PDA

View Full Version : Rad panel and soft top frame

albersj51
09-08-2010, 06:21 PM
My 67 has the lights in the wing, not the breakfast. I'd like to bring her back to her original look (plus I love the lights inside look). My buddy works on airplanes and can have someone make a blanking plate for the wings when I move the lights to the grill. Question is, where can I find a used rad panel with headlight buckets in decent shape? Also, how much will it likely cost?

Lastly, anyone know where I can find a used soft top frame (88")? I know, it's like finding the Holy Grail, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks,

J

albersj51
09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
No ideas?

thixon
09-09-2010, 08:22 PM
The rad panel can be had from any number of places, our hosts being one. Ike at Pangolin 4x4 has some advertised on his site. Rovers down south might be a good place to try, and TLR used to have a bunch of used parts (he recently had a bring a trailer sale so that might have changed).

As for the hoop set, well, you're probably screwed. They pop up on ebay every once in a great while, but bidding generally goes wild. Honestly, your probably better saving your coins till you can just buy a new hoop set. Same goes for the canvas top.

Hope this helps.

albersj51
09-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks, Travis

disco2hse
09-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Lastly, anyone know where I can find a used soft top frame (88")? I know, it's like finding the Holy Grail, but figured I'd ask.

Make them. They're just bent and flattened pipe. Get the measurements from another one. The hold down clips at the front and rear quarters are easily obtainable and cheap.

Whole lot cheaper than trying to buy second hand or new.

lrdukdog
09-10-2010, 07:45 AM
I have seem them made from electrical conduit pipe.
Jim Wolf

thixon
09-10-2010, 08:12 AM
The last two posters make good points. It would be very easy to make the hoop part of a hoop set. You could do it with a cheap pipe bender from harbor freight. It just depends on what you want.

SalemRover
09-10-2010, 08:48 AM
What you want to find are the windshield piece, and the top and side of the door. From there everything else is basically bent conduit with welded tabs and washers. I just ordered a new soft top and hoopset for my 5 door and am rather giddy about it showing up. The angst is killing me, at least until I fit the soft top and then it will be the smoke from the tailpipe. Best of luck with it.

-Jason

albersj51
09-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Great point guys! Got a buddy that has a welder and can fab. Problem is being in the "dirty south" we're not blessed with the abundance of Series owners like New England, so I can't see one, get the specs, etc.

thixon
09-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Great point guys! Got a buddy that has a welder and can fab. Problem is being in the "dirty south" we're not blessed with the abundance of Series owners like New England, so I can't see one, get the specs, etc.

I did'nt realize you were in SC till you mentioned the south. TLR is close to you, and he had a hoop or two last time I checked. Beyond that surely someone here would measure theirs and post up the specs.

albersj51
09-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Travis,

I'm in Greenville, not too far from Augusta.

If anyone has The time and inclination to send me some measurements and even pics, especially of tabs and mounting points, I would be eternally grateful! If I can build one I can have RN send me the windscreen, door seals and top and be rolling!

Thanks everyone!

J

lrdukdog
09-10-2010, 03:27 PM
I may have one in my mouse infested shed. email me at elvenwoodkennel@cox.net It maybe a couple of days before I can check, back problems again on the left side now.
Jim Wolf

albersj51
09-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi Jim,

Just sent you an email. Thanks!

Jason

albersj51
09-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Leafsprung,

tried to PM you back, but your inbox is full

RoverForm
09-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Travis,

I'm in Greenville, not too far from Augusta.

If anyone has The time and inclination to send me some measurements and even pics, especially of tabs and mounting points,
J

Don't have the measurements J. Here are some pics of what I do have. Maybe you can get the specs elsewhere? Hope these help.

Trying to upload more...

RoverForm
09-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Some more...

albersj51
09-10-2010, 10:15 PM
RoverForm,
thank you for posting the pics! I really appreciate that! I'm starting to get an idea of how it's structured and designed, and you all are right, shouldn't be too hard to fab one up

RoverForm
09-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Prob not too hard to set-up the posts/poles. but the fastening hardware/welds may take some planning.