PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake. Oops.

amcordo
09-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Hi!

So I'm pulling the rover out from under the tree it's been sitting under for the past two months to drive it all winter. Well I couldn't get the parking brake to turn off; the white button wouldn't push in. So I used a heavy object on the white button. It worked to get the lever unstuck, but I'm pretty sure the brake is still on, and now the parking brake lever moves freely. Oops. Suggestions to quick fix?

Cutter
09-25-2010, 11:33 AM
use a wrench to back off the shoes with the adjuster? Maybe that doesn't work with it engaged, but that would be my first try.

JackIIA
09-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Tony - Have you checked the rod connection at the base of the brake handle (where it bends). There is a linkage point there to transfer the downward pressure to a second rod to then release the rachet. Perhaps when you forced the button the two rods became disconnected. If that were the case, you'd have no pressure on the button now. Do you get the rachet sound when you apply the brake now?

Even if that is the case, sounds like it isn't the main problem. Spray some brake kleen in the brake drum, or better yet, take the brake drum off so you can see what's going on. And grease all the movement points leading up to the brake housing.

amcordo
09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks all. Just all rusted and gunked up. I swore at it a bunch and oiled it up; it's working fine now, though dragging a bit. I need to take it all off, sand down the rust, and coat it with some POR 15.