PDA

View Full Version : hole in my fender, for heater?

BobJones
10-16-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm wondering if this hole is from the PO, or if it's from a heater for fresh air. There was no heater when I got the truck. Anyone know which heater would best suite a SERII in Canada. I assume a Kodiac, but don't know which one or where to get one.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_2IUnSwq3l7s/TLpq01F3azI/AAAAAAAAAU0/UDnEd2MaWbA/s640/059.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2IUnSwq3l7s/TLpqnwysbFI/AAAAAAAAAUU/hI5HXPez7I8/s640/066.JPG

albersj51
10-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Im pretty sure that's not a stock hole. I hear the kodiak is best and that Pangolin4x4.com may have some. I also hear the mt mansfield from our hosts is good.

lrdukdog
10-17-2010, 01:32 AM
Have no idea about hole #1 never seen one like it. Hole #2 is for the "shin burner" SII, SIIA heater, stay away from that one they don't call it shin burner for no reason, as stated a above give Ike at Pangolin 4X4 a shout.
Jim Wolf

stonefox
10-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Thats a nice looking truck J ! Does the Capstan winch work? Do you have other pics posted of your truck some were? If not do show.
I've been told that the Kodiak III and IV are the better ones,I have a III yet to be installed I'm waiting on a heater distrubution box and defrost vents.

J.McKelvey
10-17-2010, 08:21 AM
I holes in the second picture are for sure for a Smith heater (Shin burner).

The first picture is an air intake for a odd type of heater that was used on some rovers imported into Canada. I'm not sure of the make but I think it it was another type of smith heater.

czenkov
10-17-2010, 09:05 AM
I believe some Kodiaks did get its fresh air from the front of the Rover. However that one definitely looks homemade and could have been for just about anything. I am sure more knowledgeable people will chime in - like Ike.

LaneRover
10-17-2010, 09:38 AM
I agree that the 2nd photo are holes for the shin burner - or for a shin burner and for the next one of dubious ancestry that was put in after the shin burner broke.

My guess for the first photo is that the original owner was lifting the hood when holding a pistol, the pistol went off blowing a hole in the fender and the previous owner only knew how to fix a big hole.

I wouldn't be surprised if the hole in the fender is for some sort of access for something mounted on the front. Bracket to hold something? Access hole so that they could get at some part of a winch? You know, kind of like putting a hole in the side of your garage so you can pull a half shaft out.

OK OK So an access point wouldn't be need for THAT winch.

gudjeon
10-17-2010, 12:20 PM
I put in one of these, The 219 dollar jobbie.
http://vancouver.flyerland.ca/products/winter-accessories-category-3300/price-4

Kicks butt over the Kodiak. There is more than enough fresh air drawn into the cab from other sources to worry. Recirculating the air warms up already warmer air quicker. Pm me for a pic of how I put it in, plumbed it and made defrost vents if you want. I have to open a window still when it gets very cold as this thing drives me out. Insulating the top, doors, and sides, is a must for Canuck winters. Originality be damned, I want to to keep warm.:thumb-up:

BobJones
10-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Thats a nice looking truck J ! Does the Capstan winch work? Do you have other pics posted of your truck some were? If not do show.
I've been told that the Kodiak III and IV are the better ones,I have a III yet to be installed I'm waiting on a heater distrubution box and defrost vents.

Thanks, Yes the capstan works but I havent but it through it's paces. I just posted a few pics in " show us your series "

TeriAnn
10-18-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm wondering if this hole is from the PO, or if it's from a heater for fresh air.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_2IUnSwq3l7s/TLpq01F3azI/AAAAAAAAAU0/UDnEd2MaWbA/s640/059.JPG

One of the early versions of the Kodiak heater does indeed draw its fresh air from that location. But I believe the intake hole is shaped differently. The version of Kodiak with that location intake also has some large hoops suspended from the underside of the wing top to support the intake hose.

gambrinus
10-18-2010, 05:05 PM
I always seen the Kodiaks that draw air from the front routed to the small spot below the headlight... behind the breakfast. NEVER cut into the wing like that...

RW

TeriAnn
10-19-2010, 07:43 AM
I always seen the Kodiaks that draw air from the front routed to the small spot below the headlight... behind the breakfast. NEVER cut into the wing like that...

