PDA

View Full Version : Bolt size and length

Jim-ME
03-23-2007, 07:28 AM
I currently do not have any kind of hitch on the rear of my Series Rover. I plan on purchasing one of Ike's (Pangolin 4X4) receiver hitches. Can anyone tell me which length and size the mounting bolts are for a standard type hitch plate? Many thanks in advance,
Jim

Tim Smith
03-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Jim-ME,
You mean these hitch receivers?
http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/products/hitches/hitches.html

A word of caution. I've twisted my rear cross member using a brand-x version of these flat mount hitch receivers. You see the problem is that the ball of the hitch can end up being close to a foot away from the end of the frame which gives it too much leverage on the face of the frame.

If you find yourself in a situation with a heavy 35' camping trailer, going down a steep hill, around a blind bend, ON GRAVEL DURING PAVING SEASON LIKE I DID ONCE!!! :eek: you might get a bit of twisting on your frame too.

I switched to our hosts version of the heavy duty hitch receiver mount that holds the receiver under the frame and on the return journey with the trailer I had no problems.

My lightweight is a hard working truck at times, so I need to err on the side of heavy duty. :thumb-up:

Can't find the picture of the trailer in tow, but below is one of a sailboat I always end up towing to the L.I. sound for my friends. That boat is a 22 foot. My friends have upgraded to 25... Ach!

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=103&stc=1&d=1174675657

Jim-ME
03-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Yes that is the hitch I've looked at buying. I will only be towing a utility trailer; using a bike rack or something along that category. I don't think I will ever tow or pull anything large enough to torque the rear cross member but I really appreciate your advice. Thanks for the warning.
Jim

leafsprung
03-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Hello,
I dont do much serious towing. But Ive used these hitches on unbraked trailers in the 11-12k pound range on multiple crosscountry trips. Ive also never had one returned to me or heard of any failures resulting from using one. Im actually even more curious about how your lightweight can tow a 35 foot trailer??? My neighbor has a 24 foot camp trailer and his 340hp 07 durango BARELY handles it. Towing a 35 ft trailer with a lightweight seems unsafe in the extreme :eek:

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/towing.jpg

1961 109 WAGON
03-23-2007, 09:26 PM
ike, thats a nice shot of a rover towing a rover. are they both yours?

CliftonRover
03-23-2007, 11:36 PM
That tow rig has a chevy 350 and GM axles. It also has chevy 1/2 ton springs in the rear and rear rover springs upfront. its a pretty cool series I.

yorker
03-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Doesn't a 35' travel trailer kind of exceed the trailer rating for an 88? An 88 is rated for what? 4,000lbs? A 35 foot trailer is probably at least a ton more than that. Not to mention the wheelbase issues- talk about wag the dog!

Jim-ME
03-24-2007, 05:34 PM
I asked an innocent question. I really need to know what size and length the hitch plate mounting bolts are. Please can we get back to my origional question?
Thanks,
Jim

jac04
03-24-2007, 06:25 PM
When I mounted my tow jaw and mounting plate I used the following:

5/8" x 6" long hex head cap screw for the tow jaw to mounting plate to frame. These are the 2 lower bolt holes. Now, the tow jaw is 1" thick, so you could use a 5" long bolt if you are only bolting on the mounting plate.

3/8" x 4.5" long hex head cap screw for the mounting plate to frame. These are the 2 upper bolt holes.

I could not find the 5/8" bolts locally in anything other than Grade 1, so I ordered all Grade 5 bolts & corresponding nuts from Barnhill Bolt (www.barnhillbolt.com (http://www.barnhillbolt.com)).

I trust this is the information you were looking for.

Jim-ME
03-24-2007, 08:37 PM
that is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you so very much.
Jim

yorker
03-25-2007, 09:29 AM
I got mine at a Tractor Supply Co, store, they had a good variety in grade 5 and 8. I'm not sure if there is a TSC near you?
ttp://www.mytscstore.com

I thought RN had them too but maybe they don't.

Tim Smith
03-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Hello,
I dont do much serious towing. But Ive used these hitches on unbraked trailers in the 11-12k pound range on multiple crosscountry trips. Ive also never had one returned to me or heard of any failures resulting from using one. Im actually even more curious about how your lightweight can tow a 35 foot trailer??? My neighbor has a 24 foot camp trailer and his 340hp 07 durango BARELY handles it. Towing a 35 ft trailer with a lightweight seems unsafe in the extreme :eek:

Thanks for the cool picture leafsprung. I'm still looking for mine with the camper in tow...

How I towed it was in low axle, very carefully. Why I towed it was another story. Luckily I only had to bring it a few miles down the road and these were back roads, so not much traffic to negotiate.

I believe the failure in my frame came from the weight of the trailer pushing tow hitch in and down at the same time. The dead tung weight of the trailer isn't all that much but when you combine that with a steep hair pin turn, well...

So while I wouldn't consider this normal towing, I did have to reconsider the set up. When I unbolted the old hitch mount I realized that the material of the box frame is actually pretty thin sheet metal. That's in comparison to the mounting plate of say an f350 dump truck. Now that I've seen what can happen, I don't think I'd be too comfortable even towing the boat with that old mount but maybe thats just me.

I'm sure your mounts are good quality and will take all kinds of weight, I just want to warn anyone that might find themselves pulling a heavy trailer that they might find the point of failure will probably not be the mounting bracket.

Glad someone was able to help out the original poster.

Cheers!