PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Billy5
09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
After being throughly disgusted with the Landcruiser Mkt, as I am more familiar with them, I have decided to seriously look at the LR. I have a friend who has had a few and swears by them. So, my question would be as a daily driver which is the way to go? I like the 110 but everyone i have seen is around 20g. But the IIA seems just right. I do paint work for a living etc..and fairly mechanical. I have a volvo v50 and it just doesnt cut it. Miss my rigs. Any help and honest advice gladly taken.

RoverForm
09-08-2010, 05:53 PM
billy,

i also drive a v50. great for the touring and loading and what-not, but the series is def where you want to be. especially if it's your first. my first was a
'79 SIII 109 wagon, that i eventually shipped off to Africa for some relief work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cience/sets/72157600000403815/

now i'm rolling in a '66 SIIa 88. excellent little beast. the 110 may be a risky investment as a first LR. get into a series and roll it around for a while, see how you like it, then graduate to a 110 later on if it's in the budget.

czenkov
09-08-2010, 06:29 PM
There are many similar threads here - I would run a search and see what you find if you want answers fast. I do have a few questions for you:
1) How many miles driving a day?
2) How tall are you? I have heard taller than 6' and they get real uncomfortable.
3) Do you like to be super warm in the winter? Kodiak heater.
4) Do you like to drive fast? Get a Ferrari.

I love my Series. I don't think you can go wrong as long as you do your due diligence and find one in good shape.

NickDawson
09-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Do a search for my old threads on shopping for my first rover... read the advice carefully and then do exactly the opposite of what I did :D (IE follow the advice)

Joking aside, me and my rover are in a happy place at the moment.

Some of the things I looked for:
Galvy frame - I'd never changed oil before, I wasn't about to get into a frame restoration

Overdrive - seemed valuable for above 45mph, has since failed and not sure it is worth $1,200 to replace, but a nice option if it comes with it

Clutch, transmission and brakes in good shape - so far I've been two for three :D

As many will tell you, it probably boils down to two things:
1) no rust - particularly on the frame and bulkhead. Learn to poke around critically and/or find someone to help you investigate potential sales
2) you, in particular, can fix body, paint, cosmetics, etc. Ignore the appearance and focus on mechanical & drivetrain

And find a few to drive a lot. Jeff Aaronson always talks about 'renting" a friend's rover for a day and doing 12 hours of driving in it. That's a great way to determine how you really feel about a car with no power steering, few creature comforts, and little in terms of safety... and a LOT in terms of fun!

good luck and keep us posted

SalemRover
09-09-2010, 11:22 AM
What about the land cruiser market is revolting? Just curious what drove you from there.
Some advice that may not have been said yet. There is no such thing as a maintenance free 40 year old vehicle. Prepare to do maintenance from the get go. If your friend has had one for years I would bribe him to come along and look at the candidates. Do not give in to buying a cheap series from overseas they rarely work out to your advantage. The more money spent up front on purchase outweighs what you think it might cost (both time and money) to restore a cheaper vehicle for less (imho). Finally the land rover motto "Water in and oil out is what my rover is all about".

-Jason

Billy5
09-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Hey guys, thank you for the replies. Jason, I am discourged because every one i find, meaning fj40, is like 24 gold price wise. Meaning runs good, well maintained, but the tub is basically shot..asking 8 grand..Or they have been mucked with..v8s etc..then im looking at 15g. Parts..same thing. I had an fj 40 and fj 62. When I sold them, I choked. But theres something about the rovers that just appeal to me.
I live on Long Island New York, way out east. So of course rust is ever an issue. But I repair and paint boats, so I am always using epoxy paints, which is what I would paint with. The marine urethanes are incredible.
I have no interest in going fast. I used piss everybody off in the fj40, i could only do 50 tops. I just dont know anything about the engines..wiring etc..of course i hear all this stuff about british wiring, but I dont beleive it. I am really looking for a tough funky cool truck, that will be my everyday vehicle. You know doesnt everyone watch safaris on tv, and say man, thats a cool rig right there. I do agree with paying more for less work later. Which is why I am looking for relative simplicity. Meaning i want to be able to open the hood, and see the engine, without removing eight miles of plastic.

stomper
09-09-2010, 06:19 PM
After reading your last post Billy, it sounds like a rover is the right rig for you. The only thing I would make sure of, is if you can fit into it comfortably. If you are very tall, or very stout, some note difficulties, but you should be the judge of that. The other thing to think about is perhaps you would like a right hand drive rig. Very unique here in the USA, if that is what you are after.

I'm no electrical whiz, but I have read of many people with minimal knowledge performing a complete loom replacement. These vehicles are really gigantic errector sets. I know that seems a bit simplistic, but they really are! especially the series IIA or earlier models.

The joy for me is the regular tinkering and maintenance on my 1966 IIa. I am not a mechanic, or an engineer by trade, in fact, I am a medical professional, and a business owner. My father was an Industrial Arts teacher in a high school, and he taught me basic automotives during my teens and early twenties, before he passed away. If I get in over my head, and it hasn't happened yet, but I'm sure it will someday, I have the names of some great mechanics who only work on series land rovers in the area.

I don't think you could get any simpler than a series Land Rover

Billy5
09-09-2010, 09:15 PM
I really appreciate all the feedback! I am 5 10, about 170lbs. Thin, which is why I always get asked to go into the depths of a boat..That said, my gut tells me if these go across the tundra, then must be good for my use. That and the pictures from the get togethers I see, looks like a great time. I really like the fact that very few, if any, that I have seen, haven't been toyed with. No small block chevys, etc..save for the roof racks and such, but of course I would install them if not already. My main concerns were really based on fear of the unknown. Dependable, parts etc..but I am getting quite comfortable that I will be part of the crowd soon. Again much thanks!

gudjeon
09-09-2010, 09:48 PM
I can phone or internet order parts and they are in my hands much more inexpensively and faster than most new domestic and Asian import parts. A Landrover will be reliable once you have gone through it and are confident with your abilities. Once you are at this stage, it won't let you down. It is the type of vehicle that will always run but, to run at its best you always have to keep tweaking and tinkering with it. For myself, this is the part I like. I am 6'1" and I have owned a series 2 and currently a ser1. I daily drive then and I do the same now. It will always get there but it won't be pretty or fast. My current rig has been getting there for 53 years now. I treat mine kindly, but put it through the paces. With rough treatment, any rig will have something bust whether its 40 years old or 40 hours old.

In short, a series rig for a daily driver is ideally DIY.:thumb-up:

yorker
09-10-2010, 08:05 AM
I don't think you'd be happy with a IIa after having been used to a FJ40 and FJ60.

The seating is inferior in a LR and takes a lot of getting used to(you might be small enough not to notice though), power isn't great, and the axles aren't anything great either. Remember Land Rover made a business out of building trucks out of car parts... LR's often look good but remember the frams are box section and rot from the inside out- the bodies are aluminum and might look great yet the frame can be shot bulkhead on its last legs etc. IMHO a good FJ40 or FJ60 makes a more practical daily driver in today's world. A IIa is much more like daily driving a Ford 8n than a modern car...

Over the past few months I have seen some good deals on FJ40's upstate here- abandoned projects etc.
http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/1877464744.html

If you are really interested in Land Rovers try one out for an extensive test drive first.

roverjohn
09-10-2010, 09:24 AM
I don't think you'd be happy with a IIa after having been used to a FJ40 and FJ60.

The seating is inferior in a LR and takes a lot of getting used to(you might be small enough not to notice though), power isn't great, and the axles aren't anything great either. Remember Land Rover made a business out of building trucks out of car parts... LR's often look good but remember the frams are box section and rot from the inside out- the bodies are aluminum and might look great yet the frame can be shot bulkhead on its last legs etc. IMHO a good FJ40 or FJ60 makes a more practical daily driver in today's world. A IIa is much more like daily driving a Ford 8n than a modern car...

Over the past few months I have seen some good deals on FJ40's upstate here- abandoned projects etc.
http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/1877464744.html

If you are really interested in Land Rovers try one out for an extensive test drive first.

That is a really good deal on that 40!!! 2 years ago, that truck would have sold for close to $20K

I am with Yorker: You might be better off in a Cruiser. I have had quite a few of both Rovers and Cruisers and imho, the Cruiser is a better product. Rovers and Cruisers both have their pros and cons, but in reality, the Cruiser is stronger and probably a more practical daily driver. I might be a little biased since I work in the Cruiser industry but I still love Rovers and just recently became a Rover owner again.

I think if you look around more for a Cruiser, you will find some really good deals. I would not suggest limiting your search to your area. You might want to look more in the South West where rust is not so bad. You can find a later 40 for around $6K that is in pretty good shape. 60's are even cheaper. Shipping is not that expensive and it will cost you around $1K +/-

If you do decide a Rover might be for you....good on ya and welcome! However, as others have said, drive one first. And not just around the block. Drive it a good distance and go from there.

Hope that helps.

Wander
09-10-2010, 09:31 AM
In looking for a series truck I think you should try to find a 109. The added cargo room will be helpful since you use this for work and the longer wheel base offers a (slightly) better ride. The 109's can be found in 3 and 5 door trim. As for not having V8's-don't rule that out. One of the best series 109's I know of has a V8 from the Range Rover under the bonnet.

