PDA

View Full Version : Good + Fair LR Mechanic on Nantucket / Cape / or in MA?

IslandRover
09-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Hi everyone....I'm a LR Series III owner with a '73 in good condition. Im trying to find someone I can trust to perform some work on it for a fair price....but I live on Nantucket year round and don't have bottomless pockets. Does anyone known of a good LR mechanic on Nantucket...or the Cape....or in MA? Thanks in advance. I'm sure I will be back in here to ask questions when I dive in on some more of the technical repairs. I appreciate your help.

KevinNY
09-07-2010, 11:18 AM
CitysideGarage.com

IslandRover
09-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the link Kevin.

What is a fair hourly rate for a knowledgable Series mechanic in your mind?

Burlsube
09-07-2010, 11:34 AM
+1 for Alan at Cityside. It will be a little bit of a hike from ACK to Holliston....

I have a friend who goes to Reimel's in Plymouth. I haven't used them or heard much about them.

KevinNY
09-07-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't know, depends on where you are located.

fausto
09-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Go visit Chris Witte and Jake Lancaster at Foreign Affairs off the Madaket Road in Madaket. Very knowledgeable and fun. Chris owns a IIA.

IslandRover
09-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Reimels = $70 p/h
Foreign Affairs = $125 p/h

Any thoughts on if the cost difference is a location upcharge (nantucket)? Or truely is better quality / more experienced (and I would assume faster) service?

Thanks again for your input.

Burlsube
09-08-2010, 09:48 AM
I guess it depends what it needs. My guess is that it would be a pain to go off island. You would need a car to follow you, at least two round trip ferry rides, etc.

Jared
09-08-2010, 10:01 AM
I use Reimels service pretty regularly. Always been happy with the service. If you need it done quickly though, speed is not necessarily Dave's strong suit. But he's fair, follow-through and very knowledgeable.

IslandRover
09-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Sounds good + Thanks for all your input. I'd love to give the business to a local (on island) mechanic / garage here but the prices here are just too much for me (no offense to any of them). I just don't have bottomless pockets like some of the "seasonal" LR owners that live here might have (again no offense). As a year round resident we get discounted rates to bring a car off island and back on island so I'm not worried about that if I can find a shop I can trust. Work needed: Engine tune-up; replace rear brake shoes; replace rear axel seal; replace upper ball joint; radiator/cooling issue; interior electrical work; gauge adjustments; overall check-up / maintenance. One last question - any thoughts on Badger Coachworks? They seem to be the closest Series speciality shop (on the Cape). Thanks again - really appreciate your insight!

KevinNY
09-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Badger does canvas and upholstery work, not general mechanics.

stomper
09-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Island Rover, I am actually coming to Nantucket Sept 24th through the 26th with my family. I am toying of the idea of bringing my rover out to the island, rather than renting a J**p. Sounds like you have a bit more work than I could help you with during my short stay, but if you need help with the tune-up, I would be happy to lend you a hand, so you won't get stranded trying to get it onto the mainland. P.M. me if you would like the help.