PDA

View Full Version : She lives!

printjunky
10-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Just at the end of buttoning up my dash after a full rewire/modern fusebox install (plus a carb rebuild/dizzy rebuild/assorted details attended to) and while waiting for the last few parts, hooked everything up, and cranked it over. IT'S ALIIIIIVVVVE!!!! First time it's run in 11 years (8 in a Wisconsin barn, then 3 with me).

Plenty more to do before the snow flies (clutch/brakes checked), but it's a big step.

Speaking of more to do, I know it's here somewhere, but damn if i can find it. Anyone know the wiring for the warning light on the fuel light tab on the allmakes sending unit?? I'm pretty sure it's power to the bulb, and low=ground, but if I can avoid pulling the sender to test, that would be great.

ccmohan
10-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Congratulations on your victory! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of harness did you use for your rewire??

thanks
chris

printjunky
10-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Chris,
Simple answer is original harness with a modern fusebox.

The PO installed an new original harness before retiring the Rover to the barn. But nothing was hooked up, the harness was just run. Knowing the shortcomings of the original fusing system, when I hooked everything up, I spliced in a fusebox from a mid-90s Caddy. I think if you click on my profile you can see all of my posts. Look for posts I made on a thread started by Amcordo - something about modern fuse bock in a SIII. I basically hijacked Tony's thread (with his blessing) to show my fusebox install. The electrics are pretty much done now, and I'll be adding the remaining photos and details soon to that thread.

Shawn

Terrys
10-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Low fuel warning light is simple. Green (switched power) to the light, light shell to the tab on the almakes sender. I used the amber push-in lamp, in the center plugged hole on my S3. Seems to come on a little below 1/4 tank, depending on the weather, phase of the moon, etc.

SeriesShorty
10-03-2010, 05:01 PM
:thumb-up:

txffjim
10-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Great job! Fix what you need and get her driving before it gets too cold! :thumb-up: