PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for oil to pour out of...

Cutter
10-03-2010, 08:32 PM
I know most things on a rover when you unbolt oil will generally pour out of, but I just dropped the rear drive shaft and oil poured out where it mounts to the transfer box/e brake. It wasn't that much, enough to leave a 5" puddle on the floor, but it seems like it is seeping still. The slotted nut on the inside there (can't remember the proper term) is pretty loose though it has a pin through it.

I'm guessing a seal on the transfer box is gone, its a relatively new rebuilt one with high output gearing from our hosts so I didn't expect it to need renewing any time soon.

jac04
10-04-2010, 01:45 PM
It's not the actual output seal - it's the seal at the splined connection between the output shaft and the output flange. It is the funky little felt/rubber seal. They always seem to weep and fill up the cavity between the drive shaft flange and the output flange. Same thing will happen at both ends of each driveshaft. No big deal really. You can replace the seal easily and smear a little Hylomar on the mating surfaces of the washer & nut when you replace them.

amcordo
10-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Les just told me that RN is going to start carrying these for us to all buy for our rovers:
http://www.google.com/products?q=oil+boom&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

Cutter
10-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah my garage is slowly becoming a superfund site. Thanks Jac04, Matt at Overland suggested tightening the nut in there as that could be the culprit as well.

rwollschlager
10-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Yeah my garage is slowly becoming a superfund site. Thanks Jac04, Matt at Overland suggested tightening the nut in there as that could be the culprit as well.

Make sure you put a cotter pin through that castle nut so it doesn't back off again. I learned the hard way, dumb mistake, easy fix :rolleyes:

-Rob

Les Parker
10-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Not sure where the boom idea came from, unless you googled earthed my driveway....