PDA

View Full Version : checking and cleaning points??

glbft1
10-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Sorry if I posted twice do not know if first one posted,

Anyway am going to check and clean my points with emory paper and oil the rotor my question is can I hold these open and clean or do I need to rotate the engine until they open and then clean?? also If I need to replace can I
just drop in or do you have to re-time the engine?

Thanks

NickDawson
10-08-2010, 08:43 AM
The points and ignition seem to be where I've spent most of my short time with my rover.

If you are just cleaning, you should be fine to gently open them. That said, a new is runs about $5 last time I checked. If you are in doubt, it might be worthwhile to replace them and save the old set as a spare.

When you replace them, you have to re-gap them with feeler gauges. I've heard of people using a match book cover, etc - but again, a set of feelers is only a few bucks on Amazon and a worthwhile investment. Install, set the gap, crank the screw down and you should be good.

You should not have to re-time the engine. Although if you have a light or multimeter, doing a static time might also be a worthwhile.

stomper
10-08-2010, 01:54 PM
As Nick said, replace the old points, regap properly, and then as a course of tune up, set the timing however you find easiest. By ear, or the beer method is my recommendation, but whatever method you are comfortable with. If you are replacing the points, why not order a new distributor cap and rotor while you are at it! :thumb-up:

Nium
10-08-2010, 04:15 PM
What do you mean by "oil the rotor"?

Ignition timing should be checked and reset (if need be) whenever the point gap is adjusted. Gap .014"-.016". Gap 'em to the larger measurement as they'll wear to the smaller. Feeler gauges are readily available at Sears and any local auto parts store.

Cleaning with emory paper is OK but using a points file to square the points off again is better. Either procedure can be done with points in place, but probably easier with them out. The contact areas should be cylinders not domes.

If replacing points replace the condenser too.

A very small amount of dielectric grease on the following arm of the points ,where it contacts the dizzy shaft, will help prolong the life of the following arm.

Cheers!

NickDawson
10-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Ignition timing should be checked and reset (if need be) whenever the point gap is adjusted. Gap .014"-.016". Gap 'em to the larger measurement as they'll wear to the smaller. Feeler gauges are readily available at Sears and any local auto parts store

^^^ what he says. Nium is my trusted source for all things ports related - has helped me sort out more than one issue successfully!

LaneRover
10-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Personally I would leave the Condenser alone.

Donnie
10-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Personally I would leave the Condenser alone.
I agree with Lane Rover to a degree, if the points are transferring metal, as like one side is concave-the other domed--only then replace the cond..The points also should be a grey color..also use a file, not emory paper as it will leave a film. I would just get a new set & not dick around with them..Also if they are blue, the cond is not doing it's job. A dab of lube on the dist cam, & U R good to go...