PDA

View Full Version : Growling noise in front end

Jim Draper
10-03-2010, 10:33 AM
This may be a stupid question. Sorry if it is. When I am backing up my 1996 range rover, and turning at the same time, there is a growling noise in the front end. The 4 wheel drives I have had previously had u-joints in the front axles, which had a distinct clunking noise when they went bad. I am not familiar with the rover axles yet. Is this noise I am hearing normal, or something I should be concerned with?

Jim Draper
10-04-2010, 06:56 PM
OK, so I checked the level of the gear lube in the front diff. I couldn't find any. I pulled the drain plug, and almost nothing came out. I just filled it with Mobil 1 75w90 synthetic gear lube. There is no noise when I am going down the road, only when I make sharp turns. The empty diff scares me though.

spacemutt
11-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Have you got the steering on full lock? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

Jim Draper
11-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Sorry, I'm not familiar to the term "full lock" in relation to steering. This is my first land rover, and I'm new to a lot of it. I will check the power steering fluid, but I don't think that's it. Please explain full lock.

spacemutt
11-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Full lock is where you have the steering to either it's extreme left of right where it can go no further. This will cause power steering fluid to circulate causing a noise.

It wouldn't surprise me if the fluid was low.

joshua.mcguoirk
12-10-2010, 05:18 AM
OK, so I checked the level of the gear lube in the front diff. I couldn't find any. I pulled the drain plug, and almost nothing came out. I just filled it with Mobil 1 75w90 synthetic gear lube. There is no noise when I am going down the road, only when I make sharp turns. The empty diff scares me though.

If the diff was empty... I'd suspect the swivel balls are empty too. Using the same gear lube top off the swivel balls. Unless of course there aren't any on this model year... then I suspect hubs or steering box. Again check all fluids... steering, transmission, transfer case, rear diff...