PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Knob linkage help

ducttape
09-19-2010, 08:14 AM
I hope my wife doesn't kill me for typing with greasy and oily hands on her new white MAC keyboard

My transfer knob rattles. The ball is sitting in a metal flange with a round hole, about the size of the ball's diameter.

There is a little piece of metal in there too. Maybe a wedge, maybe something, maybe garbage that shouldn't be there. Either way, I don't really see anyway to prevent the shifter from rattling.

Any ideas?

thx

d

SafeAirOne
09-19-2010, 08:33 AM
There is a little piece of metal in there too. Maybe a wedge, maybe something, maybe garbage that shouldn't be there.

Oddly enough, that little piece of metal is called an "anti-rattle" spring. It's #31 here (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-54-levers-linkage.aspx). Perhaps yours needs renewing.

ducttape
09-19-2010, 10:16 AM
That is one of the funniest things I have heard in Land Roverdom.

Thanks!

ducttape
09-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Ok, I received what must be the most over priced part on the planet, and got the old one out.

Has anyone any experience in replacing these?

There is a ball, fitting into a round plate. The ball has a notch the width of the piece taken out of it.

Do I just wiggle and wiggle to get the piece into the notch? Do I need to remove the linkage? Do I bungee cord the shifter and ignoer the rattle?

Help is appreciated

David

gambrinus
09-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Your engine runs quiet enough that you can hear a shifter rattle??

Must be nice.

SafeAirOne
09-26-2010, 06:53 PM
There is a ball, fitting into a round plate. The ball has a notch the width of the piece taken out of it.

Do I just wiggle and wiggle to get the piece into the notch? Do I need to remove the linkage?

I believe you just withdraw the lever till the new anti-rattle spring can be fit into the notched slot in the ball, then the lever is refit. I probably wouldn't try to jam it down there with the lever in place.

KevinNY
09-26-2010, 07:14 PM
I just slipped it in there by depressing it with a very narrow screwdriver blade.

ducttape
09-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Mark, I like Kevin's idea better...

Either way, hopefully this weekend will tell. Thanks for your help guys. Either answer, I appreciate the info

Regards

Wander
09-27-2010, 02:39 PM
While your at it-replace the shifter boot as well. Mine lever also had a slight rattle sometimes, when I replaced the boot it went away.