PDA

View Full Version : Coil Sprung Special Question

byrondesign
10-10-2010, 01:29 PM
I have an 88 with a seriuosly rusted chassis so it's time to do a frame up. Coil sprung specials are popular in England, has anyone in North America done one? Does anyone know if the Disco 1 suspension and axle parts will bolt onto a Marslands Defender 90 NAS chassis? Does anyone know if Richards or Marslands will do custom chassis building with late IIA outriggers and bulk head mounts and coil sprung suspension mounts?

Any info appreciated!

Byron
Vista, CA

lrdukdog
10-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Check here http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/6386 this may or maynot help
Jim Wolf

siiirhd88
10-10-2010, 03:42 PM
I know of a couple of coil sprung SWB in the U.S. that are using a chassis made by the English firm Designa Chassis. In both cases the trucks used a Series type steering relay and had the recessed breakfast position as stock. I know one of the major Rover parts places used to be the U.S. contact for the company, but I don't see the chassis listed on their web site at this time.

The Disco I bits should bolt up to a D90 chassis, as will the bulkhead from a SIIA or SIII. The wheelbase of the D90 is actually about 93", with the extra length at the tub. Since the tub is longer on a D90 than it is on an 88, your tub won't fit without modifications.

If you are a good fabricator you could always add the Series body outriggers and mounts to a RR or Disco I chassis......

If I were going to build a Series coiler I would try to find a Designa Chassis, make whatever mods I wanted, and than have it regalvanized.

Bob
'02 Disco II SD
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

byrondesign
10-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Found a couple of good links through the Guns And Rovers webpages and looked up the Designa website and they seem to offer what I'm looking for. Sent off an inquiry and will await pricing info.

Cheers!

Byron
Vista, CA

KevinNY
10-11-2010, 07:56 AM
I can't understand why Designa does not have a US distributor. There is plenty of interest and I think they would sell a good number. Most US series trucks are either in need of or already have been frame swapped and there are plenty of Disco 1 and RRC axles and suspensions laying around cheap too.

I Leak Oil
10-11-2010, 08:24 AM
ECR used to be their exclusive US distributor if I remember right. Perhaps it's still tied up with them? Doesn't make sense not to have a distrubutor here who wants to do business.

msggunny
10-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Doesn't make sense not to have a distrubutor here who wants to do business.

COUGH "take note RN" COUGH, COUGH.......

LR Max
10-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Check Rovers Down South. I think he either had defender chassis with axles and suspension or series specific stuff.

I wish I had gone with a coiler chassis when I did my swap. It'll ride like a champ.

yorker
10-11-2010, 11:47 AM
http://www.google.com/search?q=a+4X4+is+born&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7SUNA

mongoswede
10-11-2010, 02:13 PM
A friend of mine shortened a disco chassis for me down to an 88" wheelbase. It uses disco axles, steering etc. The project has been on hold until I finish the "other" 88" project. Cost wise it was no more or less than buying a Designa chassis and shipping to the USA.

I'd like to take a disco or rangie chassis in the future and put the series body work on it. Line the rear tub up appropriately with the rear wheels and then build a deeper cab as the disco wheelbase is 12" longer....making a more useable.

scatterling
10-11-2010, 04:03 PM
COUGH "take note RN" COUGH, COUGH.......

x2.

EdH
10-11-2010, 05:25 PM
There has been talk of a group buy. Count me in.

amcordo
10-11-2010, 07:11 PM
There has been talk of a group buy. Count me in.

Me too.

JDLalama
01-01-2011, 10:53 PM
I can't understand why Designa does not have a US distributor. There is plenty of interest and I think they would sell a good number. Most US series trucks are either in need of or already have been frame swapped and there are plenty of Disco 1 and RRC axles and suspensions laying around cheap too.

So, will Discovery axles fit (line up) under a Series III without any modification in reference to the overhang past the body while having the pumpkins still line up with the drive shafts. I am asking because when the time comes to do a frame swap (Haven't decided leaf or coil) would I want to do a front brake disc conversion or start shopping for a used Disco 1 for it's axles to put under my SIII?

mongoswede
01-02-2011, 02:34 AM
So, will Discovery axles fit (line up) under a Series III without any modification in reference to the overhang past the body while having the pumpkins still line up with the drive shafts. I am asking because when the time comes to do a frame swap (Haven't decided leaf or coil) would I want to do a front brake disc conversion or start shopping for a used Disco 1 for it's axles to put under my SIII?

