PDA

View Full Version : grey market daily driver insurance?

Broadstone
10-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I have imported vehicles before and insured with an antique policy as they were not driven often. I am going to insure a grey market 110 CSW that will be a daily driver, so I do not want the limited coverage and stipulations of an antique policy. My regular car insurance will not cover grey market vehicles even though there is documentation proving its legal (as soon as I gave them the vin number they said no). I was just curious what other people are using for insurance for their every day driver that is an import, (mainly recent imports such as 90 and 110). Posted here instead of defender section as this area seems most helpful. Thanks!!

LR Max
10-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Change insurance companies. I have a local insurance company that has insured a 73' 109 for 10 years.

Do yourself a favor, no matter what, tell them it is a "sometimes" vehicle. Put your primary as your Honda or whatever you've got. That is my setup. My "primary" is my car and my "sometimes" is my rover, which is the case in reality.

greenmeanie
10-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Same comment as above. I have my 101 under a normal insurance policy with 2nd from top level of coverage. No questions asked other than what is it? What year? and a short discussoin about how 101 does not equal 110.

Now if you want real piece of mind I would get an agreed value policy. That way you can't be stiffed on replacement cost if the worst happens.

JackIIA
10-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Now if you want real piece of mind I would get an agreed value policy. That way you can't be stiffed on replacement cost if the worst happens.

Definitely.

gambrinus
10-18-2010, 05:03 PM
I just wish that you were in CO, then I could be your insurance agent and take care of it for you.:D

RW

amcordo
10-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Can't really speak to "gray market" cause my landy is on the up and up, but Liberty Mutual was more than happy to take care of me. I think they had to create the car in their database though because they couldn't find it right away and kept asking for more details. I went with agreed value. Somewhere around 10k of coverage (for the car itself, ignoring medical and whatever the payout is for the other person in an accident). I think I'm paying less than $50/mo with a $250.00 deductible.

Broadstone
10-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Amcordo Just to be clear Grey market means it was built for and sold in a market outside the United states and is then imported. This term has nothing to do with legality. Pretty sure yours is "grey" being a 1973 109 5 door as they were not sold in the states in the series III version.

If anyone has insurance company names I would appreciate that.

albersj51
10-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Mine was brought over in 94 by the PO. I use Hartford and they didn't think twice about taking my money.

RoverForm
10-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Amcordo Just to be clear Grey market means it was built for and sold in a market outside the United states and is then imported. This term has nothing to do with legality. Pretty sure yours is "grey" being a 1973 109 5 door as they were not sold in the states in the series III version.
so then would it be correct to say that all RHDs are grey?

msggunny
10-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Used USAA before and now with GEICO on the 77 SIII. No issues.

Broadstone
10-21-2010, 06:20 PM
yes I believe so, unless there was a special order made by a purchaser for a certain reason such as taking it on on expedition or perhaps a postal delivery truck.

RoverForm
10-21-2010, 06:31 PM
also with geico, also no issues. but i doubt they would be able to do an agreed value policy without an appraisal.

are there any appraisal houses out there?