PDA

View Full Version : Dead battery

derekchace
10-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Hey Guys,
I am having some problems with a dead battery. I there seems to be something draining my battery very slowly. My local mechanic installed a light for my rear plate and I think ever since then something is draining. I thought maybe it was just i need of a new batter but that did not fix it. First problem my red charge light was one when the Rovers was off and would only go out when the Rover was running. I brought it back in and he managed to get the red light to go out. Now the Cold Start light will not go out! even with the chock all the way in. So I am kind of getting the idea that my mechanic splicing into my rear lights to install a light for my plate has screwed it up. Please let me know what you think.
Derek

alaskajosh
10-02-2010, 02:01 AM
I wonder where he tapped in for your license plate light? I would think into one of your rear tail light circuits which is pretty straightforward and not likely to bodge up other systems.

A trouble shooting tool to check for drain and narrow down it's source is to take your multimeter, set up to read amps (note that, depending on your meter, this may involve a change in the ports your meter leads are plugged into as well as dial setting). Shut down all things electrical on the car. Remove the negative battery lead and probe the negative battery post and the other probe to ground (the neg batt cable terminal). If you're getting a reading there's a leak. Now experiment with removing fuses, disconnecting things, whatever, to change or eliminate that reading. In this way you can confirm a leak then narrow down, and identify, it's source.

Good luck.. that sounds tricky with the weird and wonderful dash light display!