PDA

View Full Version : Few little tasks before winter

rejeep
10-08-2010, 07:18 AM
I am managing two little projects before winter sets in here…

One thing led to another and I ended up with no Driver door the other day.. (RHD)
It’s the one door that never closed well, sealed decent, and rattled to hell…
I decided to pull the trigger and get a replacement.. So I stripped the door off and ordered a new Upper and lower half.. Need to grab some hardware and hinges today as well..

My second project just turned into an issue..
I am finally replacing my exhaust manifold on the 2.25P.. It has been cracked since I purchased the Rover..
I was amazed at how easy every nut was coming off until I got to the rearmost one on the exhaust manifold..
Rounded and Rusted…

I’m a bit stuck.. Any suggestions as to methods to remove would be appreciated..

KevinNY
10-08-2010, 07:29 AM
A nut splitter.

rejeep
10-08-2010, 07:47 AM
think there is enough room in there to get one of thoes?
I use to have one, but it was HUGE..
I tried with a vice grip last night, but same issue.. not enough wiggle room..

siiirhd88
10-08-2010, 07:53 AM
I'v had luck trying a smaller, usually metric, socket hammered onto the nut instead of the correct size. The manifold nuts usually take 1/2" wrench or socket, so I'd try a 12mm, in 6 point, then 12 point.

Bob

rejeep
10-08-2010, 08:44 PM
I used one of those bolt grabbers that bite in when turned left...
kinda like a bolt easy out...

Manifolds are off..
the joining studs are frozen into the exhaust manifold.. there is no hope I will get them out...
Cant I just bolt the intake to the exhaust manifold with 3" bolts??
I mocked it up a few min ago and I cant see any reason why it wouldnt work..

Meanwhile... when I took the exhaust manifold off the rear most ear of the manifold clunked to the floor...
I have been driving around with a fully cracked manifold for a lot longer than I thought...

Im not anticipating it to be significantly quieter, or for that matter much more power... but it has to make some kind of difference to have a good manifold on there...