1 Series transfer box........$free + adapter
4.3 V6 or yota 6 or Merc diesel....$TBD
1 rear locker...................$500
1 LSD front.....................$500
1 exhaust system............$200 - 500
Stock EFI.......................$free
Carb..............................$
Megasquirt.....................$500

Ball park $12k - $13K for parts + personal labor. Another $1000 for paint.
now if I can just rewind the clock and skip the prior rover investments...I will be all set :thumb-up:

KevinNY
10-14-2010, 07:25 AM
It's all the little bits that kill you,double that number. Hardware, dash parts,lenses, steering, fuel system, ad infinitum...

mongoswede
10-14-2010, 07:39 AM
It's all the little bits that kill you,double that number. Hardware, dash parts,lenses, steering, fuel system, ad infinitum...

Actually have enough parts now to build 3 trucks...with the exception of chassis. I am actually building 2 trucks now. Its just that If I could go back in time knowing what I know now.....classic scenario.

Donnie
10-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Actually have enough parts now to build 3 trucks...with the exception of chassis. I am actually building 2 trucks now. Its just that If I could go back in time knowing what I know now.....classic scenario.
"knowing what I know now"-----------which is???

LR Max
10-14-2010, 08:46 AM
For the price of the adapter, you could probably install a Dana 300.

Hello twin stick!! :thumb-up:

Skip the megasquirt and get a 4.3 with all the bits on it. Then send off the ECU to get reprogrammed. Will be cheaper and easier than going megasquirt. Also it'll just work.

solihull109
10-14-2010, 09:50 AM
mongoswede,.... this is obviously not going to be some accurate resto, so with that out of the way, why would you go through all of this to put the truck on stock length springs? Mega squirt?. An AX-15,... they're not that great. I mean, if you already had said parts without any outlay of cash, ... maybe. But if you're going to be purchasing this stuff??? You are trying to recreate the wheel here, and using the so-so parts. I'd rethink this.:thumb-up: A defender bulkhead for $1750?... keep shopping friend.

Even if you're pulling the trigger yourself, .. $1000 bucks for paint is low,... unless you're shooting implement paint.

mongoswede
10-14-2010, 11:19 AM
mongoswede,.... this is obviously not going to be some accurate resto, so with that out of the way, why would you go through all of this to put the truck on stock length springs? Mega squirt?. An AX-15,... they're not that great. I mean, if you already had said parts without any outlay of cash, ... maybe. But if you're going to be purchasing this stuff??? You are trying to recreate the wheel here, and using the so-so parts. I'd rethink this.:thumb-up: A defender bulkhead for $1750?... keep shopping friend.

Even if you're pulling the trigger yourself, .. $1000 bucks for paint is low,... unless you're shooting implement paint.

All thoughts are appreciated. Welcome to my psychosis :)

I just threw big components and prices up...sort of a thought in process. The RN price on a Defender 90/110 (brand new) bulkhead is $1699 I think. I have 2 Series IIA bulkheads that need some repair work. I've thought about these projects pretty much every day for 2 years since I bought my 73. I am aware of all the engine and transmission combos, transfer cases, axles, springs, etc etc. The AX15 is a tough gear box that can be gotten for cheap and will handle any amount of power I will be putting through (There are a ton of jeeps with em around here). My recollection on the Dana 300 transfer case is that its a rear center drop. My recollection on running a centered rear axle in a rover chassis was that it required some chassis mods....not a big deal if its an older chassis...if its a nice new galvanized unit I'd rather not cut into it. Maybe the 109's have enough clearance on the drive shaft that this would not be an issue. For a leaf vehicle the Land Cruiser axles are cheap, can be gotten with disc brake fronts, and will be much stronger in stock form than any rover axle.

My dream build would be the 5 cylinder turbo diesel motor out of an earlier sprinter van mated to a 5 or 6 speed box.

Paint: yeah I threw a number up. I have access to the resources and space to do the painting myself. Honestly have no interest in a resto build but want a solid truck.

"What I know now" : Mostly that rovers are stupidly simple machines that are made out of a few aluminum panels and some very simple steel bits. Also that I'd have been better off building one from the ground up given that I could have tailored it as I like.

But you know what they say: "hindsight is worth a thousand words" and "people who live in glass houses sink ships". :thumb-up:

LR Max
10-14-2010, 12:45 PM
it required some chassis mods

Sorry old chap, but your ENTIRE setup is going to require chassis mods. If that is the case, then a brand new galvy chassis might not be what you need.

I'd be HIGHLY surprised if a 4.3 or diesel had the same mounting locations as the 2.25/2.6/rover whatever. You are already in that boat, might as well go all the way.

Same with the bulkhead. There is a significant possibility that you'll need modifications to fit the engine and trans. Once again, I'd be surprised if the AX-15 will be the same dimensions as the series transfer case.

Oh, ditch the AX-15 and get a NV3550. VERY nice trans. Or a newer NSG-370. ^ speed manuals are *AWESOME*!!! I think the 3550 and the 370 are both found behind higher horsepower vehicles in stock trim, so I'd feel better with one of those.

If memory serves, the AX-15 likes to chew up 2nd...or 3rd...can't remember which one. Oh, and 5th.

Sorry to be all poo poo about this, but I'm just trying to throw some extra thoughts out there.

yorker
10-14-2010, 12:58 PM
My dream build would be the 5 cylinder turbo diesel motor out of an earlier sprinter van mated to a 5 or 6 speed box. :thumb-up:

Awe come on. if you are going to build from scratch from the ground up build around a Cummins.

http://albany.craigslist.org/pts/1984731034.html
:D

mongoswede
10-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Sorry old chap, but your ENTIRE setup is going to require chassis mods. If that is the case, then a brand new galvy chassis might not be what you need.

I'd be HIGHLY surprised if a 4.3 or diesel had the same mounting locations as the 2.25/2.6/rover whatever. You are already in that boat, might as well go all the way.

Same with the bulkhead. There is a significant possibility that you'll need modifications to fit the engine and trans. Once again, I'd be surprised if the AX-15 will be the same dimensions as the series transfer case.

Oh, ditch the AX-15 and get a NV3550. VERY nice trans. Or a newer NSG-370. ^ speed manuals are *AWESOME*!!! I think the 3550 and the 370 are both found behind higher horsepower vehicles in stock trim, so I'd feel better with one of those.

If memory serves, the AX-15 likes to chew up 2nd...or 3rd...can't remember which one. Oh, and 5th.

Sorry to be all poo poo about this, but I'm just trying to throw some extra thoughts out there.

Don't worry.....poo poo is valuable some times. Yeah, I expect the bulkhead would need mods. The chassis might not need mods depending on what is used....motor mounts can be fabricated.

Right now I have to finish the 88" and sell it. Sell off my 109" and finish my hybrid. It took a few years to realize I really wanted a 109 3 door hard top.

scatterling
10-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Don't worry.....poo poo is valuable some times. Yeah, I expect the bulkhead would need mods. The chassis might not need mods depending on what is used....motor mounts can be fabricated.

Right now I have to finish the 88" and sell it. Sell off my 109" and finish my hybrid. It took a few years to realize I really wanted a 109 3 door hard top.

Hey Mongo, I still have the frame if you're interested

Tim Smith
10-15-2010, 06:26 AM
Got any info on the EFI and mega squirt? Unfortunately I'll be incommunicado for the next few weeks but feel free to drop me an email at smithco1@gmail.com and I'll be in touch.

The mega squirt and mega jolt conversion is tempting me.