PDA

View Full Version : NEWB question on Parabolic springs

rejeep
10-12-2010, 10:41 AM
I just ordered a set of RM Parabolic spring for my 109..

I have a few questions:
I will preface this by saying that I am by no means new to suspension or leaf springs for the matter.
I own several Jeeps I have replaced, rebuilt, lifted, etc.. I know my way around a leaf spring vehicle..

I read through their instruction on installation and email from the RM

“You should really disassemble the shackle completely and check all the parts for wear. The spring does not just 'hang' on the shackle, there is an assembly sequence that pre-loads the spring bushing slightly when its torqued up. In case I have not mentioned it before you must have all four bump stops in place and check straps on the rear.”

In all my experience I have always just installed “hung” the springs and torque everything once it was on the ground..
I must admit I probably do need to check bump stops and straps, but how important is the “assembly sequence that pre-loads the spring bushing?”
I’m not adverse to following directions.. I just wanted to know what people have done on their own installations.

LaneRover
10-12-2010, 01:34 PM
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]I must admit I probably do need to check bump stops and straps, but how important is the “assembly sequence that pre-loads the spring bushing?”

I believe that it is telling you to do what you always do, assemble but don't tighten everything until the truck is sitting on the springs.