You should also be willing to travel to find right rig. The odds of finding one with less rust are much better in the southwest and west coast. If you find one near one with a galv frame and solid mechanics it isn't going to be cheap. The search is a fun part of the process so don't try to rush it-the right truck will find you.

How far east on LI? I have a client in Stony Brook that I see 1-2x per year and I usually head over to a little pizza place in River Head.

Billy5
09-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I live in Greenport. Thats about half hour from Riverhead. I am grateful, for all the honest replies. Its always tough when you are on the fence. But you guys know alot more than I do. That does seem like a good deal on a diesel. My first one came from Arizona. Aluminum/steel combo, never is a good thing. Turns into a battery disimilar metals..unless you isolate the two. What ever i end up with, is replacing my Volvo, and will be kept. I never should of sold, but you live and learn. I will keep poking around. Thanks guys!

leafsprung
09-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Ive had 6 cruisers. Fj40x2,Fj55,Fj45,FJ60x2. I like the rovers better. Parts are easier. You can actually get a parts catalog for one. While rust is an issue its limited to certain places in the car. A cruiser can rust anywhere from the roof to the frame. The tapered cab drives me crazy my knee is always in the window winder on the 40 models. The tops WEIGH a ton making them top heavy and difficult to remove. The transfer cases are junk in the 40 series. Parts interchangeability is much greater with the series rover. Resale value is not nearly as good as the rover. I have a soft spot for the cruiser and appreciate the general build quality. I'll take a series rover any day though.

I Leak Oil
09-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Go find a series truck to drive. Most of your questions will be answered one way or another. Parts are available and you'll be getting an old vehicle that will require some work now and then.
It's really more of are you a good fit for a series truck than is a series truck a good fit for you. They aren't for everyone.

Jim-ME
09-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Well said Jason.
Jim

yorker
09-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Aluminum/steel combo, never is a good thing. Turns into a battery disimilar metals..unless you isolate the two.

Well you'll get used to that with a LR, particularly on LI.

As a rule LR people are different too, not a big deal really. I mean it isn't like you have to deal with the wierdos, but it seems like there is more than our share out there in the LR community. I don't know how to describe it but IMHO the LR community is way different than the TLC or Willys Flat Fender, or Mil. Veh. community.

thixon
09-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Yorker,

The weirdest bunch I've ever encountered as a whole as the full size jeep pack. I've never had a more frustrating experience selling a truck in my life. To them, nothing is work more than 2500 bucks.

Billy5
09-10-2010, 07:29 PM
well that sounds like a guy with experience! Rust rust and more rust. As for weirdos, hey i work in a boatyard, that should sum it up ( as I laugh ). I am not looking to rock crawl, or go shooting off giant hills. But the trails look fun as anything. As far as pricing goes, my opinion is you never will get back what you put in. That goes for boats as well. What would be a good deal for both parties for a good foundation? Meaning clean frame, no rust. I am not looking for show room. Just a clean, straight, mechanically sound truck. I am not afraid of maintenence. Parts I can see so far are much more reasonable. For example a new frame i saw is around 2g. Its four or better for an fj. So i have started my hunt. I am getting alot from this forum. Everyone has been so helpful. I hope to return the favor.

artpeck
09-10-2010, 07:54 PM
One more thing to add that may or may not matter.

I first became acquainted with land rovers in the early 80s doing a stint in southern Africa. When you have been around them where they are consistently used under very marginal conditions you understand both the merit of their engineering, quirks and all, and the soul and heritage behind the marque. With so many cars and trucks today being souless bland blobs with model names generated by an ad agency there is something at a minimum endearing about the history and heritage. Might not matter to some but suspect it does to many.

And in agreeing to keep one running you are in a small way preserving some history that would otherwise be lost.

My four kids (24-17) all of whom drive modern cars as their daily drivers find my defender way cool and the new series addition even cooler. There is information in that data.

My two cents.

stonefox
09-10-2010, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=artpeck;58312]

And in agreeing to keep one running you are in a small way preserving some history that would otherwise be lost.

QUOTE]
Art ,you banged it right there.
I feel like I'm the "Keeper" for the next generation of over obssesive, fanatical, landrover junky. I hope they treat it the same way when I'm gone and they become the next "Keeper".

Billy5
09-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Thats a very good way of putting it. Keeping tradition going. I must say, as i look, theres not a lot for sale. Which says something to the series. That ones that have them, dont part with them. Which in a way is comforting. As of now, I am liking the 109s, for the size. But as I filter through, read and research, that may change. My only downfall is as much as i would like to, I cannot drive one as no one has one, anywhere near me. My friend sold his, and is restoring his new one. In the end whats the worst thing that could happen?