PDA

View Full Version : Smart Question for Smart People - Welding Dash

amcordo
09-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Hi!

I removed the two dash segments from my S3 bulkhead and I'm really struggling with what to do to mount dials, etc. I guess one of the options is fix up the old dash segments and reinstall them. The lower dash has serious rust holes in it. Can metal that thin be welded? If so, can anyone suggest a cheap beginners welder of the appropriate type for me to purchase?

albersj51
09-18-2010, 08:22 PM
My old International Scout had a similar situation on the top and when we used a flux core welder (cheap beginner welder) it ended up Melting the metal on the top and not fixing it. You're probably better off cutting off to good, solid
metal and welding in new stuff from there. Just my .02.

solihull109
09-18-2010, 09:46 PM
You need to T.I.G. weld material that thin, however this is not for the beginner. It is very easy to completely destroy the project if you are not a seasoned welder.

leafsprung
09-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Cheap welders arent too good with thin materials. a new dash is probably cheaper. I have a lower one that is rust free but has some drill and radio holes . . .LHD trade me something and its yours.

printjunky
09-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Tony, not that you want to wait to see where it falls on my list of winter projects, but I'm planning on using my old super-rusty, but mostly structurally sound lower dash as a plug to make a mold to try making a fiberglass lower dash. I'll document here or somewhere similar and link here at the RN forums.

amcordo
09-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Tony, not that you want to wait to see where it falls on my list of winter projects, but I'm planning on using my old super-rusty, but mostly structurally sound lower dash as a plug to make a mold to try making a fiberglass lower dash. I'll document here or somewhere similar and link here at the RN forums.

YES YES YES! I can wait. Supposedly Lasalle has a fiberglass dashboard, but I don't know anything about it. Just emailed them yesterday and haven't gotten a response yet. http://www.lasalle-trim.co.uk/products

Terrys
09-20-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm planning on using my old super-rusty, but mostly structurally sound lower dash as a plug to make a mold to try making a fiberglass lower dash.
Very good idea. I suspect you could sell a few.

CharlesF
09-21-2010, 12:20 AM
When I weld holes and pin holes in thin sheet metal I back up the weld area with copper sheet. The copper sheet acts as a heat sink.

If the damage is severe I use Silicon Bronze rod, it melts at lower temps, similar to brazing.

The copper sheet works well with both Tig or Mig process, prefer Tig because of the exact heat control.

Hope this helps!

Charles

amcordo
09-22-2010, 07:01 AM
OK, so I got a response from Lasalle and they do make dashboards. But only for RHD rovers. Ugh. And they sent me a couple of pictures - they're really snazzy looking. So back to square one. I've been offered a lower dash piece in good condition for trade. Has anyone ever galvanized a dash before? I did all of those pieces earlier this summer and they survived just fine. Only they weren't of such thin metal, nor were did they have the angles invloved - lots of room for stress warpage.

amcordo
09-23-2010, 03:31 PM
OK, so I'm just going to clean cut the rusted areas with a grinder, attempt to galvanize it, and then when I reassemble it (if it survives the zinc bath) I'll just cheap-lazy man weld on a new, galvanized sheet over the cut out areas (and when I say "weld" I mean use solder or something). If I do it right it'll look OK, and be just as useful as new! I may end up having to cover it with the vinyl cover or a thick bed liner coat to make the new plate look less noticeable but that's acceptable. Cross your fingers for me - pray for no warping!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39748444@N03/5018713144

SafeAirOne
09-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Well that doesn't look nearly as bad as it sounded. I'd try and keep it simple, since this piece in invisible anyway (or it will be after you re-cover it), I'd either bend up a new corner and rivet it over the bad area or I'd bend up a new corner flush patch if I were being really particular.

When I got done, I'd find an appropriate adhesive (that plenum can get pretty hot with the heater on) and cover it with as thin a piece of black naugahide as I could find.

It'll look pretty original and nobody'd ever know... Why complicate things with welders, galvanizing and the like, especially when it's a flat piece with one or 2 straight-line bends?

amcordo
09-23-2010, 05:18 PM
All great advice! Thank you!

I'm still going to try and galvanize it so that I don't ever have to think about it rusting. But after that I'll give your flush rivet fix a try. Note that i will drill the rivet holes before galvanizing.

SafeAirOne
09-23-2010, 05:47 PM
In that case, why not patch it so it looks good, then have it powder coated black? You kill 2 birds with one stone that way.

thixon
09-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Tony,

either ship it down, or drive it down one weekend and I'll patch it up for you. If you come down, I'll teach you to TIG weld. You can pay me in beer.

