PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive suddenly got very loud

Alk-3
10-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Hey everyone. I took my rover offroading last weekend and got it completely stick in the mud/water. Got so stuck that I ripped my warn 8274 right off the front of the truck and had to hike out for help. The wife was unimpressed as she was riding shotgun at the time :eek:
Anyway, the truck sat in the mud up to the headlights for about two hours while I tried to get help, and now after cleaning everything and doing a complete lube change, the overdrive is wicked loud. The oil that came out of the overdrive didn't appear to have any water or anything else in it, so I'm not sure what exactly the problem is.
I know these things are typically loud, but in the couple years I've owned it it's always been quiet, and by quiet I mean you couldn't hear a difference between it being in or out of gear.
Now it's so loud that I need to wear ear plugs for fear of hearing damage.
Anyone have a guess as to why this happened so suddenly? Is there a particular gear or other part that wears causing the unit to make so much noise?
At this point it's not worth having, so I'm either going to fix it, or get rid of it and get a new one as living with the noise is not an option.
Any insight is helpful!

It is a fairey unit.
I use Lucas gear lube 75w 90 (vie always used this lube, and it's always been quiet till now)

msggunny
10-16-2010, 06:40 AM
Hey everyone. I took my rover offroading last weekend and got it completely stick in the mud/water. Got so stuck that I ripped my warn 8274 right off the front of the truck and had to hike out for help. The wife was unimpressed as she was riding shotgun at the time :eek:
Anyway, the truck sat in the mud up to the headlights for about two hours while I tried to get help, and now after cleaning everything and doing a complete lube change, the overdrive is wicked loud. The oil that came out of the overdrive didn't appear to have any water or anything else in it, so I'm not sure what exactly the problem is.
I know these things are typically loud, but in the couple years I've owned it it's always been quiet, and by quiet I mean you couldn't hear a difference between it being in or out of gear.
Now it's so loud that I need to wear ear plugs for fear of hearing damage.
Anyone have a guess as to why this happened so suddenly? Is there a particular gear or other part that wears causing the unit to make so much noise?
At this point it's not worth having, so I'm either going to fix it, or get rid of it and get a new one as living with the noise is not an option.
Any insight is helpful!

It is a fairey unit.
I use Lucas gear lube 75w 90 (vie always used this lube, and it's always been quiet till now)

Did you have the OD in gear at any time while you were off roading?

If no one can come up with something, give George at RDS a call. www.roversdownsouth.com

He is supposedly "the" Fairey man.

Alk-3
10-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Did you have the OD in gear at any time while you were off roading?

If no one can come up with something, give George at RDS a call. www.roversdownsouth.com

He is supposedly "the" Fairey man.

I don't remember if it was or not, but if it was, it certainly wasn't for long.