I believe the first Kodiak version has the fresh air intake on the radiator bulkhead as you mentioned. The second version had the intake opening on the inner wing panel just forward of the radiator bulkhead where the hole in question is located. Later all versions after that had the intake hole near the back of the outer wing panel. Both early routing versions were in production for a short time.

I really should get around to documenting the early ones one of these days. Anyone have some good jpegs I could use?

Eric W S
10-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Ike would be the best bet. His pages on the Kodiaks are the only real thing out there now...

TeriAnn
10-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Ike would be the best bet. His pages on the Kodiaks are the only real thing out there now...

Don't I at least get an E for effort even if you don't think it is real?? :(

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Kodiak_heater.htm

Rich Lambert
10-19-2010, 09:16 PM
My '58 has the same hole. Here's a shot of the heater that was in it. I don't know what make it is.

http://granitehead.smugmug.com/Trucks/1958-Land-Rover/DSC01910/631461574_Pp7Xu-L.jpg

Here's all the pieces.
http://granitehead.smugmug.com/Trucks/1958-Land-Rover/DSC01923/677694395_cgoV6-L.jpg

Looks they tried a couple of times to get the holes right for the water lines into the heater core.
http://granitehead.smugmug.com/Trucks/1958-Land-Rover/DSC01890/630436843_2dPcW-L.jpg

Hole in the fender.
http://granitehead.smugmug.com/Trucks/1958-Land-Rover/DSC02018/682964573_xyuqy-L.jpg

Rich Lambert
10-19-2010, 09:28 PM
After looking at the link on TeriAnn's web site, it would appear I've got a Kodiak Mark I. I do seem to recall that the PO mentioned something about my truck being from Canada.

albersj51
10-19-2010, 10:11 PM
If i remember Ikes site correctly, the Kodiak MKI is very rare.

lrdukdog
10-19-2010, 10:18 PM

TAW you get an A+ in my book!!!:thumb-up:
Jim Wolf

gudjeon
10-19-2010, 10:39 PM
I do recall a metal plate on Kodiak units stating the manufacturing by the Eaton Corporation of Canada.:confused:

Eric W S
10-20-2010, 07:52 AM

No. I don't believe in the whole E thing.

TeriAnn
10-20-2010, 07:53 AM
My '58 has the same hole. Here's a shot of the heater that was in it. I don't know what make it is.

Hey Rich, Did you take these pictures? And if yes, may I have your permission to use them on the Kodiak page of my web site?

Here's a thought for the original posting to this thread.

Since the Kodiak heater was a North America dealer installed option, could the truck have been delivered from the factory with a shin burner heater and the original owner opted to buy the optional Kodiak heater? It would certainly explain 2 sets of heater holes. The factory interior upholstery would cover the extra bulkhead holes as I'm sure the dealer also put plugs in them as well. Or it could be the owner bought it with the stock LR heater and came back after the first really cold days wanting a heater upgrade.

J.McKelvey
10-20-2010, 07:54 AM
I thought some rovers came with heaters like that. After that model they went to the more popular (and more common) model.

I haven't seen one in that good of shape! Usually they are rusted out. The last one I saw had dryer hose wraped around it.

John

TeriAnn
10-20-2010, 08:06 AM
I thought some rovers came with heaters like that. After that model they went to the more popular (and more common) model.

Kodiaks were a North American dealer option. Kodiaks were not installed at the factory, but in the dealer's shoppe. Which accounts for a lot of slight variations in instillation. The Land Rover FAQ web site has Jpegs of the Kodiak MKIII instillation instructions (linked to from my Kodiak page).

So far I really don't have anything on the MK I and MK II.

JohnOFromJersey
10-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Did any of these Kodiaks (or any other heaters) ever attempt to heat recirculated air??? I have the standard Smiths and it seems to me the limiting factor is that it's always trying to heat fresh (possibly very cold) air thus making the job that much harder. (Not that I'm against fresh air or anything ;-)). Just wondering if there's a more efficient way.

JO

TeriAnn
10-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Did any of these Kodiaks (or any other heaters) ever attempt to heat recirculated air??? I have the standard Smiths and it seems to me the limiting factor is that it's always trying to heat fresh (possibly very cold) air thus making the job that much harder. (Not that I'm against fresh air or anything ;-)). Just wondering if there's a more efficient way.

No the Kodiaks don't do recycled air. The best they can do is restrict the amount of cold air coming in.

