Good + Fair LR Mechanic on Nantucket / Cape / or in MA?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IslandRover
    Low Range
    • Sep 2010

Good + Fair LR Mechanic on Nantucket / Cape / or in MA?

Hi everyone....I'm a LR Series III owner with a '73 in good condition. Im trying to find someone I can trust to perform some work on it for a fair price....but I live on Nantucket year round and don't have bottomless pockets. Does anyone known of a good LR mechanic on Nantucket...or the Cape....or in MA? Thanks in advance. I'm sure I will be back in here to ask questions when I dive in on some more of the technical repairs. I appreciate your help.
  • KevinNY
    4th Gear
    • Oct 2006

CitysideGarage.com
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Comment

• IslandRover
      Low Range
      • Sep 2010

Fair Hourly Rate?

Thanks for the link Kevin.

What is a fair hourly rate for a knowledgable Series mechanic in your mind?

Comment

• Burlsube
        Low Range
        • Jul 2010

+1 for Alan at Cityside. It will be a little bit of a hike from ACK to Holliston....

I have a friend who goes to Reimel's in Plymouth. I haven't used them or heard much about them.

Comment

• KevinNY
          4th Gear
          • Oct 2006

I don't know, depends on where you are located.

Comment

• fausto
            Low Range
            • Oct 2009

Service in Nantucket

Go visit Chris Witte and Jake Lancaster at Foreign Affairs off the Madaket Road in Madaket. Very knowledgeable and fun. Chris owns a IIA.

Comment

• IslandRover
              Low Range
              • Sep 2010

Reimels = $70 p/h
              Foreign Affairs = $125 p/h

Any thoughts on if the cost difference is a location upcharge (nantucket)? Or truely is better quality / more experienced (and I would assume faster) service?

Thanks again for your input.

Comment

• Burlsube
                Low Range
                • Jul 2010

I guess it depends what it needs. My guess is that it would be a pain to go off island. You would need a car to follow you, at least two round trip ferry rides, etc.

Comment

• Jared
                  Low Range
                  • Nov 2006

I use Reimels service pretty regularly. Always been happy with the service. If you need it done quickly though, speed is not necessarily Dave's strong suit. But he's fair, follow-through and very knowledgeable.

Comment

• IslandRover
                    Low Range
                    • Sep 2010

Sounds good + Thanks for all your input. I'd love to give the business to a local (on island) mechanic / garage here but the prices here are just too much for me (no offense to any of them). I just don't have bottomless pockets like some of the "seasonal" LR owners that live here might have (again no offense). As a year round resident we get discounted rates to bring a car off island and back on island so I'm not worried about that if I can find a shop I can trust. Work needed: Engine tune-up; replace rear brake shoes; replace rear axel seal; replace upper ball joint; radiator/cooling issue; interior electrical work; gauge adjustments; overall check-up / maintenance. One last question - any thoughts on Badger Coachworks? They seem to be the closest Series speciality shop (on the Cape). Thanks again - really appreciate your insight!

Comment

• KevinNY
                      4th Gear
                      • Oct 2006

Badger does canvas and upholstery work, not general mechanics.

Comment

• stomper
                        5th Gear
                        • Apr 2007

Island Rover, I am actually coming to Nantucket Sept 24th through the 26th with my family. I am toying of the idea of bringing my rover out to the island, rather than renting a J**p. Sounds like you have a bit more work than I could help you with during my short stay, but if you need help with the tune-up, I would be happy to lend you a hand, so you won't get stranded trying to get it onto the mainland. P.M. me if you would like the help.
                        Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

Working...