PDA

View Full Version : Leaky transfer case

Alk-3
09-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Hey everyone.. I have a leaky transfer case.. I know, these trucks are supposed to leak by design, but this leaks a bit too much.. The oil is spraying the whole passenger side under the truck and coating the brand new tire in the rear.. Not to mention that i have to refill the transfer case after every 3 hours or so of driving.. It doesn't leak (much) when it's cold and sitting in the driveway. I cannot for the life of me find the leak.. As mentioned, because it doesn't leak when it's cold, it's impossible to figure it out by looking at it.. When it's hot and leaking the whole thing seems to be covered in oil, as well as everything else.. Anyway, long story short; is there a notoriously leaky spot on these? Anyone have some ideas as to how to trouble shoot this? Im all ears..
Btw, its a '67 88

SafeAirOne
09-15-2010, 11:09 PM
The bottom cover pan is notoriously leaky--The studs and nuts like to back out and the pan is thin and doesn't hold its shape well. I think it's Rocky Mountain that sells the the thick machined aluminum replacement bottom covers that are rumored to cure this.

Of course there are several other places that the transfer case can leak as well.

My transmission is pretty prone to leakage at the selector fork seals and tends to coat everything including the transfer case with oil too.

crankin
09-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Rocky Mountian transfer cases do seem to fix the leak. But you have to make sure that the torque is tight on the bolts.

KevinNY
09-16-2010, 08:27 AM
If it is spraying that bad I would suspect an output shaft seal. Is your parking brake drum dripping?

Alk-3
09-16-2010, 01:38 PM
If it is spraying that bad I would suspect an output shaft seal. Is your parking brake drum dripping?

it is, but i just figured it was dripping because its being sprayed with oil, just like everything else.. ill have to take a closer look, but it cant be just that. The spray is covering everything from the transfer case back, including the transfer case itself.

stomper
09-16-2010, 01:50 PM
perhaps you ought to pressure wash the underside clean, then drive it slowly around the block a few times to minimize the spraying. you'll probably get a better diagnostic that way.

KevinNY
09-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Could be your front output shaft seal, which would be fortunate because that is the easy one to change.

NickDawson
09-16-2010, 05:12 PM
The folks at roverdrive make a vented heavy gauge transfer case cover that is supposed to help reduce heat. I've been eyeing it for a while. Might be an interesting option if you are going to replace yours.

http://www.roverdrives.com/accessories.html

crankin
09-16-2010, 08:45 PM
The folks at roverdrive make a vented heavy gauge transfer case cover that is supposed to help reduce heat. I've been eyeing it for a while. Might be an interesting option if you are going to replace yours.

http://www.roverdrives.com/accessories.html

Those are the rocky moutain ones talked about...

Roverdrive, Rocky Mountain....one and the same
Just like wiseowl is also roverpark boys.

robert wood
09-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Rocky Mountain and Roverdrive are two separate companies Roverdrive does Roverdrives (and transfer case covers.) Rocky Mountain does parabolic springs, doortops and general spares. Different owners, separate staff, separate offices, separate telephone. Same neighborhood pub. Ray

crankin
09-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I have always thought that they are the same...
but you are right....everything is different with them. And I am guessing you are kin to Ray Wood?

I have been wrong once or twice (ask Jac...he is always quick to correct me).

Maybe my confusion is coming from Roverdrive's website: "The owners of Rocky Mountain Expedition Equipment all own Land Rovers and have enjoyed testing the ROVERDRIVE on overland expeditions in several countries."

as well as: http://www.rockymountainspares.co.uk/?page_id=41

Rocky Mountain website selling Roverdrive stuff.