PDA

View Full Version : Soft top or hard top...that is the question

thixon
09-08-2010, 08:56 AM
My original plan was to go with a canvas top. Now I'm floundering. It will be much easier to transport crap with a roof rack up top.

Proponents for both sides please weigh in. Bring up anything you can think of no matter how trivial.

Thanks,

KevinNY
09-08-2010, 09:15 AM
First of all you live down south, 1 big vote for canvas. It's much cooler and quieter. Second, how much crap do you really need to carry up top?

thixon
09-08-2010, 09:38 AM
First of all you live down south, 1 big vote for canvas. It's much cooler and quieter. Second, how much crap do you really need to carry up top?

Not too much crap, but I do have kayaks. I have toyed with the idea of building a rack similar to what you see on soft top wranglers, but stength would be an issue.

My hardtop has sliding windows, so at least I could open those!

Wander
09-08-2010, 09:43 AM
BOTH!

What kind of seatbelt set up do you have? If you have three point belt you will have to relocate the anchor to the middle bulkhead or install a roll bar-ish anchor support like they have in the lightweight's.

Andrew IIA
09-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Second, how much crap do you really need to carry up top?
Oh Kev, don't get me started on how much crap I put on the roof :p (the dogs take up all the room in the back :thumb-up:)

I'm a hard-top guy all the way. The roof rack is so useful:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3616/3576144910_cfd6bd4398.jpg (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=)">
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunkalley/3576144910/in/set-72157610584998247/)

Jim-ME
09-08-2010, 10:40 AM
I am happy with my soft top and one of Ike's receiver hitches. A trailer is also very useful item.
Jim

NickDawson
09-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Travis - I share your conflict!
I love the look of the hard tops more than anything - to me, that is just quintessential.

Right now I'm running a soft top for two reasons:
1) comfort - in the summer here in Virginia, it would be 100f+ easily with a hard top and
2) condition - I have a brand new soft top and a well used hard top. It is bare metal, loud and dirty.

My goal is to fix up my hard top, add a head liner, etc ... get a nice roof rack...
but that still doesnt solve the comfort issue. Looking forward to hearing from others on this - surely one of the biggest dilemmas in rover ownership :D

yorker
09-08-2010, 10:48 AM
If I were where you are I'd opt for a soft top and a trailer for the larger loads. I'm just not a fan of roof racks.

LR Max
09-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Hard top is more practical for multipurpose role. Also a lot less leaky than the soft top I had before. The roof is actually pretty stout, I've gotten it against trees and it just left a scrape rather than tearing canvas. That is nice. I can actually see out of the back and accessing the rear cargo area is just a single lever...rather than undoing 8,000 feet of rope and 500 buckles and crap.

It is louder...stock. But if memory serves me correctly, you can install a headliner and it'll help.

I went from a leaky canvas top to a hard top and unless the rover became a true garage/trailer queen, I'd never swap back.

slorocco
09-08-2010, 10:59 AM
BOTH! Hard top with rack for the winter, Soft top for the summer. I love the open feel of a rolled up soft top in the summer, and it really is quieter without that hard top on.

crankin
09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
My original plan was to go with a canvas top. Now I'm floundering. It will be much easier to transport crap with a roof rack up top.

Proponents for both sides please weigh in. Bring up anything you can think of no matter how trivial.

Thanks,

I'll take the rack off your hands if you go the soft top route. :thumb-up:

SeriesShorty
09-08-2010, 02:12 PM
I like my soft top and it doesn't leak...much. I love rolling up the rear and the sides and leave it that way for most of the year. I've considered going to a hard top just for ease of adding seat belts, but that's about the only reason. I'm happy with the soft top.

I had a half rack on my Disco that I am considering adapting to fit over the soft top for times when I do need to haul crap around that won't fit in the tub. I need to start sweet talking FWW (Friends With Welder) to prepare for this project. ;)

I also have a pick up top at my brothers house in TN that I hope to be able to take home with me next time I visit him. :cool:

rwollschlager
09-08-2010, 03:12 PM
I like the soft top on my sIII 88 because its easy to go from having a top, to no top at all in a matter of minutes. You can remove a hard top but it takes longer and its usually a two person job.

-Rob

ducttape
09-08-2010, 03:16 PM
My 109 had a soft top, the new 88 (which I am getting this weekend) hard top. I would very much like to do the soft top again. Carrying is/could be an issue, but there is nothing like riding with the flaps up (12 months out of the year)

Has anyone come up with a good rack system for soft top so canoe etc can be stuck up there while still preserving the soft top idea?

TedW
09-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter, quieter all year round.

And I imagine that someone on this forum has solved the rack issue.

siii8873
09-08-2010, 03:52 PM
I came up with a solution 2 rovers one with hard top one with soft top.
Only one is on the road and having both options I have the hard top on. I also have canoes to carry and the hard top with a rack does that great. I have been trying to come up with a rack system for the soft top that does not look like a sore %ss, havn't yet. I have had as many as 3 canoes on top even considered double decking 4 one time.

greenmeanie
09-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Travis,
If your planing to carry the kids the hardtop is a lot more robust in a roll over and has better options for belts. Its not up to modern standards of course but there are plenty of posts showing them standing up satisfactorily to roll overs. Unless you want to fit a roll hoop which swallows your load space somewhat but does provide a useful rack mount you'll find there is next to no strength in the standard hoop set.

