PDA

View Full Version : overdrive removal

stonefox
09-05-2010, 10:12 PM
I would like to remove the Fairley overdrive unit from my 71 IIa parts truck and install in my 63IIa. I've removed the linkage as well as the hardware from the unit ,but it still seems to be holding fast .Is it just a matter of braking the old gasket free from the housing or am I missing something here. I'm assuming the gasket will be shot in the process,has anyone used RTV gasket sealer instead of the a replacement original gasket.
Thanks Sean

Momo
09-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Yeah, probably just stuck fast to the gasket. Get in there with a rubber mallet and bash away, it should shock it enough to break it free. Once you have a bit of a gap you can take a hardwood wedge and tap it in there all around to widen the gap. It should slide off pretty quickly after that. Don't use any metal prying tools or you will mar the mating surfaces.

stonefox
09-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks Momo, that's kinda what I was thinking.

rwollschlager
09-06-2010, 12:28 AM
you can used rtv, but be careful which type you use as some are corrosive to the aluminum casing. If you don't want to splurge on a new gasket from RN or RDS you can get some gasket paper from the local auto shop or hardware store and make a pretty close replica with a razor.

-Rob

JackIIA
09-06-2010, 09:08 AM
you can used rtv, but be careful which type you use as some are corrosive to the aluminum casing. If you don't want to splurge on a new gasket from RN or RDS you can get some gasket paper from the local auto shop or hardware store and make a pretty close replica with a razor.

-Rob

What he said! I use this stuff for that reason. It's not cheap though. You can get it at CAP auto and I'm guessing NAPA.

superstator
09-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Just don't do what I always do, and forget to put everything in neutral.