PDA

View Full Version : Toro Overdrive

osajaj
09-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Picked up a Toro Overdrive but looking for the clutch sleeve. Does anyone know where I can find one in good shape?? Please help.

superstator
09-27-2010, 06:37 PM
If it uses the same part as the fairey, Rovers Down South probably has them, and you can still find NOS parts on ebay from time to time.

osajaj
09-27-2010, 07:52 PM
rovers down south said that the part is not the same. I looked online and they look very very similar, but the guy i spoke with was very certain it didnt fit.

Apis Mellifera
09-27-2010, 07:55 PM
The splines are a lot more coarse than those of the Fairey so the parts do not interchange. Try European/Australian LR sites. They are more common in those parts of the world.

Here's the one for a Toro:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v307/dandomatic2/DSC01614.jpg

Terrys
09-27-2010, 08:13 PM
That picture may be worth the proverbial 1000 words. I saw Osajaj's clutch and it is much finer than 21 splines, If I'm remembering correctly. Kinda making me wonder if he actually has a Toro clutch at all. Osajaj, count your spline teeth, and let us know.

robert wood
09-27-2010, 10:50 PM
My feeling is that this will be a futile search. The Toro was only made for a few years and sold by Bearmach. When they still carried parts some of the parts in later units did not match the earlier units. You might find a local gear cutter to make a coupling but it would be expensive. Ray

Eric W S
09-28-2010, 08:46 AM
rovers down south said that the part is not the same. I looked online and they look very very similar, but the guy i spoke with was very certain it didnt fit.

George should know. He's the one who makes Fairy's...

yorker
09-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Is there any chance Paul Heystee's ex Santana "Superdrive" shares any parts? It might be worth asking him.

robert wood
09-28-2010, 04:47 PM
The 'SUPERDRIVE' is a pipe dream. It has been just about available for the last three years. Rather like the 'Tim Payne' unit in the UK. Ray

Les Parker
09-29-2010, 10:58 AM
From looking at the clutch sleeve at the weekend, it was very similar to the Fairey version.
I'll have a rumage and see if I can get some pix.

osajaj
09-29-2010, 03:42 PM
I will try and take some pics with my phone today with everything. Thanks for all the help guys. I have been posting on some australian and uk boards as well looking for the part.

osajaj
10-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I think the only way to get the overdrive working and in the truck is to get a clutch sleeve machined but the problem is not sure how the process works. I am assuming I actually need a clutch sleeve to duplicate or can they use the unit itself to make one. Anybody have a clue?? Thanks for the help again. I have been posting everywhere and seems like it is impossible to find, unless I can track down another toro.

yorker
10-01-2010, 12:54 PM
You might have to cut your losses and just part yours out? How attached are you to this OD anyway? An obsolete OD made from unobtanium parts isn't a great idea IMHO, it might be a good source of $ to put towards a new Roverdrive though if you part it out.

osajaj
10-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Not too attached but I feel it would be a waste to part her out. Or that I wont get enough for it or find another overdrive for a reasonable price.

yorker
10-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Not too attached but I feel it would be a waste to part her out. Or that I wont get enough for it or find another overdrive for a reasonable price.

I don't know how much you have invested in it but as it stands now you are pretty well screwed- you might luck into the part you need or you might be able to have it made up but that would be yet more $ into a questionable OD- how is the condition of the rest of it?

I guess you could also keep an eye on Ebay.co.uk, maybe Spain's Ebay too, and maybe luck into another used unit and make 1 from the 2.

osajaj
10-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Very true. But at the same time who is looking for another toro overdrive unit for parts and not looking for the clutch sleeve?? If there is anyone on here feel free to speak up.

Terrys
10-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm still waiting for you to post pictures of your clutch sleeve, because I distinctly recall, when I saw it at the Metal Dash Meet, that it was a finer toothed spline than the one Apis shows for his Toro.

osajaj
10-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Hopefully I will post it tomorrow. But I am thinking your right, so I may not even have the right clutch sleeve for it. Or my overdrive could be some other beast. But everyone has been saying toro. But I agree, teeth were mich smaller.

Terrys
10-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Yes, I agree, you do have a Toro, but it may be modified.
I just looked at the clutch sleeve shown on George's website and they have 38 teeth. The one Apis showed had 21 teeth. Obviously, the clutch has to mate up with the input shaft, and If my memory hasn't completely failed me, and yours is as fine as I recall, I'm wondering if the previous owner, not being able to get parts, changed the input shaft and clutch sleeve from Fairey. Count the number of spline teeth on your clutch.

Terrys
10-01-2010, 03:32 PM
The splines are a lot more coarse than those of the Fairey so the parts do not interchange. Try European/Australian LR sites. They are more common in those parts of the world.

Here's the one for a Toro:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v307/dandomatic2/DSC01614.jpg
Look at the difference between the two.

