PDA

View Full Version : What's next?

kwd509
09-11-2010, 11:11 PM
2a collected from tennessee, it looks quite old with moderate body work needed. I took it to a rover restorer simply to gain an assessment while it was on the trailer, and to try to gain insight into the status of the engine. Happily, the frame is deemed solid. Bulkhead and footwell needs are seen as quite modest. Rebuilding it seen as relatively straightforward(notwithstanding financial constrains). Plan involves limited work on engine by mechanic to determine what it will take to address engine status and needs. My son and I would then take over.

Mechanic projects engine will run but may require a rebuild. His first question was whether I was wedded to having a diesel rover. I answered yes. what are peoples experience with moter changes? I appreciate you help and perspective.

Pros and cons of a diesel?

albersj51
09-11-2010, 11:21 PM
I cant give you much on this, except I am jealous of your diesel!

TriedStone
09-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Given the history behind your truck, the fact that your father bought it new and now his son and grandson are bringing it back to life I think it would make more sense to keep it all original. I think it also makes for a great story. I believe the truck would be worth more if it were kept original as well. I would be very careful as to whom you are having work on the truck. If this "rover restorer" is already suggesting a transplant I question his knowledge and appreciation for what you have.

gambrinus
09-12-2010, 11:53 AM
If you can read ( ie read the Green Bible ) and you know which end of a screwdriver to hold, you can do 99% of what is needed on this truck yourself.

RW

Nium
09-12-2010, 12:09 PM
You can burn FREE used vegetable oil in a diesel. :thumb-up:

Seems like everyone on the other side of the pond is using diesel, 'cause petrol's so expensive over there, so I'd guess they must be reliable.

yorker
09-13-2010, 01:40 PM
You can burn FREE used vegetable oil in a diesel. :thumb-up:

FWIW The Lucas CAV pump isn't very tolerant of SVO so you can't really do that.

You will want to look into the newer style glowplugs. The conversions are usually available on Ebay.co.uk for $40 or so. The Rover 2,25 diesel is slow, noisy and not so long ago people couldn't wait to toss them for a 2.25 petrol. (At least here in the US)

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.Diesel.html some more info there.

superstator
09-13-2010, 02:43 PM
++ on the glowplugs. The 2.25d is indeed slow, and smoky, and you'll never sneak up on anybody with it. But it has its charms, and if it's original I'd have a hard time ditching it. If you hate it, you could go to the the 2.5NA without drastically changing the character of the truck, but have a little more oomph for the hills & highways.

kwd509
09-13-2010, 03:12 PM
I agree it has a certain charm, though as I recall that came with considerable smoke.......one genuine reservation.

The diesel also will not be much of a winter vehicle, which would limit its exposure to road salt....... something it has never seen and which I'm told will inevitably take a toll on the car.

As I don;t have the funds or inclination to make it pristine, I hope it will be a vehicle in the woodlot (though not to be banged around) and an occasional trip to town. Does that make sense for the diesel?

superstator
09-13-2010, 03:25 PM
The smoke can be reduced, usually. I find mine smokes a lot less if it's a on a high mix of biodiesel, but mostly it's just getting the timing dialed in. It's a great engine offroad - and around town it's fine. As long as you don't regularly need to go faster than 45-50mph...

Jim-ME
09-14-2010, 05:00 AM
I use Optilube XPD at the rate of 1/2 oz per gallon. Mine smokes a little at start up but clears very quickly. I buy it by the gallon and carry a small bottle that is graduated much like a Stabil bottle is with me all the time.
Jim