PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak-then no coolant leak

artpeck
10-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Last weekend I drained and flushed the system it having been sitting mostly empty for 16 years. Filled with the proper mixture of coolant and water. Ran and had a seeping leak around then water pump area although i couldn't pin down exactly where it was leaking from. Enough that is was a steady drip until the engine cooled down. Ordered a new water pump on the assumption that like everything else with a rubber seal the seal had gone bad from sitting and age (1973 S3 with 31000 original miles).

Topped off the fluid yesterday and let it idle until hot and no leak.
My question is whether there is any reason to believe that the leak was a one time thing or it will again leak at most likely a bad time and I should bite the bullet and replace the pump. My instincts tell me to replace and get on with it while the lazy factor says wait it out a bit.

Other than changing the gear oils tomorrow this is the last thing remianing before actually taking her onto the road for a spin.

Appreciate any thoughts.

LR Max
10-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Unknown. The crap you flushed out is probably the same crap that kept everything sealed up.

I had a similar thing happen this morning. I had my heater core cleaned, told the guy that it never leaked. Well apparently it had SO MUCH crap in it, that the crap had sealed a few leaks :eek:. Fortunately the guy just fixed it.

Lets see if it is worth the $25 I spent...

luckyjoe
10-08-2010, 10:42 AM
The old pump was probably leaking from the weep hole, and after all that time siting it may or may not be usable. Since you bought the new pump, just swap it out. Keep the old one to rebuild as a future spare.

LR Max
10-08-2010, 10:48 AM
FYI, for water pump rebuild, find a friend with a press and pay him a beer.

For assembly, you'll see what I'm talking about and it'll be the best 6 pack you ever spent. Trying to assemble the thing with a hammer isn't as easy as it sounds.