Les Parker
10-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Fairey clutch sleeve:-

:thumb-up:

73series88
10-01-2010, 04:14 PM
DAMM
THAT SUCKS DUDE!
IM GONNA HOLD OUT FOR A ROVERDRIVE.
AARON

Apis Mellifera
10-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Here's the rest of the Toro:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v307/dandomatic2/DSC01612.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v307/dandomatic2/DSC1606.jpg

I sold this one last week. If yours is cheap enough, my buyer may be interested in buying it as a spare. He may also be willing to provide measurements if you want to have a CS made. If it were me, I'd look into adapting Fairey parts or I'd make make the missing part. If you go the fabrication route, a photocopy of the gear would be great to have. I wish this would have come up a week ago.

Donnie
10-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Picked up a Toro Overdrive but looking for the clutch sleeve. Does anyone know where I can find one in good shape?? Please help.
How bad is your sleeve? are the teeth just worn off, chipped, or is the part missing?

yorker
10-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Well if you want a n o t h e r one JayHoe on the LRUK forum has a working one he'll part with for the right $:

Link (http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php/200245-Anyone-have-a-Toro-OD-or-Toro-OD-parts-on-habd-for-sale)

osajaj
10-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Apis. Is there anyway that you can get me all the measurements and maybe even a copy, or whatever info I need to get one made. Thanks for the help. I would like to get this bad boy in, but depending on the price of getting something machined. If its too pricey I may be interested in selling it. Thanks again.

osajaj
10-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Terry, I agree with you that the clutch sleeve I have has much finer teeth. I will take a look today. My thought is that the clutch sleeve may be from a fairey OD and it actually doesnt fit. I guess when I look I will have to take a look at the grooves inside and see if that is changed. Thanks to everyone helping on this. Also I spoke with RDS and he said you can not change anything out to make it work, central shaft or clutch sleeve. Thats why I am assuming that the clutch sleeve I have is just not the correct one.

Apis Mellifera
10-04-2010, 01:56 PM
I sold all my Toro things a week or so ago so I can't measure anything. I don't know if the buyer will be willing to help, but I can get you his contact info if you're interested.

osajaj
10-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Yes, that would be great. Anything would help.

osajaj
10-16-2010, 06:39 PM
ok, here are some pics. The OD looks like a Toro, but the gears are much smaller. Any ideas out there. It def seems to have finer teeth than the toro.

osajaj
10-16-2010, 06:40 PM
more pics

osajaj
10-16-2010, 06:40 PM
and again

osajaj
10-17-2010, 08:42 PM
do the pics help at all. Anyone have any clue what i have on my hands?? Super confused now. Not sure if someone just threw things together and now I have some frankenstein OD. Not even sure if it will work now. Anyone have experience with these near RI that could take a look.

I Leak Oil
10-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Just a guess but perhaps you have an OD that was meant for a coiler or LT95 and not a series?

osajaj
10-18-2010, 08:25 AM
I hope note. It seems like the series style and looks like the toro. I guess I need someone with more experience to take an indepth look at it.

Apis Mellifera
10-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Did you post these pictures over at Old Leaf-Sprung LR? They should know. Have you tried a Fairey CS?

osajaj
10-18-2010, 09:54 AM
No, I have not. Are you a memeber, would you be so kind to do that for me???

Apis Mellifera
10-18-2010, 09:10 PM
With the few replys there, they agree that it looks like a Toro, but seems to have nonstandard Toro parts. Hate to say it, but you might be out of luck. How much did you pay for it? I'd be interested in taking it apart and seeing if Fairey parts were modified (or could be modified) to fit.

osajaj
10-19-2010, 08:54 AM
hmmmm.....all i want is a working OD, haha. I will take any help on figuring out the best solution.

lrdukdog
10-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Put this thing in a cardboard box bury it in your backyard and buy an overdrive from Wiseowl, or RDS.:D I suppose you could contact the person you bought it form for some information or just send it to Apis Mellifera to see what he thinks about it. It couldn't be for that other "rover", you know the one NASA left on the moon do you think?:rolleyes:
Jim Wolf
getting his coat on as he leaves.;)

osajaj
10-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Ok, I think the plan is to find a decent fairey clutch sleeve (I believe its the same teeth), and put it in. If it works it works, if it doesnt then we start the search again of part it out. I am sure someone would be interested in parts. But I want to see if it works first. On that note, anyone have a fair priced clutch sleeve. Just trying to see if this bad boy works. Thanks, once again, for the help. Apis, thanks for the insight, I will let you know how things go.

73series88
10-20-2010, 11:14 AM
mann i gave one away during the metal dash weekend.

osajaj
10-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Damn you!!! You jammed me up, you had the mount kit and bracket and now the CS....come on!!! haha

TeriAnn
12-22-2011, 09:07 PM
The 'SUPERDRIVE' is a pipe dream. It has been just about available for the last three years. Rather like the 'Tim Payne' unit in the UK. Ray

I very late on this rely, but I'm corresponding with a guy in Michigan who has an actual Superdrive manufactured by Paul's company. He also has the Heystee front disc brake conversion installed.

So it appears that at least one production run was made of each.

It was just delayed and not vaporware.