PDA

View Full Version : Bent Valve/push rod?

Burlsube
09-27-2010, 09:44 AM
I took my "new" 88 in for a few repairs (mainly a general tune up) and the mechanic called and said the reason why it was running so poorly is that it seems to have a bent valve/push rod.

The engine was recently rebuilt but only has a handful of miles on it.

Has any one experienced this? I thought that only happened on high horsepower engines?

I Leak Oil
09-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Ouch! Sounds like you need to take it to whom ever rebuilt the motor. If it's only one I'd say it was either like that before the rebuild and the shop didn't pick up on it (get a new shop) or perhaps the pushrod wasn't seated correctly, rocker arm not adjusted correctly or maybe something dropped into the cylinder and has had a colision with the valve.

Burlsube
09-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Yeah. It was rebuild by Vermont Engine. I believe RN uses them to do their engines. It was supposedly a new engine, so I believed all of this would have been sorted out. It was one valve, so I hope it is anomaly. Looks like I might need to put up my RRC to pay for this one...:(

SafeAirOne
09-27-2010, 10:14 AM
It was one valve, so I hope it is anomaly. Looks like I might need to put up my RRC to pay for this one...:(

Replacing one valve pushrod shouldn't be that tough. It only involves removal of the rocker cover and rocker shaft. Not much of a teardown, unless more disassembly was done during troubleshooting.

I Leak Oil
09-27-2010, 10:26 AM
It's not under warranty???? I'd be standing on someones desk until they made it right.

If it's just the pushrod then it's really easy as Mark said. If it's also a valve then the head needs to come off and some work might need to be done with it depending on the damage.

Les Parker
09-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Have you ben in contact with the initial rebuilder?
It would be more correct to follow that path and give them the chance to put it right before building up a head of steam.

:nono:

Terrys
09-27-2010, 10:46 AM
It's hardly a catastrophic event, and fairly common. Perhaps and old 7:1 pushrod got mixed in. They are slightly longer than an 8:1. Perhaps a sticky valve snapped back. Whatever they cause, the part is cheap, and it doesn't take an hr to replace.

Burlsube
09-27-2010, 10:51 AM
That doesn't sound too bad then.

The rebuilder said there is no warranty since I am not the original owner.

I'd give it a whirl, but I dont have anytime in the next few weeks.

I Leak Oil
09-27-2010, 11:01 AM
That doesn't sound too bad then.

The rebuilder said there is no warranty since I am not the original owner.

I'd give it a whirl, but I dont have anytime in the next few weeks.

With just a few miles I would have figured they'd still stand behind their work but I guess that's a thing of the past. Give the job a shot. It's not that bad and you're bound to learn something about this new to you vehicle.

Terrys, I'd respectfully disagree that a bent valve or pushrod is common on a fairly fresh rebuild. There's just no reason for it unless something wasn't put together right, barring any other monkeying around with it. Not something you'd plan on happening on a professional rebuild job.

Terrys
09-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Terrys, I'd respectfully disagree that a bent valve or pushrod is common on a fairly fresh rebuild.
Actually, all I said was that it was fairly common, but I didn't say it was common on a fresh rebuild, nor did I say anything about a bent valve. Who knows what the OP means by a "few" miles, if he didn't have the engine rebuilt himself. That aside, a freshly done head would presume valve guides were replaced, which may be tighter than normal. The reason a pushrod gets bent to begin with is most frequently a valve snapping back, as opposed to simply closing by spring relaxation. Snapping back can be from a sticking valve stem, or very advance ignition detonation, something entirely out the hands of the rebuilder.
If you, or anyone for that matter, has occassion to pull the rocker shaft, take all your pushrods out, and line them up and with your plam, roll them across a flat surface. You will be surprised to see how many are not straight. I have pulled some that were so bowed that the middle of the rod was in the same plane as the ends, i.e., they won't roll 360 degrees.
Also, it takes a VERY bent rod to reduce valve travel to the extent it will be detected in rough running (these are plodders, not Lamborghinis), and that's not likely to be missed by any engine rebuilder.

I Leak Oil
09-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Gotcha, but what we're talking about IS a fairly fresh rebuild with a handfull of mile on it. To answer the guys question I think you have to assume that's accurate. If it's a sticky valve, that's most likely a build issue as well. That's what I'm getting at. If you take the little info provided at face value, you could easily assume it's a build issue. Of course there could have been something else along the way that caused it. Advanced timing? Maybe, but I would think it would have damaged more than just one valve. Heck, Burlsube's mechanic could be full of it for all we know.
I don't disagree with you in general, just in the context of the original question and the assumption that Burslube is accurate in his assesment of the recent rebuild.

Burlsube
09-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Yeah. It seems like a lot of unknowns. The engine looks like a legit rebuild and the PO said it literally only have 10-15 miles on it. He used it around the yard and it wasnt driven on the road. The rod/valve issue seemed to pop up after using some old gas and a vigorous drive to the shop. I'm wondering if it something not being adjusted after being broken in.

I'm hoping the mechanic isnt messing around. It is a Rover shop, just not the one I generally use...

SafeAirOne
09-27-2010, 05:49 PM
...the PO said it literally only have 10-15 miles on it. He used it around the yard and it wasnt driven on the road... ...I'm wondering if it something not being adjusted after being broken in.

If it was rebuilt and it only had 10-15 miles of yard driving on it, then it WASN'T broken in!

I Leak Oil
09-27-2010, 07:02 PM
...but was definitely broken!:mad: You shouldn't be bending valve stems and pushrods even with an improperly broken in motor. The rings may not seat right but the valve stems shouldn't bend.
Will be interesting to see what your mechanic finds.

Burlsube
09-27-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm hoping he doesnt find much. I don't want to make his boat payment.

I Leak Oil
09-28-2010, 04:49 AM
Ha I hear ya. You know what boat stands for right???? This applies to rovers also.
"B"reak
"O"ut
"A"ntother
"T"housand

:D

JimCT
09-28-2010, 05:04 AM
Old gas can end up forming a varnish that acts to glue the valves into the valve guides. I have seen guides pushed out of the head because of that.