PDA

View Full Version : S III engine speed control

artpeck
09-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Was poking around yesterday after getting the engine running and realized that there is an engine speed control to the right of the driver below knee height. It is a lever that has locking notches and raises the rpm as you move it to the right. Curious if this was standard, common or uncommon on trucks of this era. Mine is a 73 '88.

I have a hand throttle on my defender but it is a squeeze type mounted on the shift lever. This doesn't seem as useful given the location and mechanism but still interesting to find. Thanks!

SafeAirOne
09-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Sounds like a hand throttle to me. Neither common nor rare.

Item #36 here on our host's catalog (just noticed that they have 2 number 36s---It's obviously not the one that's the gearshift lever ;) ):
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/product/large/LR-page81.1.jpg

artpeck
09-26-2010, 10:46 AM
That is exactly it. Thanks. I missed it in the catalog.

ignotus
09-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Art,

The hand throttle was put on so you could run farm implements thru the PTO off the transmission.

gene

artpeck
09-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks. I also saw it used several times in Botswana crossing very informal log bridges where feet were better on the brake and clutch.

NickDawson
09-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Are those only for diesel models?
I have the controls in the cabin of my truck but the linkage is disconnected. I thought I read that they were for diesels only.

Terrys
09-28-2010, 09:21 AM
nah, they were on petrols too, but while most MOD trucks had them, they were far less common on US imported trucks. I'm not sure if it was standard, but most early 2As I've had, had the center mounted hand throttle.

stomper
09-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I've been meaning to ask this for a while. My IIa throttle control vibrates at certain RPM, and makes an annoying racket. if I hold the lever, it stops. anyone come up with a good anti rattle device for this?

I use mine a lot to bump up the RPM slightly (one notch) when the engine is cold, to allow for a better idle speed. once it warms up, I lower it back down.

artpeck
09-28-2010, 12:04 PM
According to the original owner who I bought the truck from this was a factory installed option on this US import, petrol engine truck.

TSR53
09-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Sounds like a hand throttle to me. Neither common nor rare.

Item #36 here on our host's catalog (just noticed that they have 2 number 36s---It's obviously not the one that's the gearshift lever ;) ):

This has been fixed and I updated the link.
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-107-dashboard.aspx