PDA

View Full Version : High Oil pressure

Burlsube
09-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Is there any downside to high oil pressure? My rebuilt engine is averaging around 40-50 cold and 65-70 when warmed up and in 4th... Of course it could be the gauge. I'm just trying to get some thoughts.

SafeAirOne
09-15-2010, 12:19 AM
The book says the oil pressure at 2000 RPM should be 35-65psi. What is your oil pressure at 2000 RPM?

Rineheitzgabot
09-15-2010, 06:35 AM
I would think that there is nothing wrong with your oil pressure being a little high. Oil pressure is a good thing, and more of it, better.

I would be inclined to think the guage is off. Odds are, all of the factors relating to oil pressure in your particular engine, are probably not much different than any other. However, this is much more possible with the guage.

As long as you aren't blowing lines off of fittings, be proud of your high oil pressure. Not to be mistaken with high blood pressure...

Of course, I am assuming that everything else is in working order, mechanically speaking.

-Gary

stomper
09-15-2010, 07:19 AM
The other thing I would add is to check the viscosity of your oil. If it is concerning you, perhaps going to a slightly lighter engine oil would drop the pressure a little.

Then again, it will leak more from every seal.

Terrys
09-15-2010, 07:31 AM
My rebuilt engine is averaging around 40-50 cold and 65-70 when warmed up and in 4th....
Have you got these numbers backwards?
If there's a blockage in the galleries, or tube to the head, the pressure will be higher. Take the rocker cover off and confirm there is plenty of oil flowing at each rocker. Was the oil pump rebuilt, and if so, was a standard relief spring used?

SafeAirOne
09-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Have you got these numbers backwards?

That's kind of what I was thinking. You're really measuring backpressure. Any restriciton, like very tight bearing clearances, will increase oil pressure while very loose, worn out bearings will decrease indicated oil pressure.

****ogy: Open the little flip cap on a bottle of Dawn dishwashing detergent and try to squeeze it out as fast as you can. Small opening=high pressure. Do the same with the whole cover unscrewed and removed. Big opening=low pressure.

Anyway, comparing cold oil pressure at idle and warm oil pressure at an unknown RPM is comparing apples to oranges and doesn't really tell you much. Check if your pressure is within the range listed in the book.

EDIT: [sigh...] That censored word is A-N-A-L-O-G-Y.

TedW
09-15-2010, 08:22 AM
My new (3K mi) engine runs at 75 psi at 45+ MPH (don't know the rpm) and 40-50psi or so at idle. That's with a Smiths mechanical gauge and 5w40 Castrol Syntec.

I don't get much, if any pressure drop when warmed up.

Your numbers when cold do seem odd...should be higher, as pointed out earlier.

LR Max
09-15-2010, 08:36 AM
What oil filter you running?

K&Ns and FRAM oil filters have a history of failing, causing blockage and thus, higher oil pressure. Seen it twice, once on a Jeep (deserved it...stupid jeeps) and once on a Lotus Europa.

Terrys
09-15-2010, 10:25 AM
What oil filter you running?

K&Ns and FRAM oil filters have a history of failing, causing blockage and thus, higher oil pressure. Seen it twice, once on a Jeep (deserved it...stupid jeeps) and once on a Lotus Europa.

Good point, never thought to ask if he was using a screw-on, or original cartridge filter. Does K&N even make a cartridge? I like CArquest screw-ons, they're made by Wix.

LR Max
09-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Good point, never thought to ask if he was using a screw-on, or original cartridge filter. Does K&N even make a cartridge? I like CArquest screw-ons, they're made by Wix.

OOOOHHHH YYYEEEAAAHHHH.

I'm stupid, he is probably running a cartridge style...not spin on :rolleyes:. Still for your other cars, NO STUPID FRAMS or K&Ns :nono:

But yeah, check the oil filter and make sure everything is happy there.

gudjeon
09-15-2010, 09:42 PM
With figures like the above and using a 5W40, I would be inclined to double check the output with a known testing gauge. Oil pressure indicators, especially mechanical ones, are not renowned for their accuracy. :thumb-up:

Burlsube
09-15-2010, 09:48 PM
I am using a cartridge style. I'll double checked the pressure and start up and it was around 60 ish. I will double check with a different gauge.

I was actually on my way to drop it off at the mechanics and I heard some knocking. Here's hoping it isnt too late. I'm hoping its just some bad gas that was sitting around for a few weeks.

TedW
09-16-2010, 08:04 AM
With figures like the above and using a 5W40, I would be inclined to double check the output with a known testing gauge. Oil pressure indicators, especially mechanical ones, are not renowned for their accuracy. :thumb-up:

I was under the impression that electric oil pressure gauges (with sender) were less accurate than mechanical ones. My engine has a spin-on filter and a new oil pump.

I'm tempted to hook up my OE electric guage and see what the readings are.