PDA

View Full Version : time 4 a message

Donnie
09-27-2010, 08:17 PM
I just spent an hour typing a VERY conclusive explanation about my trucks that I have 4 sale only to be timed out because I decided early in life that I was not going to B a secretary....so I skipped typing.....
When I went to post it .....I found that I had been dropped...............
Question, where did my message go & how do I find it? Or am I just getting the shaft???:mad:

SafeAirOne
09-27-2010, 08:24 PM
I suspect it's gone forever. The cure for that:

1) type faster ;) or

2) After typing anything lengthy, highlight the whole thing and copy it to the clipboard (ctrl+c). That way if you get bumped, it'll still be in the computer's memory and all you need to do is open up a new thread or reply and paste it in (ctrl+v).

Mountain132
09-27-2010, 08:32 PM
or you could be in the position of my wife's 80yr old grandmother that has her emails returned by a very nice lady who says that she is sorry but can't deliver the email because of the wrong address. She can't deliver the mail but has the time to say she can't deliver it, why can't she just deliver it anyway, I don't see what the problem is.......

I have to hear that about twice a week, imagine trying to explain that it's not a real person

Why would a machine say that it's sorry

sounds logical

Donnie
09-27-2010, 08:46 PM
I suspect it's gone forever. The cure for that:

1) type faster ;) or

2) After typing anything lengthy, highlight the whole thing and copy it to the clipboard (ctrl+c). That way if you get bumped, it'll still be in the computer's memory and all you need to do is open up a new thread or reply and paste it in (ctrl+v).
Yea, I was afraid of that answer...Thanks...BTW, how much time is allowed to post???

SafeAirOne
09-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Yea, I was afraid of that answer...Thanks...BTW, how much time is allowed to post???

Not sure. The way you describe it, maybe a paragraph or so?? :D

ignotus
09-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Having experienced the same thing before I usually compose my long post/reply on my write email program then copy and paste it to the forum.

lrdukdog
09-27-2010, 10:36 PM
What he said. I started doing this on the G&R board due to YUKU f_cking it all up too often. I usually use word then copy and paste.
Jim

LaneRover
09-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Why would a machine say that it's sorry

Because it learned to do something and then decided it didn't like humans.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS225676041920100927

TSR53
09-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Ok Gents, I've doubled the time of inactivity which is called a "Session Timeout".

It has been set at 30 minutes (1800 seconds) and now is bumped up to 60 minutes (3600 seconds) for all us old school typists, me included ;) . Hopefully this helps, let me know if you need more time.

I Leak Oil
09-28-2010, 08:14 AM
I just spent an hour typing a VERY conclusive explanation about my trucks that I have 4 sale only to be timed out because I decided early in life that I was not going to B a secretary....so I skipped typing.....

Donnie, I took typing in high school, only because that class was nearly all girls! A male teenager is affected by two types of fumes. Gasoline fumes and perfume....But, I've come to appreciate my decision because it's been one of the most useful and time saving classes I could have possibly taken. It's that whole hindsite is 20/20 thing....:D

Good luck selling your trucks.

Cutter
09-28-2010, 08:36 AM
I can't count how many times I've done what you just did, generally I walk away, have a beer and start over.

mongoswede
09-28-2010, 10:37 AM
be aware that there is also a cap on the number of photos you can link to in a single post. i think its 10 photos....I found out the hard way after linking to like 35 photos in a for sale post.

ignotus
09-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Ok Gents, I've doubled the time of inactivity which is called a "Session Timeout".

It has been set at 30 minutes (1800 seconds) and now is bumped up to 60 minutes (3600 seconds) for all us old school typists, me included ;) . Hopefully this helps, let me know if you need more time.

Thanks, Thompson! I for one appreciate it as I hunt and peck along.....

gene

TSR53
09-28-2010, 11:19 AM
be aware that there is also a cap on the number of photos you can link to in a single post. i think its 10 photos....I found out the hard way after linking to like 35 photos in a for sale post.
For those of us that do use iPhones, iPod touch's and mobile devices ( I test on both my 1st gen iPod Touch and iPad ) I've narrowed down the number somewhat because it takes too long to download photos linked in a thread via 3G network, even boggy sometimes with WiFi. I have implemented BBCode programing so that you can link your full size images and the forum will automatically resize down to 700px wide. If you need to link up 35 photos, just reply again with another post and this will keep it bumped up to the top! Hope this helps, please let me know if you anything else.

TSR53
09-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks, Thompson! I for one appreciate it as I hunt and peck along.....

geneYou are welcome!

mongoswede
09-28-2010, 04:06 PM
For those of us that do use iPhones, iPod touch's and mobile devices ( I test on both my 1st gen iPod Touch and iPad ) I've narrowed down the number somewhat because it takes too long to download photos linked in a thread via 3G network, even boggy sometimes with WiFi. I have implemented BBCode programing so that you can link your full size images and the forum will automatically resize down to 700px wide. If you need to link up 35 photos, just reply again with another post and this will keep it bumped up to the top! Hope this helps, please let me know if you anything else.

yep...I just did a bunch or replies with additional photos....it just sucked the first time I hit submit and realized I had hit a cap...it took a while to aquire all of the links.

Donnie
09-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks Thompson, I will have another go at it, but not tonite..Today was a tough one. need rest.......Donnie