PDA

View Full Version : Which tail lights - UK import 73 III

NickDawson
09-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Hey folks
After a hair raising top by the local police last night,I learned that my tail lights are completely non functional.... and my registration was expired (there's no RN part number to fix my stupidity apparently). Fortunately, no citation was issued for either offense, but both officers were floored when I told them how much I'd payed (around $8K) and the female officer wanted to know "if wifey approved." ... I suggested that they should both come to MAR next weekend and left it at that :D

The good news is that the bulb was just lose on the left side. The right was a different story, the whole assembly looked like a piece of iron that someone let sit in salt water for 20 years. The base of the light was so fused into the socket as to make the thing unfixable.

As I'm looking over parts from our host, I see two options:

RNF-199 - the euro defender part
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5963-lamp-assm-stop-tail-defender-90-110-style.aspx

or

RNC-280
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1830-tail-and-stop-light-complete-assembly-excluding-bulb-series-iia-iii-1961-through-1973.aspx
which does not have a picture.

My UK import truck does not have a backup light - the rear tail light is a red flattish lens with the bottom 1/3 made of whiteish clear plastic (it's shaped like the top of a rattle can). So it appears that if I go with the RNF-199 I'd lose my backup indicators (unless I buy the euro lighting kit and add it elsewhere). Does anyone know if RNC-280 will let me use my existing lenses?

edited to add:

In reviewing the other parts, the lens I have is listed as having the clear portion to illuminate the license plate. Perhaps it is not a backup light at all - explaining why I can't ever see behind me when parking at night...
In that case - besides authenticity - anyone see any reason not to go with the euro light kit? I could go ahead and replace all the rear lights and have some spares...
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-17090-lamp-kit-euro-style-series-and-defender.aspx

griswald
09-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Nick,
I think you might do well, sourcing a used fixture from ???(ebay, or RDS come to mind)

I use a tractor light (NAPA) it is round and I have it fused and wired to a switch that I turn on when backing up. It works really well, and the lighted switch reminds me when it is on...This is a quick, inexpensive alternative to "back up lights" It also really lights up the rear field of vision, very helpful on dark nights or when trying to launch your boat in the dark

Best,
Griswald

NickDawson
09-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks Griswald!
I'm not tooooo concerned about the lack of a backup light, although your solution sounds great.

I'm more concerned about not having rear tail/brake lights at the moment - any thoughts there?

SafeAirOne
09-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Here's what the lights on my 73 SIII (from Glastonbury UK) look like. Depending on where you get them, replacement sockets (including lenses) are all plastic and cost less than ten bucks (eight something). Usually I'm not a big fan of plastic crap, but after removing and replacing the lump of corrosion that used to be my front left turn signal, I'm OK with it for this.

Note the absence of a license plate light--It resides over the UK registration plate on the right side. No reverse lamps either. I just have to be careful backing out of parking spots--cars and pedestrians seem to need back up lights to tell if a vehicle is moving in reverse. Physical movement doesn't seem to be enough sometimes.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5004580231_e5e188c6ed_z.jpg

lrdukdog
09-19-2010, 12:54 PM
I went to the auto parts (NAPA) and got the correct socket, I then cut off the rusty bit and JB Welded the new socket into the old plate. Worked great for years.
Jim Wolf

NickDawson
09-20-2010, 11:54 AM
I went to the auto parts (NAPA) and got the correct socket, I then cut off the rusty bit and JB Welded the new socket into the old plate. Worked great for years.
Jim Wolf

Thanks! Never occurred to me that the socket and the plate were two different parts. I like your idea - any idea what that type of socket is called?

lrdukdog
09-20-2010, 01:44 PM
As I recall they have the stop/taillight and the turn signal both. The s/tl will be the one with two contacts and (I think) two wires and the TS will only have one of each. This will at least get you going without the cops bothering you for awhile.
Jim Wolf