PDA

View Full Version : Newbie-replacement chassis question

rickv100
09-16-2010, 08:47 AM
I am looking at a ex-MOD Series 3 109 that might need a chassis replacement in the near future and I want to gather costs ahead of time. Which is better a genuine LR chassis, Marsland, or Richards?

Thanks,

Rick

I Leak Oil
09-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Anything Galvanized....

crankin
09-16-2010, 11:25 AM
You'll be hard pressed to find an original frame in mint condition. Both Richards and Marshland are dimensionally accurate. Although, I have heard of a few people having to modify bits on there Richards chassis.

I went with a Marshland on mine and was very pleased. The only complaint is that one bracket was bent over and and an outrigger had been dented up from shipment....15-20 minutes with a hammer had it sorted out. I also had to re-tap my threads and drill some of the slag out to fit bolts through. I am sure that every chassis has its ups and downs with the zinc runs and dribbles.

galen216
09-16-2010, 12:00 PM
You'll be hard pressed to find an original frame in mint condition.

I know someone on this very site that has a NOS 109 genuine frame. But it isn't galvanized....

rwollschlager
09-16-2010, 12:09 PM
You'll be hard pressed to find an original frame in mint condition. Both Richards and Marshland are dimensionally accurate. Although, I have heard of a few people having to modify bits on there Richards chassis.

I went with a Marshland on mine and was very pleased. The only complaint is that one bracket was bent over and and an outrigger had been dented up from shipment....15-20 minutes with a hammer had it sorted out. I also had to re-tap my threads and drill some of the slag out to fit bolts through. I am sure that every chassis has its ups and downs with the zinc runs and dribbles.

I believe richard's chassis come with all of the holes re-drilled and tapped. If you get a marsland be careful not to take off too much when you drill and tap because you can take it down to bare metal that'll rust. Be sure to go over those spots with lots of cold galvanizing material and you should be good.

-Rob

jac04
09-16-2010, 12:41 PM
I suggest that you check availability of either galvanized chassis. It is my understanding that Marsland is no longer producing some of the military chassis.

rickv100
09-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Following some recommendations from the forum, I checked with PA Blanchard, they have NOS Land Rover military 109 chassis. That was the reason for my question.

Rick

rover_chump
09-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Greetings Rick,

I have a Richards Galvanized 109 Ex-Mod Chassis here in stock.
$3295 plus freight.
Unless you are able to pick it up here then you won't have freight
charges (obviously)..But, (you would have tax instead... 6%) And, I
would throw in a free steering relay.
Marsland is no longer offering the series chassis.
Peace,
Art

Leslie
09-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Marsland is no longer offering the series chassis.
Peace,
Art

What? When did that happen??

rover_chump
09-16-2010, 01:25 PM
109 Chassis NLA from Marsland as of 2009

88 Chassis from Marsland being fazed out now.

Peace,
Art

scatterling
09-16-2010, 03:43 PM
PM sent.

Leslie
02-03-2011, 02:46 PM
109 Chassis NLA from Marsland as of 2009

88 Chassis from Marsland being fazed out now.

Peace,
Art

I just rec'd the RN emailer, had a link to your Marsland page:
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-4330-chassis-series-88-galvanised.aspx

Are Marsland available for Series again?