• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amcordo
    5th Gear
    • Jun 2009

Smart Question for Smart People - Welding Dash

Hi!

I removed the two dash segments from my S3 bulkhead and I'm really struggling with what to do to mount dials, etc. I guess one of the options is fix up the old dash segments and reinstall them. The lower dash has serious rust holes in it. Can metal that thin be welded? If so, can anyone suggest a cheap beginners welder of the appropriate type for me to purchase?
  • albersj51
    5th Gear
    • May 2010

My old International Scout had a similar situation on the top and when we used a flux core welder (cheap beginner welder) it ended up Melting the metal on the top and not fixing it. You're probably better off cutting off to good, solid
    metal and welding in new stuff from there. Just my .02.

Comment

• solihull109
      1st Gear
      • May 2007

You need to T.I.G. weld material that thin, however this is not for the beginner. It is very easy to completely destroy the project if you are not a seasoned welder.
      knowledge without experience is just information.... Mark Twain

www.downeastcoachworks.com

Comment

• leafsprung
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

Cheap welders arent too good with thin materials. a new dash is probably cheaper. I have a lower one that is rust free but has some drill and radio holes . . .LHD trade me something and its yours.

Comment

• printjunky
          3rd Gear
          • Jul 2007

Tony, not that you want to wait to see where it falls on my list of winter projects, but I'm planning on using my old super-rusty, but mostly structurally sound lower dash as a plug to make a mold to try making a fiberglass lower dash. I'll document here or somewhere similar and link here at the RN forums.

Comment

• amcordo
            5th Gear
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by printjunky
            Tony, not that you want to wait to see where it falls on my list of winter projects, but I'm planning on using my old super-rusty, but mostly structurally sound lower dash as a plug to make a mold to try making a fiberglass lower dash. I'll document here or somewhere similar and link here at the RN forums.

YES YES YES! I can wait. Supposedly Lasalle has a fiberglass dashboard, but I don't know anything about it. Just emailed them yesterday and haven't gotten a response yet. http://www.lasalle-trim.co.uk/products

Comment

• Terrys
              Overdrive
              • May 2007

Originally posted by printjunky
              I'm planning on using my old super-rusty, but mostly structurally sound lower dash as a plug to make a mold to try making a fiberglass lower dash.
              Very good idea. I suspect you could sell a few.

Comment

• CharlesF
                Low Range
                • Sep 2010

When I weld holes and pin holes in thin sheet metal I back up the weld area with copper sheet. The copper sheet acts as a heat sink.

If the damage is severe I use Silicon Bronze rod, it melts at lower temps, similar to brazing.

The copper sheet works well with both Tig or Mig process, prefer Tig because of the exact heat control.

Hope this helps!

Charles

Comment

• amcordo
                  5th Gear
                  • Jun 2009

OK, so I got a response from Lasalle and they do make dashboards. But only for RHD rovers. Ugh. And they sent me a couple of pictures - they're really snazzy looking. So back to square one. I've been offered a lower dash piece in good condition for trade. Has anyone ever galvanized a dash before? I did all of those pieces earlier this summer and they survived just fine. Only they weren't of such thin metal, nor were did they have the angles invloved - lots of room for stress warpage.

Comment

• amcordo
                    5th Gear
                    • Jun 2009

OK, new plan

OK, so I'm just going to clean cut the rusted areas with a grinder, attempt to galvanize it, and then when I reassemble it (if it survives the zinc bath) I'll just cheap-lazy man weld on a new, galvanized sheet over the cut out areas (and when I say "weld" I mean use solder or something). If I do it right it'll look OK, and be just as useful as new! I may end up having to cover it with the vinyl cover or a thick bed liner coat to make the new plate look less noticeable but that's acceptable. Cross your fingers for me - pray for no warping!

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                      Overdrive
                      • Apr 2008

Well that doesn't look nearly as bad as it sounded. I'd try and keep it simple, since this piece in invisible anyway (or it will be after you re-cover it), I'd either bend up a new corner and rivet it over the bad area or I'd bend up a new corner flush patch if I were being really particular.

When I got done, I'd find an appropriate adhesive (that plenum can get pretty hot with the heater on) and cover it with as thin a piece of black naugahide as I could find.

It'll look pretty original and nobody'd ever know... Why complicate things with welders, galvanizing and the like, especially when it's a flat piece with one or 2 straight-line bends?
                      --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
                      (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• amcordo
                        5th Gear
                        • Jun 2009

All great advice! Thank you!

I'm still going to try and galvanize it so that I don't ever have to think about it rusting. But after that I'll give your flush rivet fix a try. Note that i will drill the rivet holes before galvanizing.

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                          Overdrive
                          • Apr 2008

In that case, why not patch it so it looks good, then have it powder coated black? You kill 2 birds with one stone that way.
                          --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
                          (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• thixon
                            5th Gear
                            • Jul 2007

Tony,

either ship it down, or drive it down one weekend and I'll patch it up for you. If you come down, I'll teach you to TIG weld. You can pay me in beer.
                            Travis
                            '66 IIa 88

Comment

• LaneRover
                              Overdrive
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by thixon
                              Tony,

either ship it down, or drive it down one weekend and I'll patch it up for you. If you come down, I'll teach you to TIG weld. You can pay me in beer.
                              I may take you up on that the next time I have a job in Atlanta.
                              1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
                              1965 109 SW - nearly running well
                              1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
                              1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

Working...