PDA

View Full Version : Differential Gasket Thickness?

NRutterbush
10-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Hello All,

I forgot to click my differential to axle-housing gaskets from the "wishlist" to the "shopping list", so I was somewhat disappointed last night when my magic box of rover parts came on the brown truck.

I'd really like to put this thing together tomorrow!

Does anyone know what the gasket thickness is supposed to be for a 1961 axle? (The big round gasket between the drop-in differential housing assembly, and the axle housing.)

I could easily cut one from a roll of gasket material, but I'm worried that the wrong thickness could result in an axleshaft mis-alignment, as the third member does not rest at the proper depth in the axle housing.

Any thoughts are welcomed...

Nate

txffjim
10-08-2010, 04:26 PM
permatex works great if you don't have a gasket. Mine hasn't leaked (from that area) for 1 1/2 years. do a inner and outer seal with rings around the studs.

Terrys
10-08-2010, 04:45 PM
I just measured one at .045". The axles are pretty free to 'float' between the drive members and the spiders, so you could go anywhere between a sixteenth and just a thick film of permatex. OEM are just a thick paper material, and eventually leak anyway.

NRutterbush
10-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Thank you both for your input.

I was guessing that 1/16 was a pretty common gasket, and there had to be some wide tolerances on the axle shaft alignment.

The local industrial supply places will have much more modern papers, I assume with silicon saturation and higher-temp tolerances.

It has been a few years since I've designed a gasket application, but I can probably beat the performance of stock paper just by looking at what is on the rack.

My weekend is again complete!

jac04
10-08-2010, 07:47 PM
I just measured one at .045".
Same here.

gudjeon
10-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Make a gasket if you can. The one you buy is probably shrunk and too small to use anyhow. :thumb-up:

Les Parker
10-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Or get creative with an old cereal box and a ball pein hammer, to mark the edges and cut the shape out with a craft knife, or similar.

:D

I Leak Oil
10-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Brown paper grocery bags work well also. I just made my thermostat gaskets a few weeks ago with these. Carry a slice in your spares as well. Easier than trying to carry a gasket for everything.

scott
10-09-2010, 04:26 PM
just use permatex. gaskets are from an era when gooey sealants weren't around and for a diff a gasket isn't reallly needed.