I modified my MKIII intake the old fashion way. I replaced the intake hose with a plastic pipe 'T' from my local hardware store and cut a hole in my bulkhead to fit the bottom of the T to go through. Being decidedly low tech, I just have a plug that I place at the bottom of the 'T' in the summer half of the year to revert the heater to fresh air only so I can chase away cool night temps. Then place on the end the goes out the side of the wing for the winter half of the year to maximize heat by making the Kodiak a recycling heater. A thing to remember is that recirculating air maximizes dew on the inside surfaces including inside of the windscreen when it is raining and water has leaked in through the super effective Series door seals. cold air drawn in from the outside tends to be less humid than warm interior air when the floors are wet. Recirculating air can be a double sided sword in a cold rain storm but is a big plus when it is cold and not raining.

I'm sure someone who was handy at plastic fabrication could adapt the Kodiak input flapper to the plastic piping 'T' so it could use the stock vent lever to change between recycling and fresh air. I tossed those parts about 30 years ago to try and get more air flow. It didn't help.

Rich Lambert
10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Hey Rich, Did you take these pictures? And if yes, may I have your permission to use them on the Kodiak page of my web site?

Yes, and absolutely...let me know if you need any detail shots.

yorker
10-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Did any of these Kodiaks (or any other heaters) ever attempt to heat recirculated air???
JO

Fresh cold air when heated = dry air, that is why they do that. Same reason why the AC kicks on with modern defrosters. Otherwise over time you start blowing warm moist air on the cold windows etc. If you are having problems with it you might need to look at your seals (door and otherwise) or a new heater core or perhaps even the double heater core mod.

TeriAnn
10-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Yes, and absolutely...let me know if you need any detail shots.

THANK YOU.

if you could two close up shot of each of the parts from different sides would be absolutely super.

THANKS

J.McKelvey
10-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to apply that they came from the factory with Kodiaks but just in general most Canadian rovers came with them from the dealer.

Kodiaks were a North American dealer option. Kodiaks were not installed at the factory, but in the dealer's shoppe. Which accounts for a lot of slight variations in instillation. The Land Rover FAQ web site has Jpegs of the Kodiak MKIII instillation instructions (linked to from my Kodiak page).

So far I really don't have anything on the MK I and MK II.

luckyjoe
10-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Same reason why the AC kicks on with modern defrosters.

Unless you drive a Ford! When I travel I refuse to rent Fords because they override the AC when Defrost is selected!

yorker
10-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Unless you drive a Ford! When I travel I refuse to rent Fords because they override the AC when Defrost is selected!

Really? :confused:That is probably a new trick to eke out a couple more MPG for CAFE Standards.

BobJones
10-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Wow thanks for all the input everyone. Great pics Rich, and great info TeriAnn. So It seems that the Mk1 Kodiak was in my rover at some point but is long gone and I doubt I'll be able to find parts anywhere. It would be cool to go original, but not likely to happen unless someone happens to have a full Mk1 lying around? Anyway thanks for solving my mystery heater question.

Momo
10-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Series II Land Rovers with upgraded heaters had the intake on the inboard right front fender and at some point it migrated to the breakfast below the right hand headlight. My 1960 109 has a circular hole in the fender and I've seen quite a few others with the same setup. This would be for a Smith's heater. The square hole is a new one on me, but it looks as if the is supposed to be a separate mounting plate/flange bolted on there with wire mesh screen. Maybe the square hole is specific to the Mark I Kodiak?

Here's a pic of mine, not the best since it isn't close up but best I can do right now. Anyway, you can see the intake.

carl k
10-22-2010, 11:57 AM
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii343/oldvespa/roverparts/kodiaksticker.jpg

I found this image somewhere on the web- looks like the Mk. IV heaters were made by Hupp Corporation.

Carl K.

TeriAnn
10-22-2010, 12:49 PM
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii343/oldvespa/roverparts/kodiaksticker.jpg

I found this image somewhere on the web- looks like the Mk. IV heaters were made by Hupp Corporation.

Carl K.

Carl, May I use your picture in the Kodiak page of my web site?

Momo
10-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Well that's a neat piece of trivia since Hupp Corp. was the formerly Hupp Motor Car Co., makers of the Hupmobile. Never knew that about the Kodiaks!
I wonder if there's an NOS parts stash somewhere in Cleveland...

carl k
10-25-2010, 10:36 AM
TeriAnn-

You are welcome to use the image on your site, but remember I grabbed it off the web and I can't recall where.

Carl K.