PDA

View Full Version : Garage height

superstator
10-08-2010, 04:58 PM
I have thus far suffered through all my truck related projects either in the street, or a borrowed garage. But, we'll be looking at houses this weekend, and a suitable home for the Rover is high on the list of requirements. I'll measure mine, but the springs are pretty sagged out, and I'd love to have room to add a roof rack someday without letting the air out of the tires :). What's a comfortable clearance for a 109 wagon with parabolics, a rack, and reasonable tires?

LaneRover
10-08-2010, 06:21 PM
My 109 Wagon with older normal springs, 16" tires (235 85R/16) and a roof rack comes in at 7'1".

With Parabolics and bigger tires I would say that you would want at least 7'6".

gambrinus
10-08-2010, 06:43 PM
You'll want to be looking for a garage with an 8ft door.

Cutter
10-08-2010, 08:24 PM
I have a 109 w/ parabolics/rack/ decent sized tires and it comes in at 7'4", my garage door opening is maybe 7'8" at most, I think. It is tight to say the least. 8' is a safe height I'd think as well.

Wander
10-09-2010, 11:22 AM
8" is a stock door height so look for that. My garage is low and an odd height of just under 7". With the sun shield on my IIa I've got less than an inch clearance. No rack for me.

I've also been looking at homes lately and have paid attention to the garage opening height. If the house you like doesn't have the clearance, look at the amount of wall above the door and the height of the ceiling. A door opening came be made taller, I thought about doing that with my garage but decided to not spend the money here as we are thinking of buying or building in the near future.

NRutterbush
10-11-2010, 10:59 AM
This will sound obvious, but don't forget that not all doors open to the same position. You need to measure the garage with the door open, not just to the sill from the outside.

I've made this mistake before, and now my pickup lives outside of my really expensive house that I can't park in.

My wife claims that I can't park in the garage because of the piles of rover parts, but I know the real truth :cool:

I would actually look more at garage depth than height. In my region of California, most garages are 20x20 to the outside of the foundation wall. I would sacrafice interior space for a garage that was 24x24 or at least wide and deep enough to hold 2 full-size cars with room for benches and cabinets along all of the walls.

Good luck finding something!

lew_sa
10-11-2010, 11:08 AM
I use a set of Staun tire deflators to get my Dormobile to clear the garage. I'm running heavy duty parabolics and 32.5 x 9.5 BFG M/Ts. I have the deflators cut off around 10PSI and that leaves me 1" clearance into the garage.

R/,
Lew