PDA

View Full Version : How to fill transmission oil without making a mess

Cutter
09-19-2010, 05:30 PM
The title kind of describes it, the filler hole on the side isn't so easy to get fluids in. I ended up snaking a tube down through the tunnel and into the hole. There is probably some tool I am lacking, which may be obvious but I'm clueless.

jac04
09-19-2010, 05:41 PM
They make a pump that screws onto the top of the gear lube bottle/jug.

lrdukdog
09-19-2010, 05:45 PM
I know some that use ole' fashioned oil cans, The type with flexable tube spout, pump thingy on the handle and about a quarts worth of 90 weight.
Jim Wolf

stomper
09-19-2010, 05:54 PM
for about 12 bucks, you can buy an oil suringe at NAPA, or other stores. you draw out the oil from the jug, and then place the hose into the filler hole and gently push the suringe plunger in.:thumb-up: The suringe holds around a quart of oil or so.

SalemRover
09-19-2010, 08:45 PM
I really miss my SII for this one bit of maintenance fun. Just slide the cover on the transmission tunnel, pop off the breather and pour in. It was so easy that you could do this at a stop light on a hot day.

Now it's crawl under the truck and pump away with 90 wt.

-Jason

stonefox
09-19-2010, 09:13 PM
My 63 has the fill/breather on top, I didn't know it is a luxury item. Unfortuneatly there is no dip stick. Its a shame because there is still the casting for it.How much money would it really have costed back then if they left the fill plug and dip stick on the later models. I know I would have splurged for it. I recently saw an invoice for a truck similar to mine from '63 for about $2900. What would you do for a time machine to go back and stash a couple of then in the back barn.

Cutter
09-20-2010, 09:20 AM
I wonder if it is possible to retrofit the fill/breather onto a SIII box. I should probably locate and tighten up the leaks at the rate she's dumping oil, but I should just have some reservoir up top that slowly feeds oil, like an auto oiler on a milling machine.

Linus Tremaine
09-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Get an old stainless steel extinguisher with a schrader valve on it. Fill it with gear oil, charge with air= oil cannon. You can fill a swivel ball in under ten seconds. You can get a longer hose too. Just grind the ends out and hose clamp a longer hose on to the extinguisher and the old nipple back in on the end.

stomper
09-20-2010, 12:38 PM
I just threw one of those in the dump about 6 months ago. That is a really great idea. then again, mine would have taken about 5 gallons of oil to top it up. That's a lot of EP90!

NickDawson
09-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Previously - I've been using a tube and funnel. Take out the middle seat, open access panel and have at it. It was surprisingly not too messy.

Last time, I just opened the inspection cover and dumped the oil straight in. I kind of over filled it and quite literally created a james bond style oil spray behind my truck all the way from Lynchburg to Richmond. Still, it was a painless way to top up :D

I Leak Oil
09-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Nick, are you talking about filling the transfer case throught the inspection cover or the transmission?

amcordo
09-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Here's the thing I use. Works in any size oil jug and was $10 at Meijer:
http://www.google.com/products?q=penzoil+oil+hand+pump&aq=f

luckyjoe
09-22-2010, 07:43 AM
I buy 90wt is 5 gallon pails. I picked-up a hand pump that replaces the lid on the pail from NAPA. I couldn't find it on the NAPA website, but it looks a bit like this:
http://www.uvsupply.com/products/INK%20AND%20COATING%20HANDLING.B3.PUMPS%20HAND.PUM PHAND/5%20GALLON%20HAND%20PUMP.PUMPHAND%20I/PUMPHAND%20I_J004001_WebPic1.jpg

I put the pail on a small flat cart and just pull it around the LR's. On the hose end there is a hooked pipe that I slip in the fill hole, then pump the lever.

I'll never handle 90wt. any other way (in the shop at least...).

Cutter
09-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Yeah I found that 5gal pump, where do you buy the 90wt in that quantity? Probably be worth it in the long run.

luckyjoe
09-23-2010, 07:17 AM
... where do you buy the 90wt in that quantity?

Most auto parts shops, Ag supply, etc. should carry it or can get it in a day or two...

smukai
09-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Agreed on the 5 gal. pail and the pump...I've been doing that for years and it really is the easiest way!

bpj911
09-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Any other way than the 5 gallon pail with the pump is aggravating, messy and ridiculous. If you plan to have a truck like this, you need a 5 gallon pail with a pump. That's all there is to it.

Les Parker
09-23-2010, 12:33 PM
I have found one of this style at Western Marine :-

http://boatingsavings.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Sierra-International-Quart-Oil-Pump.aspx?a=623570&kwtid=515112&pm2d=CSE-BSV-8-BING

:thumb-up:

alaskajosh
09-23-2010, 12:49 PM
I have found one of this style at Western Marine :-

http://boatingsavings.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Sierra-International-Quart-Oil-Pump.aspx?a=623570&kwtid=515112&pm2d=CSE-BSV-8-BING

:thumb-up:

My experience with (something that looked exactly like) this thing was poor, to state it politely. For the first moment of pumping it did very little, then it made a horrendous mess, then it broke... all over the course of about 5 seconds.
I'm keeping my eyes out for other solutions... some interesting ideas here!

LaneRover
09-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Funny, I use one like that that you can by at autoparts stores and it has been great. It fits right on top of a quart bottle of 90w.

Maybe the Marine one requires cursing while knee deep in salt water rather than cursing under a truck in the middle of winter in order to work properly.

disco2hse
09-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Previously - I've been using a tube and funnel. Take out the middle seat, open access panel and have at it. It was surprisingly not too messy.

What I have always done. You can get funnels with measures on them to help with quantities. I tie the funnel to the side mirror. Works for both the gearbox and transfer case.

One cute little doodacky I've used even had a little tap on the funnel so you could get it all set up, prefill the funnel, and then turn the tap.

Something I haven't tried but just came to mind is to use one of those plastic fuel cans with the long flexible spout.

http://www.stowers.co.nz/productimages/6049.jpg

daveb
09-24-2010, 07:46 AM
I've been using the FLAPS gallon jug pump. L misplaced the last good one I had, and the new knock-off imitator they sell sucks in comparison. It doesn't have a clip to keep the hose stored when you aren't using it, and it doesn't move as much oil. I've always wanted to get an Oil Safe, but haven't got around to it. The 90 doesn't leak (and neither did the RRC) the way my Series trucks have so there isn't that constant need to add gear oil. So not the most pressing issue these days.

http://www.fluiddefense.com/Store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=101005
http://www.fluiddefense.com/Store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=102000