PDA

View Full Version : Frame repairs

jpasiczn
09-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey all
As I search for my first Series truck, I am coming across a few in different conditions. I have one in particular that has "frame repairs" according to the seller.
My question is, how do frame repairs stand up to the test of time? I know a frame that has spots cut and re welded back in, obviously, will not be as strong as the original frame. But is there any reason why that should deter me from purchasing the truck?
I figure if the frame feels solid, a few repairs should not be something that keeps me away

Any thoughts?
John

leafsprung
09-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Your question has too many variables. A repaired frame might be far stronger than an original frame, it might be far weaker. It might be downright unsightly and unsafe. It depends on how bad the frame is and how well the repairs were executed. The reason it should give you pause it that typically rust is not limited to the frame; check all steel parts: firewall, toolbox, doors, fasteners, heater etc etc. If the price of the truck reflects the effort that you will have to put in to make it nice, it should not detour you. otherwise look elsewhere.

mongoswede
09-16-2010, 09:32 PM
as stated below....too hard to say without seeing the frame in person. When I look at a rover...or any vehicle with a frame where rust may be an issue here is what I do:

1. Crawl underneath and just look at as much of it as you can. Is there visible corrosion on some, most, all of the frame? Is the original paint intact and clean looking? Or are there bubbles of corrosion popping through everywhere. Do welds look solid etc etc.

2. Take a small ball peen hammer and lightly tap on the frame in as many places as you can. Listen to the sound of the hammer strike. If it resonates, rings, echos etc its a sign that things are solid. If all you hear is a dull quiet thud then its a sign that there is a lot of corrosion underneath and the metal may not have long for this world.