Then again th ere is the canvas cool factor.. didn't your mate have a 101 for sale?

IslandRover
09-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi. I 'm a new '73 III swb owner and have a hard top but am contemplating making the switch to a soft / canvas top and selling my hardtop. I've been hesitant because this is an all season LR for me and I'm not sure how it will withstand the elements in the winter up here (in MA) and keep us warm.
Couple of questions:
- What brand of soft tops do you all recommend?
- Is it possible to get a great installation / seal so it is usable in the winter thus making it great for year round?
- What other components would I need to buy considering I have full doors.
- Windows v/s non-window soft tops - is one easier to maintain?
Thanks for any insight you can offer!
Kevin

ducttape
09-08-2010, 05:42 PM
- Windows v/s non-window soft tops - is one easier to maintain?

Kevin

Havig run the 109 with soft top I had the flaps rolled up most of the year. In fact, pretty much all the year, except when it was in storage outside and we expected snow.

The windows helped a lot if the flaps were down though. It is a cave in there, with no light. The windows aren't even that big, but better than nothing.

I also have a cab only soft top with a window on top that is fantastic. Like driving with a soft top sun roof.

The 109 top has pretty cruddy windows. 30 years of folks smoking I guess. I never tried to clean them but if you do let them get this dirty I think you'd regret it. There must be a product for cleaning that if used regularly would prevent decades of grime build up.

In short, go with the windows.

stomper
09-08-2010, 08:26 PM
To clean your windows, buy a product from Miguires called plastx. You can get it at target, etc. Rub it on with a foam applicator, just like wax. It will take some elbow grease, and maybe a few applications, but they will come out almost crystal clear. Deep scratches are the only thing it won't remove.

scott
09-08-2010, 08:57 PM
My 109 had a soft top, the new 88 (which I am getting this weekend) hard top. I would very much like to do the soft top again. Carrying is/could be an issue, but there is nothing like riding with the flaps up (12 months out of the year)

Has anyone come up with a good rack system for soft top so canoe etc can be stuck up there while still preserving the soft top idea?

i've a soft top, hope to build a rack that is supported by risers attached to brackets that clamp on to the tub rail and dip down and out from under the soft top sides when they're rolled down. the front risers will bolt to the wind screen hinge bolts

luckyjoe
09-08-2010, 09:29 PM
I've had a soft top on my 109 and loved it. It's been great in the winter and great in the rain. On a 2-door 109 it's a great airy feeling when rolled-up, while still keeping the sun off you. Surprisingly, my only soft top complaint is ventilation when the weather prevents rolling the sides up. I'm now switching to hardtop. I'm doing a full, insulated headliner, including the roof sides, adding alpine glass and two defender sliding windows per side. I'm hoping this will be my year-round favorite.

Regards,

ShootingCar
09-10-2010, 05:14 AM
On my 88, I have both a hard top with rear door, alpine windows and sliding side windows for fall to spring and a new tan and an old green soft top for summer. I have a full four post 2" sch 40 welded pipe roll bar with braces to the frame and a forward facing rear seat with three point inertia seat belts mounted to it for all four passengers. So either top fits over it and the seat belts don't change. I am an engineer so I get into the details on these things. I have had in mind to mount two pipe hanger clamps to the each of the two top horiz. roll bar pipes each with a 3/8 or 1/2 in all thread post running vertical up thru holes in the old soft top. These would become four posts for a rack that would cover the top of the soft top for canoes etc. in the summer.
However, I don't have boats or stuff to put up there so its not a priority. Also as I am short and I have had bike racks on the roof of my minivan before, I find it a pain to get stuff up on the roof. If I were doing much canoeing etc I would probably just use my trailer and carry the on it where they are at my height.
Other things though are if you need to lock stuff up in your truck. With the soft top you are much more open. I spent a lot to get my hard top and rear door to do this but haven't ever gotten the door locks installed yet. So I am still not secure with it for carrying valuables like dog, fly rods and shotguns in it for the field etc. I love driving it with the tan soft top rolled up on the sides and leave it like that most of the summer. I have found that its a pain to switch tops especially with fitting the weather stripping in for the hardtop. I do plan to make a rear removable aluminum checkered deck plate that will span across the rear wheel wells with locking drawer that can replace the rear seat and provide a deck for my dog cages and locking storage compartment underneath. I may also slide the highlift jack and shovel under there. If I were in GA I would just go with a soft top and pull a trailer for the boats. A rover trailer would be cool.
Jeff

Wander
09-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Could you post some pictures of that set up? Sounds pretty nice.

thixon
09-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Could you post some pictures of that set up? Sounds pretty nice.

X2, I'd like to see the bar. If I go with the softtop, I'm gonna have to weld up a bar for the rear since I plan to do the sale seating arrangement you've done. How did you mount it?

ducttape
09-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Here's a stupid question for ya :D Could you post some preproduction drawings (just trying to sound intelligent) for the concept?

Are you saying something like the shape of the el-cheapo coffee cup holders? Fits in the hole that the soft top frame uses but the juts outwards for the uprights for the racking to fit into? Interesting idea. Sort of a cage over the soft top cage. I like it.

i've a soft top, hope to build a rack that is supported by risers attached to brackets that clamp on to the tub rail and dip down and out from under the soft top sides when they're rolled down. the front risers will bolt to the wind screen hinge bolts