PDA

View Full Version : How to proceed when people looks at your Land Rover

Gilberto
10-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi to all of you!

I own one of the few Series Land Rovers in Mexico, she is a SII A Lightweight and RHD for more uniqueness.
Every time I drive her I get thumbs up and all kind of nice expressions, and some people just look with admiration in their faces, but do nothing.
Shall I just smile, wave my hand or do nothing?

One of the pleasures of ownership of these vehicles comes from kind people in the street.

What do you do in this case?

Cheers from Tampico, Mexico

mongoswede
10-03-2010, 12:50 PM
You should smile and wave back. If she is pretty offer to take her for a ride :thumb-up:

LR Max
10-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Usually I'm wearing my hat, sunglasses, gloves and smoking a cigar. I just give them "The Look". Possibly the 2 finger waive.

rwollschlager
10-03-2010, 03:59 PM
I usually wave back or lift my hand of the steering wheel in acknowledgement. If its another rover I usually give a grin and thumbs up or flash the lights. If its another series rover then I give a full-arm-out the window wave.

You do have a very cool truck, lets see some more pics :thumb-up:

-Rob

disco2hse
10-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Just smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave.

Escargo
10-03-2010, 08:24 PM
I was cruzing down the road the other day, doing my usual 47 mph when a pickup with NY tags came up beside me. It hung there for a long time. I finally glanced over and saw a gal was taking a video of my truck and the guy driving was going nuts.
What can you do? Just smile and wave.

stomper
10-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Disco2Hse must have kids. I recognize the Madagascar Penguin reference. :thumb-up:

Terrys
10-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Hey Gilberto, Everyone was so preoccupied with the question, they forgot to mention Thats a Very Nice Truck.

lrdukdog
10-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Well, I usually just give them the finger back:rolleyes:
Jim

amcordo
10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Well, I usually just give them the finger back:rolleyes:
Jim

Ha. I think where you're driving has an impact on the reaction.

Being where I am I probably get different reactions than you. Driving on an Interstate all the time (slow) and in stop and go traffic (takes forever to accelerate after a stop) in the middle of a busy city. I probably get a few more adverse reactions than you.

Though it's funny: I feel like I recognize drivers/vehicles that I see regularly and they're the ones that the novelty of my cool car has worn off and instead they're just irritated at following my foul smelling exhaust, whereas new drivers are pointing and smiling...

In any case the response is always the same from me: honk the goofy~happy horn twice quickly and wave like a cool-dude.

Tim Smith
10-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Hey Gilberto, Everyone was so preoccupied with the question, they forgot to mention Thats a Very Nice Truck.
2X :thumb-up:

Gilberto
10-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Nice comments, thank you.

That is, more or less what I do, but the looks that I FEEL and turn my head and there is people just looking are the ones that I still do not know how to handle.
I do not want to look presumptuous, but I feel the looks and when I turn my head, there they are! But those do not wave nor smile, just look.

So far the only Land Rover I have found are Discos, RR and Freelanders, I just tell them that this is their vehicle's grandmother, they always laugh!

The other Series II that I know in town is being restored by a friend, his father bought it new in 1959.

Here are the pictures:
The last one is very embarrassing as I got stuck within 20 feet from tarmac, the winch saved the day!

rejeep
10-05-2010, 10:44 AM
last weekend I drove my rover to a resturant to meet my family..
My father just got the new SLS with the gulwing doors.. he arrived in that car..

We parked 1 spot away from each other..

More people were looked at my Rover then his car..
we were watching from inside and tok note at the people..

stomper
10-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Those that just "look" are alway hard to figure out. I usually smile, and say something like "they sure don't make them like they used to, do they".

It sometimes breaks the ice for them to ask questions, or if they continue looking at you blankly, you aren't too embarrased. The strangest answer I recieved back was when one young 20 something replied, you mean that isn't a new vehicle? My vehicle is in good shape, but surely wouldn't pass for a new vehicle. :confused:

Gilberto
10-05-2010, 06:26 PM
I bet this guy does not remember the first car he saw.
But as the statistics say, the first car seen by 60% of developing world population is a Land Rover.
He is in a developed country but will remember his first sight of a Series for a long time.

See this link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3212984

By the way, I have other three Series II in diverse state of destruction.
See pictures. The tropical roof is going straight to Gwen as soon as I get my hand on them. I do not whether I will restore one of them, but I have some spares.
They are in a friend's ranch about three hours drive from where I live.

Cheers,

Gilberto

txffjim
10-05-2010, 07:59 PM
I usually just nod and give a 2 finger wave, unless they cut me off. :nono:

Jeepers and bikers have an official wave- do rovers?

LaneRover
10-05-2010, 08:14 PM
In the middle picture your Rover looks so shiny and clean that it almost looks like a scale model.

amcordo
10-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Jeepers and bikers have an official wave- do rovers?

I just thought of it: pretend you're wiping oil off your hands on an imaginary rag. Perfect wave!

disco2hse
10-05-2010, 09:24 PM
a 2 finger wave

Can someone explain? In this part of the world that means to signal an expletive phrase at someone, as in "get f_____!"

LaneRover
10-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Can someone explain? In this part of the world that means to signal an expletive phrase at someone, as in "get f_____!"

I think they refer to the palm out 'Victory' sign as opposed to the palm in upward motion 'get effed'.

As if they have a big 'Churchill' cigar in their mouths.

NelsAnderson
10-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Within the sports car world there is a proper hierarchy of how to wave, as explained here:

http://www.capecodbritishcarclub.org/thewave.html

Not sure how this would apply to Land Rovers though, as each one tends to be different from every other one.

bmohan55
10-06-2010, 02:14 PM
I always need both hand on the wheel of mine, so I just grin...

disco2hse
10-06-2010, 02:34 PM
I think they refer to the palm out 'Victory' sign as opposed to the palm in upward motion 'get effed'.

As if they have a big 'Churchill' cigar in their mouths.

Oh right, that'd explain the comment about a hat and cigar. Seriously I got the image of Boss Hogg being grumpy with the "the look" :sly: and flipping up two fingers. :D

http://www.senorcafe.com/archives/jdh1.jpg

As opposed to this:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/913381_f260.jpg

Didn't think it was quite right somehow so I was confused there for a bit. Thanks :rolleyes:

mongoswede
10-06-2010, 05:25 PM

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:jj-GttPwPrzkxM:http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x149/xhaahhh/peace-sign.gif&t=1

disco2hse
10-06-2010, 05:28 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:jj-GttPwPrzkxM:http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x149/xhaahhh/peace-sign.gif&t=1

Thanks M. Got that.

To give someone the "two fingered salute" anywhere in the antipodes means delivering it with the hand turned the other way.

LaneRover
10-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks M. Got that.

To give someone the "two fingered salute" anywhere in the antipodes means delivering it with the hand turned the other way.

Maybe he is showing the picture from his point of view.

Gilberto
10-06-2010, 06:21 PM
I had recovered her from the painter, he had not finished, not yet painted the hard top, hence the lack of it in this picture.
It is a classic and antique cars parade held every year by a local classic cars club and the invite anyone, so I attended. Behind Gwen is a London taxi, as you can see.