PDA

View Full Version : Air filter advice/opinions

SeriesShorty
09-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I've removed my oil bath filter to make room for moving the battery up front. So now I am deciding how to get some air.

I know some folks have adapted a cone K&N on the end of their original intake pipe so that is one option.

The other option is to use a pancake filter assembly (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrome-Air-Filter-Pancake2-Rochester-Style-2-5-16-Chevy-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f4bb44e7QQitemZ30045 8656999QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries) to fit directly on top of my Rochester. The height of filter appears to be slightly less than the height of the old intake pipe so it should fit just fine under the hood.

What ya think???? Any experience with the pancake type?

NickDawson
09-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Curious about this one myself - in fact I was about to start a thread (and still may as my carb and engine are slightly different)...so curious to hear what other's say.

On my 2.5L with the weber 32 34 dmtl the previous owner put on a pancake filter. It takes a round Fram that is apparently only sold in Europe.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/4983914520_8de17ce97b_z.jpg

The space savings is nice, and it seems to work well. Its a bit tricky to get to the carb at times though.

greenmeanie
09-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Do your google search on K&N and make your decision on that path from what you learn there. I ran one for years on top of a Rochester for thundering up and down the I10 but probably wouldn't bother spending the money again. It didn't kill the engine with dirt ingestion but didn't do anything for performance either.

A pan filter will work fine. Find a donor vehicle with a pancake that fits the envelope under the bonnet and then go to the parts shop and look up its filter and check the CFM rating. IIRC its 165 cfm for a Rochester but check that as I am a few beers in tonight.

There are those who believe that you need nothing short of a full cyclonic pre filter/cannister system etc off a piece of construction equipment but in reality, unless you live in a dust bowl, the pancake will do fine if you service it accordingly.

LR Max
09-13-2010, 09:42 AM
I have a K&N that I bought through one of the rover sites, it isn't big enough. On the highway, I actually notice the engine being starved for air.

So I'd say just make sure you get a big enough filter. They work well and its nice to be able to clean it easily after a run in the dust.