PDA

View Full Version : headlights work on high not on low ??

glbft1
10-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Greetings,
Jumped into the rig today turned my lights they work fine on high nada on low
wondering if one goes out do they both not work, the rig has the old 6 way
military switch seems quite good any suggestions??

Thanks
Greg

TeriAnn
10-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Greetings,

If it has a foot high low beam switch, replace it. If that 6 way switch switches between high & low beam hit it with contact cleaner if you can get inside it.

graniterover
10-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Just happened to me - same truck. As TerriAnn notes, it's likely your hi/low foot switch.

For the record, someone else diagnosed this for me. I just bought the switch!

Greetings,

Thanks
Greg

Terrys
10-13-2010, 09:16 AM
You didn't say if you have an S2A or S3. If it's a 2A, as others have said, it's most likely the foot switch. If it's and S3, the dipper is in the stalk, but still is likely to be the dipper switch, and not the military headlight switch. If the light go on at all, that indicates the main switch is still OK.

Andrew IIA
10-13-2010, 09:55 AM
I had success with a similar situation by removing the floor hi/low switch and cleaning it thoroughly (switch and connectors, a little sand paper to scrub off the corrosion) and reinstalling it with some fresh dielectric grease on all the connections.

LR Max
10-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Floor switch.

However watch out!! The newer foot switches don't share the same connector as the old one. So be prepared to make something work.

amcordo
10-13-2010, 11:22 AM
What's a foot switch?

stomper
10-13-2010, 11:30 AM
You are joking right, Amcordo? It is a switch on the floor that you press with your foot, to turn the high beam/ low beam function on the headlights.

Helps you keep your arm around your lady while driving at night!:thumb-up:

LR Max
10-13-2010, 12:48 PM
What's a foot switch?

It is a giant button on the floor. You tap it/stomp it (depending on how rusted it is) to toggle between high beams and low beams.

To test the switch, unplug it and jump the wires, see if your lights work. If they do, there is your problem. If not, then look elsewhere.

Andrew IIA
10-13-2010, 01:15 PM
You are joking right, Amcordo? It is a switch on the floor that you press with your foot, to turn the high beam/ low beam function on the headlights.

Helps you keep your arm around your lady while driving at night!:thumb-up:

and usually the only time you need to step (stomp) on it is when you already have that foot holding down the clutch pedal :D

LaneRover
10-13-2010, 01:26 PM
It is a giant button on the floor. You tap it/stomp it (depending on how rusted it is) to toggle between high beams and low beams.

To test the switch, unplug it and jump the wires, see if your lights work. If they do, there is your problem. If not, then look elsewhere.

It is also used as a 'how rusty are your footwells' test

Tim Smith
10-13-2010, 03:30 PM
It is also used as a 'how rusty are your footwells' test
Indeed. My switch fell out years ago. :eek:

glbft1
10-14-2010, 05:54 AM
Thanks everyone this forum saves us all alot of headaches, if anyone is going to winter romp in maine I owe you a beer!:thumb-up:

Cheers

2rovers
10-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Another one here with a THANKS to TerriAnn!! Once I got the rusty nuts and bolts off, a new switch installed and good to go with all light working!!

amcordo
10-19-2010, 02:58 PM
and usually the only time you need to step (stomp) on it is when you already have that foot holding down the clutch pedal :D

Ah. My high/low toggle is on the turn signal wand; never heard of it on the floor. There's so much going on near the floor boards of this vehicle, three pedals, three shifters, a brake, and now a switch. How many appendages do the British have?

Terrys
10-19-2010, 03:27 PM
It's not a British thing. Every American car had a floor mounted dipper switch until the early 70s, and most pickups to about '86

bkreutz
10-19-2010, 06:46 PM
And if you go far enough back, the starter switch was on the floor too. (good thing you don't have to push more than 2 at a time. )