PDA

View Full Version : Okay maybe a 2.25 may have to do....

northshorelocal
03-21-2007, 06:36 PM
i am having a hard time finding the 2.5GM litre engine for the Robert Davis adaptation kit up here in Canada so I may possibly need to just do up my own 2.25 rover engine. I will look further into finding the right 2.5 GM but for some reason wreckers and engine rebuild shops don't have the type I need.
So............ an 8:1 head will help with horse power but much else? I know it already has a rebuilt Solex so that is a little better, reground cam to the specs of a 2.5 litre rover and K&N air filter I have heard helps but anything else?
Any advice on the 2.25 would be great.

Leslie
03-21-2007, 07:47 PM
If you've gone to an 8:1 head and a 2.5 cam, I'd go w/ a 2-bbl Weber on a Pierce manifold. That, coupled with a non-restrictive exhaust, is about the best you're going to get w/ the 2.25...

yorker
03-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Larger diameter exhaust, properly set up Rochester carb, 2.5 cam, electronic ignition. You can also raise compression to 9:1, fit headers, port and polish the head. All the modifications cost $ and have their pluses and minuses.

some info on various carbs:

http://path4x4.com/fotos/Carburadores.htm

northshorelocal
03-21-2007, 08:47 PM
can i get the rochester from a wreckers and a rebuild kit from lordco?and a large diamter exaust from...get on made locally?

bamarover
03-21-2007, 11:31 PM
If you do all of that, you might want to look at adding overdrive or 5 speed to take advantage. The stock brakes are adequate for stock engine. I am not sure they would be for a lot more top end speed. We have brand new rebuilt engine .010 over, 8.5:1, 2.5 cam, some head port polishing, no headers, but larger exhaust and flowmaster muffler. Until we get overdrive or 5 speed, not much difference in top end speed is practical for us. It is just revved up to much after about 55 mph in 4th gear from my perspective. There is pedal left, but rpms seem too high beyond that speed, may not be, but feels and sounds that way. I might just be chicken to go faster since I know who put it back together from parts laying everywhere in the garage! You get used to steady plodding at 55 after awhile! Just FY evaluation. Keep us posted on what you end up doing and results.
Greg

yorker
03-22-2007, 07:42 AM
can i get the rochester from a wreckers and a rebuild kit from lordco?and a large diamter exaust from...get on made locally?

British Pacific used to sell Rochesters- check their site. They are pretty common too, post over on Guns and Rovers- quite a few guys there have used them.

TeriAnn
03-22-2007, 11:10 AM
some info on various carbs:

http://path4x4.com/fotos/Carburadores.htm

Shades of the past! I'm glad someone captured that British Pacific FAQ page and kept it on line. There was a lot of good information in the old British Pacific FAQ & tech section web pages. I was very unhappy :mad: when I was instructed to delete the British Pacific FAQ and tech web pages. BP concluded that they didn't have enough time to keep these sections current and better to delete them than have customers making decisions based upon obsolete info.

The best I could do at the time was save the Series tech spec web page.

http://www.landroverparts.us/seriesLandRover/LandRovertech.html

I built a single page that had the tune up specs, torque specs, fluid capacities, types & change intervals and oddball stuff like which bulbs go where.

:thumb-up:Thanks to whomever for saving that Series carb. FAQ page. It is the only one with BP's jetting recommendations for the Weber carbs.

yorker
03-22-2007, 03:26 PM
:thumb-up:Thanks to whomever for saving that Series carb. FAQ page. It is the only one with BP's jetting recommendations for the Weber carbs.

I don't know who saved it, I ran across it a while ago while searching for some5thing and I bookmarked it. The Weber jet info is great- I had looked for that info for a LONG time- too bad I found that after I had swapped out my Weber. :(

Hopefully someone can use the info there and mirror the info on their site too in case that one goes down.

TeriAnn
03-23-2007, 09:18 AM
I don't know who saved it, I ran across it a while ago while searching for some5thing and I bookmarked it. The Weber jet info is great- I had looked for that info for a LONG time- too bad I found that after I had swapped out my Weber. :(

Hopefully someone can use the info there and mirror the info on their site too in case that one goes down.

I'll seak it into my LR web site so it won't be lost again. Thanks again for finding it.