PDA

View Full Version : And The Project Begins...

artpeck
09-08-2010, 11:10 AM
'73 series 88 is now in the driveway. Has been stored since 1995. 31,000 miles. My intent is to restore to new condition with a few changes including rust protecting the frame but basically to stock new. And to use the truck not make it a trailer queen.
Many of you helped already with tips on recovery and much appreciated.

I am posting again to see if anyone has advice, tips or comments from the peanut gallery on what I am facing and where to start.

At the moment I am simply going over the truck and figuring out what is working, fixable or needs replacement to get it running. Already on top of new wheel cylinders and a master for the clutch simply to assure myself that basic safety is met. Fluids are being replaced as well.

After doing the basic and hopefully getting it running I was planning to disassemble the body and have the painting etc done while then going over the frame and running gear for both repair and cosmetics. I and my trusty ball peen hammer have confirmed that the frame has zero structural rust and almost no surface rust.

I do realize that best intentions are always subject to revealed issues but that is the plan so far.

I also get that experience is key hence my posting here for any advice you care to offer a well intended newbie.

Thanks in advance.

Art

crankin
09-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Art,
Drive it! Fill up and top off all the fluids and run two or three tanks through it.
If you don't drive it a few hundred miles you'll never know how fun it was and a year or two later when its strung out all of the garage you'll forget why you are doing all this mess.

Also, there are those that say a land rover should be free to crawl and rove where it wants. Some say that owning a land rover and making it a trailer queen is like buying the best hunting dog in the world at turning him into a lap dog.

stomper
09-08-2010, 11:28 AM
My recommendation is to get the old girl running first. Don't put too much effort into the clutch, brakes etc, until the engine fires. So first up is to drop the fuel tank, clean, new fuel lines, and associated parts.

Next is electrical, Points, condensor, coil, battery etc.

Oil and cooling assessment, and see what you have got. The clutch may need repairs earlier, if you cannot disengage it to start the engine, but you will find that you are going to need to disassemble a lot of stuff to rebuild the clutch, and the brakes will go easier if the vehicle is partly disassembled. You can paint the wings and the tub while you are doing these projects if you like.

If you are looking at an engine rebuild, or a swap, you may be happier knowing that first, rather than sinking money into other stuff.

artpeck
09-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks. Intent is to get her running asap. Waiting on a few parts to reinstall the fuel tank which the previous owner had pulled, boiled, sealed and repainted. Started on the brakes as there weren't any and I figured shortly after she was running brakes would come in handy.

Provenance of the truck is: one owner since new. Now in his mid 80s. My sister in law's uncle. So kind of stayed in the family. Stored outside but covered.

I have checked the spark and compression which are both strong.

I also have an AA NAS d-90 so am already a covert to the rover experience. I have spent a lot of time in west and southern Africa where my first exposure to landies was in the early 80's.

Appreciate all the tips and ideas.

jac04
09-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Take lots of pictures! Everyone likes to see a good project.

Wander
09-08-2010, 12:38 PM
My first thought was seals, they usually dry rot when stored. Sounds like a real find!