The only noticeable differences are that the rangy/disco axles are 3.54:1 vs 4.77:1 ring and pinion ratios...disc brakes front and rear.....and they are a bit wider than series axles. They should work in a coiler frame but need some work to fit them to a leafer frame.

I Leak Oil
01-02-2011, 10:04 AM
The biggest hurdle you have to jump in looking at putting coiler axles in a leafer is the steering. No two pieces of matter can occupy the same space at the same time.....If it weren't for that I think the conversion would be very popular. But it's not, and for good reason.

mongoswede
01-02-2011, 11:36 AM
The biggest hurdle you have to jump in looking at putting coiler axles in a leafer is the steering. No two pieces of matter can occupy the same space at the same time.....If it weren't for that I think the conversion would be very popular. But it's not, and for good reason.

Oh....I thought the question was about putting disco axles on a designa chassis.....if they are going on a leaf chassis its a bit trickier...lots of stuff to cut off the axle tubes that will be in the way of the new leaf spring perches. However, one trick you can do to ease the steering is to replace the passenger side knuckle with a right hand drive unit...then you can put a connecting link up front instead of behind the axle which I think it is on disco axles.

JDLalama
01-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Oh....I thought the question was about putting disco axles on a designa chassis.....if they are going on a leaf chassis its a bit trickier...lots of stuff to cut off the axle tubes that will be in the way of the new leaf spring perches. However, one trick you can do to ease the steering is to replace the passenger side knuckle with a right hand drive unit...then you can put a connecting link up front instead of behind the axle which I think it is on disco axles.

I do have a RHD Series or do you mean a RHD donor axle. I was contemplating keeping it a leaf spring unit with parabolics, but I would like the performance of disc brakes and if I could find a RRC or Disco for not much more than a front disc brake conversion well, it just made sense to start on some homework.

Would the series ring and pinion fit in the RRC or Disco axle housing so I could keep the original gearing?

mongoswede
01-03-2011, 12:00 AM
I do have a RHD Series or do you mean a RHD donor axle. I was contemplating keeping it a leaf spring unit with parabolics, but I would like the performance of disc brakes and if I could find a RRC or Disco for not much more than a front disc brake conversion well, it just made sense to start on some homework.

Would the series ring and pinion fit in the RRC or Disco axle housing so I could keep the original gearing?

I meant using the knuckle from a rhd disco/rangie axle as that allows you to move the drag link to the front...which I think solves the interference problem with the leaves....but I might be incorrect.

You can put the series diffs in the older 10 spline range rover axles and maybe the earlier disco axles...but the discos went to a 24 spline axle mid 90's.

junkyddog11
01-03-2011, 06:22 AM

I tried to pull this off with Designa chassis, as well as our hosts blessing as they were both sending me inquiries. It all comes down to having to buy 10 chassis at a time to make it worth doing and there just is not enough interest when it comes down to actually spending the money, and that was just for the frame. When the actual cost of conversion is considered most people tend to stick with leaf springs. Even if they are doing their own work.

That said, I'm still working on it.

JDLalama
01-06-2011, 12:24 PM
I meant using the knuckle from a rhd disco/rangie axle as that allows you to move the drag link to the front...which I think solves the interference problem with the leaves....but I might be incorrect.

You can put the series diffs in the older 10 spline range rover axles and maybe the earlier disco axles...but the discos went to a 24 spline axle mid 90's.

Thank you for all the info. I think I will just keep my axles and eventually do a front disc brake conversion.

mongoswede
01-06-2011, 06:07 PM
I tried to pull this off with Designa chassis, as well as our hosts blessing as they were both sending me inquiries. It all comes down to having to buy 10 chassis at a time to make it worth doing and there just is not enough interest when it comes down to actually spending the money, and that was just for the frame. When the actual cost of conversion is considered most people tend to stick with leaf springs. Even if they are doing their own work.

That said, I'm still working on it.

on the Saab site my friends and I have put together we organized a group buy for 12 custom built limited slip differentials that cost around $1000 each and we managed to pull it off. There was a recent group buy on the moto forum I frequent for $1000 gas tanks...so it is doable. Get numbers for prices and post the idea to several forums and see what you can generate. Then set up some sort of account with secure payment etc...or maybe work it through a vendor like RN so they are a trusted broker....and if the group buy falls through then money will come back. Then go from there.