LaneRover
09-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Tony,

either ship it down, or drive it down one weekend and I'll patch it up for you. If you come down, I'll teach you to TIG weld. You can pay me in beer.

I may take you up on that the next time I have a job in Atlanta.

LaneRover
09-24-2010, 09:02 AM
If the offer is offered up to others too!

crankin
09-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Tony,

Man, I want in on this deal too! You could hold a class and walk away with a keg!

albersj51
09-24-2010, 12:41 PM
If you're offering lessons on how to rebuild a bulkhead, im 2 hours away with all the beer you can drink! Lol!

thixon
09-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Lane and Crankin,

No problem, the more the merrier.

Albersj51, check your PM.

redmondrover
09-29-2010, 05:31 PM
This Series III for sale in Singapore has the standard Series III dash assembly except the gauge cluster is in the middle?!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-1974-Series-3-/300474235717?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item45f5a8fb45

siiirhd88
09-29-2010, 07:30 PM
They likely just moved the panel mount to the middle of the upper dash angled metal piece and then attached the panel. It certainly would allow for more airflow from the vents, and you can see from the pic that the area that would have been behind the instrument panel was cut open.

Interesting idea.... Hmmm.

Bob

amcordo
10-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Alright!

Galvanized the lower dash. Slight warping on the far-left portion that goes under the steering column. Nothing my hammer couldn't fix up.

Next need: does anyone have the plastic parts that go on either end of the upper dash panel? I can't find either of mine. One side has the levers for the heater, and the other side is blank. I need 'em. I'll trade something for them.

Firemanshort
10-12-2010, 08:51 PM
For those of us with RHD Series III trucks - I would love to see the photos that LaSalle sent you. There is no photo on thier web site.

Is it the top dash panel, the bottom dash with heater plenum or both.

Any prices?

... and I think I have the dash plastic end piece with the heater controls just taking up space on a garage shelf.

amcordo
10-13-2010, 07:08 AM
These are the photos they sent me. Their website says: £210.00. I didn't ask for a shipping quote since I'm not ordering the item.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=47365896&l=33afde4163&id=12302234

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=47365897&l=86d398652b&id=12302234

Bertha
10-14-2010, 09:52 AM
PA Blanchard still carries the lower dash NOS. In fact he has more than 30 stacked up in the back of his warehouse and they are reasonably priced for a NLA part. I just put one in a S3 I just finished restoring.

Terrys
10-14-2010, 02:54 PM
That LaSalle is hideous

amcordo
02-03-2011, 10:28 AM
I had asked this a while back and someone emailed me saying they had at least one, but since then I lost the email. I'm not ready to buy/trade.

I'm looking for the plastic end pieces for BOTH sides of the upper dash of a series III. On side has levers for the heating adjustment and the other side is just a blank. I really don't need the levers, but I'm good with getting them. Anyone have these pieces laying around as scrap?

Alaskan Rover
02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
I just wish Land Rover would have galvanized the WHOLE bulkhead in fhe first place!!! I mean they galvanized all the fittings and strips, the windshield frame, the front bumper....WHY didn't they galvanize the bulkhead and frame as well????

Perhaps they didn't think that individual rovers would still be on the road 50 years and HUNDREDS of thousands of miles later...:D

Or maybe they didn't galvanize the bulkhead and frame on purpose, noting that they wanted rover owners as REPEAT customers, and not driving the same vehicle for 25 to 40 years!! ;)

Why no galvanized frame and bulkhead in the first oplace from Rover? That's a question probably ALL Series owners ask ourselves eventually.

As for me, I'm contemplating on taking off the windshield and defroster hoses, cutting out the rotten sections on top of the firewall directly below the windshield and welding in new plates to replace the rotten metal.

My vehicle is a worker, and no 99 point Concours car, so I have no problem jury-rigging the hell out of it...just as long as I can still fold down the windshield and the outside of the firewall looks the same.

SafeAirOne
02-03-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm looking for the plastic end pieces for BOTH sides of the upper dash of a series III. Anyone have these pieces laying around as scrap?

I don't have them but you may want to specify RHD or LHD as the end pieces are handed.

SalemRover
02-03-2011, 12:00 PM
These are the photos they sent me. Their website says: £210.00. I didn't ask for a shipping quote since I'm not ordering the item.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=47365896&l=33afde4163&id=12302234

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=47365897&l=86d398652b&id=12302234

just when I thought the SIII dash couldn't possibly be uglier. No offense but that dash looks hideous.

leafsprung
02-03-2011, 01:08 PM
I think it would be better if the lasalle logo were bigger:D

Momo
02-03-2011, 11:45 PM
It would look a lot better in black and without that huge logo. I suppose you could do a pretty good job of covering it in black vinyl though...