb the glue enough. Either way, combine that with the hot hot sun we had this summer and the ceiling started to fall down. :(

Be sure to choose a light insulated middle layer and you should be good to go.

Tim, just looked at your pics. Great job! Have you noticed if the dark interior makes it feel like a cave? Would you stick with the dark if you did it again?

Tim Smith
09-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Good point.

I thought the near black fabric would give me a feeling of seclusion and comfort but to tell you the truth, it's a bit too dark and unless you have good interior lighting, you'll have a hard time finding anything inside the truck when you are driving at night. I used a series of under counter LED lights that are 12v native for interior lighting and that works out pretty well. When I'm sleeping in the truck on a camping trip, I can read a book with the lights and then when you turn them off, there is no mistaking that it's nighty night time.

I think the next time I redo a ceiling, I would go with a lighter fabric. Not white though because it will show every greasy finger print and probably keep me up at night. ;)

siii8873
09-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Started on my headliner work. Finshed cleaning off old adhesive PITA!!
Decided to glue in closed cell foam which I will be covering with GM headliner. The foam is 3/8" thick, this leaves the center rib on the top about 3/8" above foam. Think I will glue in a second layer to level it all out better. What is the best way to finish out the front area? I need to integrate this with the front trim panel. Need to think about this area more, thoughts?

SafeAirOne
09-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Could you just use the front facia piece from the deluxe interior?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/5004451472_45499a1f7e_z.jpg

SalemRover
09-19-2010, 08:34 AM
No one has mentioned a fiberglass LaSalle headliner with built in radio and speaker mounts?

siii8873
09-19-2010, 09:10 AM
That is the front piece I have to integrate w/ my headliner.
Don't think I can run my foam all the way to the front and still install this trim piece. Thanks for the picture that will help. Took it off but had to remember how it went back in.

adkrover
09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
It's been a while so I can't recall exactly how it went together but I used 1/2" foam and 1/8 Dynamat and it worked without cutting my front trim piece. If I recall, you are using two layers of 3/8" so you're buildup is only 1/8" thicker than mine. It should work out if you're resourceful. Use the force.

Tim Smith
09-23-2010, 06:37 AM
I have to agree. I think the standard trim will work without too much trouble.

crankin
01-04-2011, 03:11 PM
I have been working on my headliner using sintra and some vinyl. Here is the upper lift gate...not 100% bolted down but almost there. Next roof.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dcAzqvv_A6U/TSOLB2P84JI/AAAAAAAABPw/EF2NLl_oA7g/s800/photo.JPG

amcordo
01-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Show-off.

I have been working on my headliner using sintra and some vinyl. Here is the upper lift gate...not 100% bolted down but almost there. Next roof.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dcAzqvv_A6U/TSOLB2P84JI/AAAAAAAABPw/EF2NLl_oA7g/s800/photo.JPG

rosims
01-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Mark, The front peice in your picture; how is it mounted to the roof or wind screen? I have a 67 109 that I'm restoring, I have the peices but it was disassembled when I got it. I can't figure out how it is mounted

Robert

rosims
01-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Could you just use the front facia piece from the deluxe interior?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/5004451472_45499a1f7e_z.jpg
Mark, The front peice in your picture; how is it mounted to the roof or wind screen? I have a 67 109 that I'm restoring, I have the peices but it was disassembled when I got it. I can't figure out how it is mounted

Robert

SafeAirOne
01-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Mark, The front peice in your picture; how is it mounted to the roof or wind screen?

On each end there is a small screw that screws into a tab on that black pad that runs along the roofline, just below the headliner in the photo.

The fastener above the rear view mirror screws into a metal bracket which is held in place by the two center-most bolts+nuts at the windshield/roof connection.

rosims
01-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks, that's the missing link, I need. It's the bracket in the middle. I have to look at mine ago tho, I dont think it has a hole in the middle. It has 3 or 4 small screw holes on the top edge.