PDA

View Full Version : Discovery basics

Billy5
09-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Hello, new to the forums. was thinking about a series rover, but I am going to hold off. So now im looking at discoverys as way into the rover world. What advice does anyone with one, can you give? What to stay away from..milage etc..I am not a cerified mechanic, but know my way around. I have heard all these stories about the rover engines, but I think if they are so bad why do people love them? Any help gratefully accepted.

Soakers
09-18-2010, 11:12 AM
'98 or '99 Series 1 Discoveries are commonly called the most desirable.

Travel far and wide to find one that is well kept and rust-free. There are a lot of pigs out there.

Stephen99D1
09-21-2010, 09:52 AM
If you happen to search for high-mileage engine-related threads on another board, you'll see posts from many users with well over 150k miles, some over 250k (petrol, not diesel engines!) miles without major engine repairs. That may have been mentioned somewhere on here before as well. Of course, there are stories with the opposite ending, too.

The quick version - stay on top of the maintenance. A good way to look at the situation is that you are starting a relationship, not purchasing a vehicle. (Granted, it may be a relationship with RN and other vendors... ;) )

I Leak Oil
09-21-2010, 10:52 AM
94-95 are desireable because of the 3.9 and is slightly easier to work on. 99 I suppose, because it's the last model year and in theory, the bugs worked out. I had a 96 without any issues for what it's worth.

No matter what year, get one with as little rust as possible. Check the sills, the floors, the rear wheelwells and rear floor. You need to lift the carpets to really check it out. Rust gets expensive to fix, the mechanical systems are relatively easy.

Outrovn
10-19-2010, 07:17 AM
X2 plug for the 94-95, I just picked up a 95 with less frame rust than most D2's out there. You pretty much can't stop the cancer in other areas and just have to accept that it will come, you will fight it and it will eventually take your limbs. You cannot win all the battles but you can win the war on rust. :thumb-up:

SGFMORover
11-22-2010, 08:35 PM
love my 95, 190k miles.... rebuilt tranny at 150, engine still reliable doesn't use a drop of oil. though by 200k I'll have redone most of the suspension, brake system, and countless electrical issues but age and abuse are the big factors there. all in all I love her and have never regretted the purchase made 8 years ago.
HOWEVER
by this age I would specifically check the following so that you know what has/has not been maintained before you purchase.
Leaks! they tell you a lot. check for leaks in swivel balls, steering box, cooling lines, the old 3.9 engines seem to push oil out of odd places before they die (something to do with excess pressure blowing by can push oil out of weak seals, valve covers, oil cooling lines, dipstick tube you name it) pop hood and rev to 3k cold and warm to double check for noises things you'd do on any vehicle, oh make sure EVERYTHING electrical is working, one lil detail could be a sign of hours of fun to track down later.