PDA

View Full Version : Pro Comp or Old Man Emu shocks?

mcb
09-04-2010, 10:07 PM
My 88" with hard top and rack has 7 yr old RM parabolics (2 leaf front, 3 leaf rear). The Rover is not used for extreme 4 wheeling, just around town and gravel / mud roads, snow, etc. The current Rancho shocks allow a lot of body roll and I intend to replace them with either Pro Comp or Old Man Emu shocks. I'd appreciate advice on which brand is the stiffest and would be most effective in reducing body roll.
Thanks! - C. Brown, Colorado

luckyjoe
09-05-2010, 07:21 AM
I'm interested in the responses as well. Although I'm between standard LR military shocks and Old Man Emu...

Regards,

Terrys
09-05-2010, 08:34 AM
My buddy just put Pro-Comps on with the same springs you have. I'm not real impressed with the shocks.

bkreutz
09-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I don't think any shocks are going to have much effect on correcting body lean (not counting air shocks). A shocks main purpose is to dampen spring oscillation instead of supporting any vehicle weight. If it were mine I'd be thinking about adapting some kind of anti roll bar setup into the Rover. Wouldn't be original but would be the effective way to address this condition.

LR Max
09-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Look at some Bilsteins if body roll concerns you. I get some pretty good body roll with my OME shocks.

BTW, all the white body shocks are THE SAME!!!! Ranchos, Procomp, etc. ALL THE SAME!!!

alaskajosh
09-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Great Basin Rovers has Bilsteins for Series rigs. I think they're actually a few bucks cheaper and it seems that most people agree they are a superior shock.

They are reported to be a little stiffer than OME.

At any rate it's worth talking to Bill about the subject. He's carries and uses both and can talk your ear off about differences and performance.

mcb
09-07-2010, 06:23 PM
:thumb-up: Thanks to all for the comments and for every one's benefit here are Bill's (of Great Basin Rovers) comments -

-The Santana built Land Rovers equipped with parabolic springs had sway bars installed (or at least a factory option) to help with body sway / roll that is natural to parabolic springs.
-Ride quality and body sway control is quite subjective. He has tried both Old Man Emu and Bilstein on his 88" equipped with parabolics.
-Both Old Man Emu and Bilstein are high quality shocks; Old Man Emu shocks are a bit softer (less stiff) than Bilstein shocks as they are designed for the wash boards of Australian dirt roads.
-The Bilsteins result in a little bit firmer, more controlled ride than the Old Man Emus.
-Tight fitting bushings are important

NickDawson
09-08-2010, 07:12 AM
-Tight fitting bushings are important

Ive got procomps on mine and have nothing to compare them to other than the rusted, busted original shocks that were on there. That said, I've been pleased with them.
When I called our hosts ready to spend the money for OME shocks, they talked me out of them and into the procomps.

i had a heck of a time with one bushing and ended up cutting it a bit, as a result it doesnt fit as tightly as I'd like...but hasn't seemed to present any problems either.

rejeep
09-08-2010, 08:56 AM
i am currently researching para springs for my 109 and I too have been talked out of the OME by several vendors...
I have run OME suspention systems on many jeeps (all coil sprung) and have nothing but great thigns to say about them...

I do however run Bilsteins on my leaf spring YJ and they are a far superior shock when it comes to body roll...
I run soft flexy 5" BDS springs and run the jeep without a sway bar front or rear...

smukai
09-08-2010, 09:50 AM
109" Station Wagon w/ RM parabolic springs (heavy duty) and OME shocks. It's been a great set up and I wouldn't change a thing!