PDA

View Full Version : North Northwest Regional Discussion

RoverForm
10-05-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm looking for people from Montana/Washington/Oregon/Wyoming.

I live in Los Angeles, but am looking to move farther North/Northwest.

Looking at different areas like Missoula, Snohomish, Eugene, Portland, Jackson and Laramie.

Who's got some good things to say?

czenkov
10-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Not living in any of these states currently but have recently (2010) been traveling in all. I don't know about the towns you mention. And Not sure if you are looking for hubs of industry or a retirement spot or what your criteria are. I will probably hear about it but some of the towns I thought were pretty cool were Spokane, Dillon MT, Moscow, Pocatello and Boise ID, Union OR.

I enjoyed the atmosphere around each for different reasons. Readers digest version:
Spokane seemed pretty modern, decent beer (Northern Lights), and had a river running through it.

Dillon had a lot going on (while I was there over Labor Day) and had a pretty cool feel to the city center. Mostly ranching for industry. Supposedly Blue Ribbon Fishing.

Boise always intrigues me as does Pocatello. Pocatello has mountains all around with some pretty cool areas/canyons. Oh, and spotted a couple derelict Series south of Moscow ID.

Union was a small sleepy town with some hot springs on the outskirts. Found this one by accident.

Not much help but good luck.

RoverForm
10-06-2010, 10:12 AM
thanks czenkov.

mostly looking for less pavement and more gravel. something a little less urban, but still near enough to some industry.

i'll do some research on the places you listed. which were your favorite and why?

superstator
10-06-2010, 11:12 AM
I've lived in Portland for 10 years, and the Willamette Valley all my life. The appeal to me here is that you have a genuine urban center, but you are very close to places like the Cascades and the coast that are anything but urban. Downside is the cost, of course. The suburbs are a lot more affordable these days, but the inner city still thinks it's San Francisco lite.

Not sure what you do besides Rovering, but there's amazing hiking, mountain biking, skiing, surfing, boating, etc. all withing an hour to an hour and a halfs drive.

Bend might be worth a look too. Less urban than Portland and more affordable, especially post crash, but even more outdoors.

If you really want to live in God's Country, take a look at Enterprise, OR. I go hunting out there every few years, and it's too remote for me & my wife to realistically live there, but it's gorgeous.

leafsprung
10-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Eugene is good, big enough to have most amenities, small enough to not have traffic. hour to the coast, hour to the mountians, 3 hours to the desert.

LaneRover
10-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Spent a summer in Hood River, OR back in the 90's. Quick into the city if you need some of that, nice restaurants and strangely enough some of the best Mexican food I have ever had in my life.

If you windsurf, Hood River is a summer windsurfing center.

gudjeon
10-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Hood River, if I were 'Merican. I live just north of these places and visit often to shop, as good Canucks do.:rolleyes: I would send someone to live in Butte if they were to lose a bet.:eek:

I can go outside my door and be out in the middle of nowhere in 1/2 hour of toolie-trucking. More outdoor stuff to do than you can shake a stick at. this coming from someone that has waved a lot of sticks.

Rich Lambert
10-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Looking at different areas like Missoula, Snohomish, Eugene, Portland, Jackson and Laramie.

Snohomish? Where did that come from?

I live about 10 miles north of Snohomish...it's a very nice place.

czenkov
10-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Union/Moscow to retire.
Spokane/Portland/Pocatello/Boise for jobs
Eugene probably fits both.

We are looking for (what I think is the same you are) the same. Let me know what you find.
Drew

bkreutz
10-07-2010, 01:14 AM

I live about 10 miles north of Snohomish...it's a very nice place.

Stay away from the Seattle Metro area unless you're into sitting in constant traffic jams:mad:, I grew up here and keep saying I'm going to move, now I'm getting too old and set in my ways. Used to be a medium sized city with a small town feel, now it seems like LA North. I've read some articles that claim the traffic here is the worst in the country. Snohomish is about the point where the "country" starts.

RoverForm
10-07-2010, 11:11 AM
all great feedback.

i have friends in Vancouver and have recently been spending a considerable amount with them sailing on the sunshine coast, they keep talking about snohomish... i've never been, so naturally i'm very curious!

Stay away from the Seattle Metro area unless you're into sitting in constant traffic jams

as i said, currently living in LA, grew up here sitting on the 405 freeway. love seattle but def not looking for more traffic.

also spent a few years in boston back in '01-'03 (which oddly enough is where i first got hooked on LRs) but not looking to head back to the northeast just yet. those hot, wet summers kill me.

Union/Moscow to retire.

Spokane/Portland/Pocatello/Boise for jobs

Eugene probably fits both.
that's probably an accurate assessment.