PDA

View Full Version : Mystery switch/light

Cutter
10-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Now that I am actually getting to use my truck daily, I am noticing or at least getting around to asking about the oddities or broken bits. The central panel (?) in the dash on my truck has a yellow light that looks original, and a switch of some sort with a light in it with test written on it. It looks aftermarket to me, and doesn't actually toggle as far as I can tell- if you push/slide down it moves but is spring loaded so it resets when you take your finger off.

The yellow light will turn on when I turn on the turn signals and briefly stay lit. It doesn't blink on and off like the indicators on the dash. The other button does nothing. Not sure what either are for.

Is it just a hazard switch someone installed that is broken- seems strange because it doesn't actually stay switched on? Some day I'll pull it and see what it is wired into, but maybe I'm not even operating it correctly? Any thoughts?

http://kaijustudios.com/cutter/mysterything.jpg

siiirhd88
10-09-2010, 09:57 PM
In one of my English spec trucks the amber light was an indicating lamp for the rear fog lamp. The test button and red lamp is a brake pressure warning almp that should light in the event of a leak or bad master cylinder. It should be electrically connected to the hydraulic valve block / splitter located downstream of the lines exiting the brake master cylinder. It is a press to test the bulb....

Bob

Bostonian1976
10-12-2010, 04:03 PM
do you have an air locker?

jac04
10-12-2010, 04:46 PM
My bet is that the yellow light is a trailer light warning lamp. My SIII Lightweight has a yellow light on the dash for this purpose. Not exactly sure what it is supposed to do - never looked into it.